Accounting Measures of Corporate Liquidity, Leverage, and Costs of Financial Distress
AbstractLiquid assets such as cash and marketable securities constitute a considerable portion of total assets, say 6.3% to 9.6%, of manufacturing firms. Financial managers pay a lot of attention to the measurement and management of corporate liquidity. It has also been recognized that a consequence of severe shortage of liquidity is financial distress. This study analyzes the relationship of the costs of financial distress to the level of corporate liquidity maintained and leverage.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Financial Management Association in its journal Financial Management.
Volume (Year): 22 (1993)
Issue (Month): 3 (Fall)
Contact details of provider:
Postal: University of South Florida 4202 E. Fowler Ave. COBA #3331 Tampa, FL 33620
Web page: http://www.fma.org/
More information through EDIRC
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Julio Pindado & Luis Rodrigues, 2005. "Determinants of Financial Distress Costs," Financial Markets and Portfolio Management, Springer, vol. 19(4), pages 343-359, December.
- D'Mello, Ranjan & Krishnaswami, Sudha & Larkin, Patrick J., 2008. "Determinants of corporate cash holdings: Evidence from spin-offs," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 32(7), pages 1209-1220, July.
- Tim Opler & Lee Pinkowitz & Rene Stulz & Rohan Williamson, 1997.
"The Determinants and Implications of Corporate Cash Holdings,"
NBER Working Papers
6234, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Opler, Tim & Pinkowitz, Lee & Stulz, Rene & Williamson, Rohan, 1999. "The determinants and implications of corporate cash holdings," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 52(1), pages 3-46, April.
- Shin, Hyun-Han & Kim, Yong H., 2002. "Agency costs and efficiency of business capital investment: evidence from quarterly capital expenditures," Journal of Corporate Finance, Elsevier, vol. 8(2), pages 139-158, March.
- Iskandar-Datta, Mai E. & Jia, Yonghong, 2012. "Cross-country analysis of secular cash trends," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 36(3), pages 898-912.
- Saddour, Khaoula, 2006. "Why do French firms hold cash ?," Economics Papers from University Paris Dauphine 123456789/1207, Paris Dauphine University.
- Aleksander Berentsen & Mariana Rojas Breu & Shouyong Shi, 2009.
"Liquidity, innovation and growth,"
IEW - Working Papers
441, Institute for Empirical Research in Economics - University of Zurich, revised Oct 2012.
- Aleksander Berentsen & Mariana Rojas Breu & Shouyong Shi, 2009. "Liquidity, Innovation and Growth," Working Papers tecipa-371, University of Toronto, Department of Economics.
- Aleksander Berentsen & Mariana Rojas Breu & Shouyong Shi, 2012. "Liquidity, Innovation and Growth," Working Papers tecipa-467, University of Toronto, Department of Economics.
- Shouyong, Shi & Berentsen, Aleksander & Rojas Breu, Mariana, 2012. "Liquidity, Innovation and Growth," Economics Papers from University Paris Dauphine 123456789/7354, Paris Dauphine University.
- Cafer Kaplan & Erdal Ozmen & Cihan Yalcin, 2006. "The Determinants and Implications of Financial Asset Holdings of Non-Financial Firms in Turkey : An Emprical Investigation," Working Papers 0606, Research and Monetary Policy Department, Central Bank of the Republic of Turkey.
- de Miguel, Alberto & Pindado, Julio, 2001. "Determinants of capital structure: new evidence from Spanish panel data," Journal of Corporate Finance, Elsevier, vol. 7(1), pages 77-99, March.
- Woon Gyu Choi & Yungsan Kim, 2001. "Monetary Policy and Corporate Liquid Asset Demand," IMF Working Papers 01/177, International Monetary Fund.
- Su, Lixin (Nancy) & Zhao, Xuezhou (Rachel) & Zhou, Gaoguang (Stephen), 2014. "Do customers respond to the disclosure of internal control weakness?," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 67(7), pages 1508-1518.
- Guney, Yilmaz & Ozkan, Aydin & Ozkan, Neslihan, 2007. "International evidence on the non-linear impact of leverage on corporate cash holdings," Journal of Multinational Financial Management, Elsevier, vol. 17(1), pages 45-60, February.
- Ang, James & Smedema, Adam, 2011. "Financial flexibility: Do firms prepare for recession?," Journal of Corporate Finance, Elsevier, vol. 17(3), pages 774-787, June.
- Evaldo Guimarães Barbosa & Cristiana De Castro Moraes, 2003. "Determinants Of The Firm’S Capital Structure - The Case Of The Very Small Enterprises," Finance 0302001, EconWPA, revised 14 Feb 2003.
- D'Antoni, Jeremy M. & Mishra, Ashok K. & Chintawar, Sachin, 2009. "Predicting Financial Stress in Young and Beginning Farmers in the United States," 2009 Annual Meeting, January 31-February 3, 2009, Atlanta, Georgia 46861, Southern Agricultural Economics Association.
- Alderson, Michael J. & Betker, Brian L., 1995. "Liquidation costs and capital structure," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 39(1), pages 45-69, September.
- Murphy, Austin, 1998. "A possible adverse effect of needing to issue new equity in the future," The Quarterly Review of Economics and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 38(4), pages 899-906.
- Manak Gupta & Alice Lee, 2006. "An Integrated Model of Debt Issuance, Refunding, and Maturity," Review of Quantitative Finance and Accounting, Springer, vol. 26(2), pages 177-199, March.
- Ozkan, Aydin & Ozkan, Neslihan, 2004. "Corporate cash holdings: An empirical investigation of UK companies," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 28(9), pages 2103-2134, September.
- Heitor Almeida & Murillo Campello & Michael S. Weisbach, 2002. "Corporate Demand for Liquidity," NBER Working Papers 9253, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Courtney Connors) The email address of this maintainer does not seem to be valid anymore. Please ask Courtney Connors to update the entry or send us the correct address.
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.