Multiple breaks in lending rate pass-through A cross country study for the euro area
AbstractA new approach to search for structural breaks in the retail lending rA new approach is proposed for searching multiple unknown breaks, possibly associated with EMU, in the short term business lending rate pass-through. Multiple breaks are detected in five out of nine countries of the euro area. The last break occurs much before the start of EMU for France, several months after that event for Austria, Italy and Germany. Long run pass-throughs decrease (except for France) sizably below one (except for the Netherlands); heterogeneity in the monetary transmission increases across countries. These results raise doubts on claims of a more effective monetary policy under EMU.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Universita di Modena e Reggio Emilia, Dipartimento di Economia Politica in its series Heterogeneity and monetary policy with number 0602.
Length: pages 31
Date of creation: Feb 2006
Date of revision:
Interest rates; Monetary policy; Economic and Monetary Union; Cointegration analysis; Structural breaks;
Other versions of this item:
- Gianluca Di Lorenzo & Giuseppe Marotta, 2006. "Multiple breaks in lending rate pass-through A cross country study for the euro area," Department of Economics 0524, University of Modena and Reggio E., Faculty of Economics "Marco Biagi".
- E43 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Money and Interest Rates - - - Interest Rates: Determination, Term Structure, and Effects
- E52 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Monetary Policy, Central Banking, and the Supply of Money and Credit - - - Monetary Policy
- E58 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Monetary Policy, Central Banking, and the Supply of Money and Credit - - - Central Banks and Their Policies
- F36 - International Economics - - International Finance - - - Financial Aspects of Economic Integration
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2006-03-05 (All new papers)
- NEP-EEC-2006-03-05 (European Economics)
- NEP-FMK-2006-03-05 (Financial Markets)
- NEP-IFN-2006-03-05 (International Finance)
- NEP-MAC-2006-03-05 (Macroeconomics)
- NEP-MON-2006-03-05 (Monetary Economics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Sander, Harald & Kleimeier, Stefanie, 2004.
"Convergence in euro-zone retail banking? What interest rate pass-through tells us about monetary policy transmission, competition and integration,"
Journal of International Money and Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 23(3), pages 461-492, April.
- Sander,Harald & Kleimeier,Stefanie, 2003. "Convergence in Eurozone retail banking? What interest rate pass-through tells us about monetary policy transmission, competition and integration," Research Memorandum 051, Maastricht University, Maastricht Research School of Economics of Technology and Organization (METEOR).
- Pierre Perron, 2005. "Dealing with Structural Breaks," Boston University - Department of Economics - Working Papers Series WP2005-017, Boston University - Department of Economics.
- Lieven Baele & Annalisa Ferrando & Peter Hördahl & Elizaveta Krylova & Cyril Monnet, 2004. "Measuring financial integration in the euro area," Occasional Paper Series 14, European Central Bank.
- Berlin, Mitchell & Mester, Loretta J., 1998.
"On the profitability and cost of relationship lending,"
Journal of Banking & Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 22(6-8), pages 873-897, August.
- Mitchell Berlin & Loretta J. Mester, 1997. "On the profitability and cost of relationship lending," Working Papers 97-3, Federal Reserve Bank of Philadelphia.
- Mitchell Berlin & Loretta J. Mester, 1997. "On the Profitability and Cost of Relationship Lending," Center for Financial Institutions Working Papers 97-43, Wharton School Center for Financial Institutions, University of Pennsylvania.
- Engle, Robert F & Granger, Clive W J, 1987. "Co-integration and Error Correction: Representation, Estimation, and Testing," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 55(2), pages 251-76, March.
- F. De Graeve & O. De Jonghe & R. Vander Vennet, 2004.
"Competition, transmission and bank pricing policies: Evidence from Belgian loan and deposit markets,"
Working Papers of Faculty of Economics and Business Administration, Ghent University, Belgium
04/261, Ghent University, Faculty of Economics and Business Administration.
- De Graeve, Ferre & De Jonghe, Olivier & Vennet, Rudi Vander, 2007. "Competition, transmission and bank pricing policies: Evidence from Belgian loan and deposit markets," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 31(1), pages 259-278, January.
- Jushan Bai, 1997. "Estimation Of A Change Point In Multiple Regression Models," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 79(4), pages 551-563, November.
- de Bondt, Gabe, 2002. "Retail bank interest rate pass-through: new evidence at the euro area level," Working Paper Series 0136, European Central Bank.
- Gambacorta, Leonardo, 2008.
"How do banks set interest rates?,"
European Economic Review,
Elsevier, vol. 52(5), pages 792-819, July.
- Leonardo Gambacorta, 2004. "How Do Banks Set Interest Rates?," NBER Working Papers 10295, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Leonardo Gambacorta, 2005. "How Do Banks Set Interest Rates?," Temi di discussione (Economic working papers) 542, Bank of Italy, Economic Research and International Relations Area.
- Dionysios Chionis & Costas Leon, 2005. "Modeling Interest Rate Transmission Dynamics In Greece. Is There Any Structural Break After Emu?," Macroeconomics 0509016, EconWPA.
- Hansen, Bruce E, 2002.
"Tests for Parameter Instability in Regressions with I(1) Processes,"
Journal of Business & Economic Statistics,
American Statistical Association, vol. 20(1), pages 45-59, January.
- Hansen, Bruce E, 1992. "Tests for Parameter Instability in Regressions with I(1) Processes," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 10(3), pages 321-35, July.
- Raquel Lago-González & Vicente Salas-Fumás, 2005. "Market power and bank interest rate adjustments," Banco de Espaï¿½a Working Papers 0539, Banco de Espa�a.
- de Bondt, Gabe & Mojon, Benoît & Valla, Natacha, 2005. "Term structure and the sluggishness of retail bank interest rates in euro area countries," Working Paper Series 0518, European Central Bank.
- Donald W.K. Andrews, 1990.
"Tests for Parameter Instability and Structural Change with Unknown Change Point,"
Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers
943, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Andrews, Donald W K, 1993. "Tests for Parameter Instability and Structural Change with Unknown Change Point," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 61(4), pages 821-56, July.
- Bredin, Don & Fitzpatrick, Trevor & O'Reilly, Gerard, 2001.
"Retail Interest Rate Pass-Through: The Irish Experience,"
Research Technical Papers
6/RT/01, Central Bank of Ireland.
- Don Bredin & Trevor Fitzpatrick & Gerard O Reilly, 2002. "Retail Interest Rate Pass-Through - The Irish Experience," The Economic and Social Review, Economic and Social Studies, vol. 33(2), pages 223-246.
- MacKinnon, James G, 1996.
"Numerical Distribution Functions for Unit Root and Cointegration Tests,"
Journal of Applied Econometrics,
John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 11(6), pages 601-18, Nov.-Dec..
- James G. MacKinnon, 1995. "Numerical Distribution Functions for Unit Root and Cointegration Tests," Working Papers 918, Queen's University, Department of Economics.
- Inês Cabral & Frank Dierick & Jukka Vesala, 2002. "Banking integration in the euro area," Occasional Paper Series 06, European Central Bank.
- Heinemann, Friedrich & Schüler, Martin, 2002. "Integration benefits on EU retail credit markets: evidence from interest rate pass-through," ZEW Discussion Papers 02-26, ZEW - Zentrum für Europäische Wirtschaftsforschung / Center for European Economic Research.
- Bruggeman, Annick & Donnay, Marie, 2003. "A monthly monetary model with banking intermediation for the euro area," Working Paper Series 0264, European Central Bank.
- Johann Burgstaller, 2003. "Interest Rate Transmission to Commercial Credit Rates in Austria," Economics working papers 2003-06, Department of Economics, Johannes Kepler University Linz, Austria.
- Marie Donnay & Hans Degryse, 2001. "Bank Lending Rate Pass-Through and Differences in the Transmission of a Single EMU Monetary Policy," Center for Economic Studies - Discussion papers ces0117, Katholieke Universiteit Leuven, Centrum voor Economische Studiën.
- Coffinet, J., 2005. "Politique monétaire unique et canal des taux d’intérêt en France et dans la zone euro," Bulletin de la Banque de France, Banque de France, issue 136, pages 29-40.
- Toolsema, Linda A. & Sturm, Jan-Egbert & Haan, Jakob de, 2002. "Convergence of pass-through from money market to lending rates in EMU countries: new evidence," CCSO Working Papers 200206, University of Groningen, CCSO Centre for Economic Research.
- Weth, Mark A., 2002. "The pass-through from market interest rates to bank lending rates in Germany," Discussion Paper Series 1: Economic Studies 2002,11, Deutsche Bundesbank, Research Centre.
- Leonardo Gambacorta & Simonetta Iannotti, 2005. "Are there asymmetries in the response of bank interest rates monetary shocks?," Temi di discussione (Economic working papers) 566, Bank of Italy, Economic Research and International Relations Area.
- Gianluca Di Lorenzo & Giuseppe Marotta, 2005.
"A less effective monetary transmission in the wake of EMU? Evidence from lending rates pass-through,"
Heterogeneity and monetary policy
0503, Universita di Modena e Reggio Emilia, Dipartimento di Economia Politica.
- Gianluca Di Lorenzo & Giuseppe Marotta, 2005. "A less effective monetary transmission in the wake of EMU? Evidence from lending rates pass-through," Department of Economics 0482, University of Modena and Reggio E., Faculty of Economics "Marco Biagi".
- Gabe J. de Bondt, 2005. "Interest Rate Pass-Through: Empirical Results for the Euro Area," German Economic Review, Verein für Socialpolitik, vol. 6(1), pages 37-78, 02.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Giuseppe Marotta).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.