Robust Estimation of Multiple Regression Model with Non-normal Error: Symmetric Distribution
AbstractIn this paper, we develop the modified maximum likelihood (MML) estimators for the multiple regression coefficients in linear model with the underlying distribution assumed to be symmetric, one of Student's t family. We obtain the closed form of the estimators and derive their asymptotic properties. In addition, we demonstrate that the MML estimators are more appropriate to estimate the parameters in the Capital Asset Pricing Model by comparing its performance with that of least squares estimators (LSE) on the monthly returns of US portfolios. Our empirical study reveals that the MML estimators are more efficient than the LSE in terms of relative efficiency of one-step-ahead forecast mean square error for small samples.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Monash University, Department of Economics in its series Monash Economics Working Papers with number 09/05.
Length: 18 pages
Date of creation: 01 Jun 2005
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Department of Economics, Monash University, Victoria 3800, Australia
Web page: http://www.buseco.monash.edu.au/eco/
More information through EDIRC
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- C1 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric and Statistical Methods and Methodology: General
- C2 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Single Equation Models; Single Variables
- G1 - Financial Economics - - General Financial Markets
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Drost, F.C. & Nijman, T.E., 1992.
"Temporal Aggregation of Garch Processes,"
9240, Tilburg - Center for Economic Research.
- Drost, F.C. & Nijman, T.E., 1993. "Temporal aggregation of GARCH processes," Open Access publications from Tilburg University urn:nbn:nl:ui:12-153273, Tilburg University.
- Drost, F.C. & Nijman, T.E., 1992. "Temporal aggregation of GARCH processes," Discussion Paper 1992-40, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Drost, F.C. & Nijman, T.E., 1990. "Temporal aggregation of GARCH processes," Discussion Paper 1990-66, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Drost, F.C. & Nijman, T.E., 1990. "Temporal Aggregation Of Garch Processes," Papers 9066, Tilburg - Center for Economic Research.
- Eugene F. Fama, 1963. "Mandelbrot and the Stable Paretian Hypothesis," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 36, pages 420.
- Pettit, R. Richardson & Westerfield, Randolph, 1974. "Using the Capital Asset Pricing Model and the Market Model to Predict Security Returns," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 9(04), pages 579-605, September.
- Wing-keung Wong & Raymond Chan, 2004.
"On the estimation of cost of capital and its reliability,"
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 4(3), pages 365-372.
- Wing-Keung Wong & Raymond H. Chan, 2004. "On the Estimation of Cost of Capital and its Reliability," Departmental Working Papers wp0401, National University of Singapore, Department of Economics.
- Sharpe, William F., 1967. "Portfolio Analysis," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 2(02), pages 76-84, June.
- Hsiao, Cheng, 1989.
"Consistent estimation for some nonlinear errors-in-variables models,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 41(1), pages 159-185, May.
- Hsiao, C., 1988. "Consistent Estimation For Some Nonlinear Errors-In- Variables Models," Papers m8810, Southern California - Department of Economics.
- Hausman, J. A. & Abrevaya, Jason & Scott-Morton, F. M., 1998. "Misclassification of the dependent variable in a discrete-response setting," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 87(2), pages 239-269, September.
- Clements, Michael P. & Hendry, David F., 1997. "An empirical study of seasonal unit roots in forecasting," International Journal of Forecasting, Elsevier, vol. 13(3), pages 341-355, September.
- Li, Tong & Hsiao, Cheng, 2004. "Robust estimation of generalized linear models with measurement errors," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 118(1-2), pages 51-65.
- Honore, Bo E. & Hu, Luojia, 2004. "Estimation of cross sectional and panel data censored regression models with endogeneity," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 122(2), pages 293-316, October.
- Harvey, Campbell R. & Zhou, Guofu, 1993.
"International asset pricing with alternative distributional specifications,"
Journal of Empirical Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 1(1), pages 107-131, June.
- Campbell R. Harvey & Guofu Zhou, 1993. "International asset pricing with alternative distributional specifications," CEMA Working Papers 277, China Economics and Management Academy, Central University of Finance and Economics.
- Li, Tong, 2002. "Robust and consistent estimation of nonlinear errors-in-variables models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 110(1), pages 1-26, September.
- Wong, Wing-Keung & Bian, Guorui, 2005.
"Estimating parameters in autoregressive models with asymmetric innovations,"
Statistics & Probability Letters,
Elsevier, vol. 71(1), pages 61-70, January.
- Wing-Keung Wong & Guorui Bian, 2004. "Estimating Parameters in Autoregressive Models with Asymmetric Innovations," Departmental Working Papers wp0408, National University of Singapore, Department of Economics.
- Amemiya, Yasuo, 1985. "Instrumental variable estimator for the nonlinear errors-in-variables model," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 28(3), pages 273-289, June.
- Gibbons, Michael R & Ross, Stephen A & Shanken, Jay, 1989. "A Test of the Efficiency of a Given Portfolio," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 57(5), pages 1121-52, September.
- Hsiao, Cheng & Sun, Bao-Hong, 1998. "Modeling survey response bias - with an analysis of the demand for an advanced electronic device," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 89(1-2), pages 15-39, November.
- Clark, Peter K, 1973. "A Subordinated Stochastic Process Model with Finite Variance for Speculative Prices," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 41(1), pages 135-55, January.
- Blume, Marshall E, 1975. "Betas and Their Regression Tendencies," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 30(3), pages 785-95, June.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Simon Angus).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.