Estimation and Simulation of Earnings in IT-SILC
AbstractThis paper describes income distribution among workers in Italy using both the cross-sectional and panel component of IT-SILC. We highlight advantages and drawbacks of different econometric approaches, comparing standard OLS estimates with those obtained from Random Effects and Poisson Maximum Likelihood and assessing whether the results are sensitive to the different specification. Finally, we present the procedure in use in simulating future earnings in CAPP_DYN, the dynamic population-based microsimulation model of the CAPP
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University of Modena and Reggio E., Faculty of Economics "Marco Biagi" in its series Department of Economics with number 0660.
Length: pages 45
Date of creation: Jul 2011
Date of revision:
Microsimulation; Earnings; Lifetime; Inequality; IT-SILC;
Other versions of this item:
- D31 - Microeconomics - - Distribution - - - Personal Income and Wealth Distribution
- J31 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Wages, Compensation, and Labor Costs - - - Wage Level and Structure; Wage Differentials
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Marina Murat & Barbara Pistoresi, 2006.
"Emigrants and immigrants networks in FDI,"
Department of Economics
0546, University of Modena and Reggio E., Faculty of Economics "Marco Biagi".
- Lillard, Lee A & Willis, Robert J, 1978.
"Dynamic Aspects of Earning Mobility,"
Econometric Society, vol. 46(5), pages 985-1012, September.
- Carl Emmerson & Howard Reed & Andrew Shephard, 2004. "An assessment of PenSim2," IFS Working Papers W04/21, Institute for Fiscal Studies.
- Andrew Weiss, 1995. "Human Capital vs. Signalling Explanations of Wages," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 9(4), pages 133-154, Fall.
- J. M. C. Santos Silva & Silvana Tenreyro, 2006.
"The Log of Gravity,"
The Review of Economics and Statistics,
MIT Press, vol. 88(4), pages 641-658, November.
- Santos Silva, Joao & Tenreyro, Silvana, 2005. "The Log of Gravity," CEPR Discussion Papers 5311, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Joao Santos Silva & Silvana Tenreyro, 2005. "The Log of Gravity," CEP Discussion Papers dp0701, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Joao Santos Silva & Silvana Tenreyro, 2005. "The log of gravity," LSE Research Online Documents on Economics 3744, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Graziella Bertocchi, 2011.
"Growth, Colonization, and Institutional Development. In and Out of Africa,"
Center for Economic Research (RECent)
064, University of Modena and Reggio E., Dept. of Economics.
- Bertocchi, Graziella, 2011. "Growth, Colonization, and Institutional Development: In and Out of Africa," IZA Discussion Papers 5856, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Bertocchi, Graziella, 2011. "Growth, Colonization, and Institutional Development: In and Out of Africa," CEPR Discussion Papers 8486, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Elena Giarda, 2007.
"The Worsening of Wage Expectations in Italy: a Study Based on Administrative data,"
LABORatorio R. Revelli Working Papers Series
57, LABORatorio R. Revelli, Centre for Employment Studies.
- Elena Giarda, 2008. "The worsening of wage expectations in Italy: a study based on administrative data," International Journal of Manpower, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 29(1), pages 64-87, May.
- Heckman, James J. & Lochner, Lance & Todd, Petra E., 2003.
"Fifty Years of Mincer Earnings Regressions,"
IZA Discussion Papers
775, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Borella, Margherita & Moscarola, Flavia Coda, 2010.
"Microsimulation of pension reforms: behavioural versus nonbehavioural approach,"
Journal of Pension Economics and Finance,
Cambridge University Press, vol. 9(04), pages 583-607, October.
- Margherita Borella & Flavia Coda Moscarola, 2009. "Microsimulation of Pension Reforms: Behavioural versus Nonbehavioural Approach," CeRP Working Papers 86, Center for Research on Pensions and Welfare Policies, Turin (Italy).
- Jacob A. Mincer, 1974. "Introduction to "Schooling, Experience, and Earnings"," NBER Chapters, in: Schooling, Experience, and Earnings, pages 1-4 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Baltagi, Badi H. & Li, Qi, 1991. "A transformation that will circumvent the problem of autocorrelation in an error-component model," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 48(3), pages 385-393, June.
- Xavier Ramos, 2003. "The Covariance Structure of Earnings in Great Britain, 1991-1999," Economica, London School of Economics and Political Science, vol. 70(278), pages 353-374, 05.
- Baltagi, Badi H. & Wu, Ping X., 1999. "Unequally Spaced Panel Data Regressions With Ar(1) Disturbances," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 15(06), pages 814-823, December.
- Spence, A Michael, 1973. "Job Market Signaling," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 87(3), pages 355-74, August.
- Gary S. Becker, 1994. "Human Capital: A Theoretical and Empirical Analysis with Special Reference to Education (3rd Edition)," NBER Books, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc, number beck94-1, octubre-d.
- Agar Brugiavini & Franco Peracchi, 2003. "Social Security Wealth and Retirement Decisions in Italy," LABOUR, CEIS, vol. 17(SpecialIs), pages 79-114, 08.
- Giuseppe Marotta, 1997. "Does trade credit redistribution thwart monetary policy? Evidence from Italy," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 29(12), pages 1619-1629.
- Margherita Borella, 2001. "The Error Structure of Earnings: an Analysis on Italian Longitudinal Data," CeRP Working Papers 07, Center for Research on Pensions and Welfare Policies, Turin (Italy).
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Monica Morselli).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.