Retail Interest Rate Pass-Through - The Irish Experience
AbstractIn this paper, we examine the extent to which changes in the money market interest rate are passed through to a number of retail lending rates between 1980 and 2001. In addition, we analyse the speed of adjustment of these lending rates with respect to such changes in the money market rate. Our main findings are - (1) pass-through from the money market rate to lending rates is not complete (2) the speed of adjustment varies quite considerably across alternative lending rates and (3) there has been significant structural change in the relationship between the money market rate and lending rates both in terms of pass-through and speed of adjustment during this period.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Economic and Social Studies in its journal Economic and Social Review.
Volume (Year): 33 (2002)
Issue (Month): 2 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.esr.ie
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Mojon, Benoît & Peersman, Gert, 2001. "A VAR description of the effects of monetary policy in the individual countries of the euro area," Working Paper Series 0092, European Central Bank.
- Haug, Alfred A., 1996.
"Tests for cointegration a Monte Carlo comparison,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 71(1-2), pages 89-115.
- Pesavento, Elena, 2004.
"Analytical evaluation of the power of tests for the absence of cointegration,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 122(2), pages 349-384, October.
- Pesavento, Elena, 2000. "Analytical Evaluation of the Power of Tests for the Absence of Cointegration," University of California at San Diego, Economics Working Paper Series qt4cq4773c, Department of Economics, UC San Diego.
- Mojon, Benoît, 2000. "Financial structure and the interest rate channel of ECB monetary policy," Working Paper Series 0040, European Central Bank.
- Neil R. Ericsson & James G. MacKinnon, 1999.
"Distributions of error correction tests for cointegration,"
International Finance Discussion Papers
655, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Neil R. Ericsson & James G. MacKinnon, 2002. "Distributions of error correction tests for cointegration," Econometrics Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 5(2), pages 285-318, 06.
- Neil R. Ericsson & James G. MacKinnon, 2000. "Distributions of Error Correction Tests for Cointegration," Econometric Society World Congress 2000 Contributed Papers 0561, Econometric Society.
- Barry Scholnick, 1999. "Interest Rate Asymmetries in Long-Term Loan and Deposit Markets," Journal of Financial Services Research, Springer, vol. 16(1), pages 5-26, September.
- Ericsson, Neil R., 1992.
"Cointegration, exogeneity, and policy analysis: An overview,"
Journal of Policy Modeling,
Elsevier, vol. 14(3), pages 251-280, June.
- Neil R. Ericsson, 1991. "Cointegration, exogeneity, and policy analysis: an overview," International Finance Discussion Papers 415, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Gerlach, Stefan & Smets, Frank, 1995.
"The Monetary Transmission Mechanism: Evidence from the G-7 Countries,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
1219, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Stefan Gerlach & Frank Smets, 1995. "The monetary transmission mechanism: Evidence from the G-7 countries," BIS Working Papers 26, Bank for International Settlements.
- Ramana Ramaswamy & Torsten SlÃ¸k, 1997. "The Real Effects of Monetary Policy in the European Union: What Are the Differences?," IMF Working Papers 97/160, International Monetary Fund.
- Carlo Cottarelli & Angeliki Kourelis, 1994. "Financial Structure, Bank Lending Rates, and the Transmission Mechanism of Monetary Policy," IMF Staff Papers, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 41(4), pages 587-623, December.
- Michael Ehrmann, 2000. "Comparing monetary policy transmission across European countries," Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv), Springer, vol. 136(1), pages 58-83, March.
- Marvin Goodfriend, 1993.
"Interest rate policy and the inflation scare problem: 1979-1992,"
Federal Reserve Bank of Richmond, issue Win, pages 1-24.
- Marvin Goodfriend, 1993. "Interest rate policy and the inflation scare problem: 1979-1992," Proceedings, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- David Neumark & Steven A. Sharpe, 1989.
"Market structure and the nature of price rigidity: evidence from the market for consumer deposits,"
Finance and Economics Discussion Series
52, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Neumark, David & Sharpe, Steven A, 1992. "Market Structure and the Nature of Price Rigidity: Evidence from the Market for Consumer Deposits," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 107(2), pages 657-80, May.
- Angeliki Kourelis & Carlo Cottarelli, 1994. "Financial Structure, Bank Lending Rates, and the Transmission Mechanism of Monetary Policy," IMF Working Papers 94/39, International Monetary Fund.
- Manna, Michele & Pill, Huw & Quiros, Gabriel, 2001. "The Eurosystem's Operational Framework in the Context of the ECB's Monetary Policy Strategy," International Finance, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 4(1), pages 65-99, Spring.
- Gonzalo, Jesus, 1994. "Five alternative methods of estimating long-run equilibrium relationships," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 60(1-2), pages 203-233.
- Óscar Reinaldo Becerra & Luis Fernando Melo Velandia., 2009.
"Transmisión de Tasas de Interés bajo el Esquema de Metas de Inflación: Evidencia para Colombia,"
Latin American Journal of Economics-formerly Cuadernos de Economía,
Instituto de Economía. Pontificia Universidad Católica de Chile., vol. 46(133), pages 107-134.
- Oscar Becerra & Luis Fernando Melo, 2008. "Transmisión de tasas de interés bajo el esquema de metas de inflación: evidencia para Colombia," BORRADORES DE ECONOMIA 004731, BANCO DE LA REPÚBLICA.
- Oscar Becerra & Luis Fernando Melo, . "Transmisión de tasas de interés bajo el esquema de metas de inflación: evidencia para Colombia," Borradores de Economia 519, Banco de la Republica de Colombia.
- Dilem Yildirim, 2012. "Interest Rate Pass-Through to Turkish Lending Rates: A Threshold Cointegration Analysis," ERC Working Papers 1207, ERC - Economic Research Center, Middle East Technical University, revised Sep 2012.
- Qayyum, Abdul & Khan, Sajawal & Khawaja, Idrees, 2005.
"Interest Rate Pass-through in Pakistan: Evidence from Transfer Function Approach,"
2056, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised 2005.
- Abdul Qayyum & Sajawal Khan & Idrees Khawaja, 2005. "Interest Rate Pass-through in Pakistan: Evidence from Transfer Function Approach," The Pakistan Development Review, Pakistan Institute of Development Economics, vol. 44(4), pages 975-1001.
- Burgstaller, Johann & Scharler, Johann, 2010.
"How do bank lending rates and the supply of loans react to shifts in loan demand in the U.K.?,"
Journal of Policy Modeling,
Elsevier, vol. 32(6), pages 778-791, November.
- Johann Burgstaller & Johann Scharler, 2009. "How Do Bank Lending Rates and the Supply of Loans React to Shifts in Loan Demand in the U.K.?," Economics working papers 2009-02, Department of Economics, Johannes Kepler University Linz, Austria.
- Jesús Crespo-Cuaresma & Balázs Égert & Thomas Reininger, 2004. "Interest Rate Pass-Through in New EU Member States: The Case of the Czech Republic, Hungary and Poland," William Davidson Institute Working Papers Series 2004-671, William Davidson Institute at the University of Michigan.
- Kok, Christoffer & Werner, Thomas, 2006. "Bank interest rate pass-through in the euro area: a cross country comparison," Working Paper Series 0580, European Central Bank.
- Gianluca Di Lorenzo & Giuseppe Marotta, 2006.
"Multiple breaks in lending rate pass-through A cross country study for the euro area,"
Heterogeneity and monetary policy
0602, Universita di Modena e Reggio Emilia, Dipartimento di Economia Politica.
- Gianluca Di Lorenzo & Giuseppe Marotta, 2006. "Multiple breaks in lending rate pass-through A cross country study for the euro area," Department of Economics 0524, University of Modena and Reggio E., Faculty of Economics "Marco Biagi".
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Frank Walsh).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.