The Dollar Exposure of Japanese Companies
AbstractThe bulk of Japanese exports and imports are denominated in dollars rather than Japan's local currency, the yen.The consequences of dollar invoicing depend importantly on whether Japanese companies hedge their dollar exposures. If Japanese companies are able fully to hedge their dollar exposures either by using derivative products, locating production in the United States or matching dollar revenues with dollar costs then the choice of invoicing currency will not influence the yen profits of Japanese companies. This paper estimates the degree to which Japanese companies are exposed to movements in the dollar using Japanese stock market data and an international version of the CAPM model to estimate the extent to which Japanese company returns are correlated with changes in the yen-dollar exchange rate.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Research Seminar in International Economics, University of Michigan in its series Working Papers with number 414.
Length: 28 pages
Date of creation: 1997
Date of revision:
INTERNATIONAL FINANCE ; ENTERPRISES;
Other versions of this item:
- Dominguez, Kathryn M., 1998. "The Dollar Exposure of Japanese Companies," Journal of the Japanese and International Economies, Elsevier, vol. 12(4), pages 388-405, December.
- D10 - Microeconomics - - Household Behavior - - - General
- G30 - Financial Economics - - Corporate Finance and Governance - - - General
- F31 - International Economics - - International Finance - - - Foreign Exchange
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Jorion, Philippe, 1990. "The Exchange-Rate Exposure of U.S. Multinationals," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 63(3), pages 331-45, July.
- Bartov, Eli & Bodnar, Gordon M, 1994. " Firm Valuation, Earnings Expectations, and the Exchange-Rate Exposure Effect," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 49(5), pages 1755-85, December.
- Jia He & Lilian K. Ng, 1998. "The Foreign Exchange Exposure of Japanese Multinational Corporations," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 53(2), pages 733-753, 04.
- Fukuda Shin-ichi & Cong Ji, 1994.
"On the Choice of Invoice Currency by Japanese Exporters: The PTM Approach,"
Journal of the Japanese and International Economies,
Elsevier, vol. 8(4), pages 511-529, December.
- Shin-ichi Fukuda & Ji Cong, 1994. "On the Choice of Invoice Currency by Japanese Exporters: The PTM Approach," Discussion Paper Series a289, Institute of Economic Research, Hitotsubashi University.
- Joseph E. Gagnon & Michael M. Knetter, 1992.
"Markup Adjustment and Exchange Rate Fluctuations: Evidence From Panel Data on Automobile Exports,"
NBER Working Papers
4123, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Gagnon, Joseph E. & Knetter, Michael M., 1995. "Markup adjustment and exchange rate fluctuations: evidence from panel data on automobile exports," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 14(2), pages 289-310, April.
- Nance, Deana R & Smith, Clifford W, Jr & Smithson, Charles W, 1993. " On the Determinants of Corporate Hedging," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 48(1), pages 267-84, March.
- Marston, Richard C., 1990. "Pricing to market in Japanese manufacturing," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 29(3-4), pages 217-236, November.
- Grassman, Sven, 1973. "A fundamental symmetry in international payment patterns," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 3(2), pages 105-116, May.
- Grassman, Sven, 1976. "Currency distribution and forward cover in foreign trade : Sweden revisited, 1973," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 6(2), pages 215-221, May.
- Yusuru Ozeki & George S. Tavlas, 1992. "The Internationalization of Currencies: An Appraisal of the Japanese Yen," IMF Occasional Papers 90, International Monetary Fund.
- Joscha Beckmann & Ansgar Belke & Michael Kühl, 2013. "Foreign Exchange Market Interventions and the $-¥ Exchange Rate in the Long-Run," Ruhr Economic Papers 0428, Rheinisch-Westfälisches Institut für Wirtschaftsforschung, Ruhr-Universität Bochum, Universität Dortmund, Universität Duisburg-Essen.
- Entorf, Horst & Jamin, Gösta, 2002. "Dance with the Dollar: Exchange Rate Exposure on the German Stock Market," Darmstadt Discussion Papers in Economics 18198, Darmstadt Technical University, Department of Business Administration, Economics and Law, Institute of Economics (VWL).
- Hartmann, Philipp, 1998. "The Currency Denomination of World Trade after European Monetary Union," Journal of the Japanese and International Economies, Elsevier, vol. 12(4), pages 424-454, December.
- Tian Yong Fu & Mark J. Holmes & Daniel F.S. Choi, 2011. "Volatility transmission and asymmetric linkages between the stock and foreign exchange markets: A sectoral analysis," Studies in Economics and Finance, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 28(1), pages 36-50, March.
- Friberg, Richard & Wilander, Fredrik, 2007. "Price Setting Transactions and the Role of Denominating Currency in FX Markets," Working Paper Series 201, Sveriges Riksbank (Central Bank of Sweden).
- Kathryn M.E. Dominguez & Linda L. Tesar, 2001.
"Exchange Rate Exposure,"
NBER Working Papers
8453, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Prabhath Jayasinghe & Albert K. Tsui, 2007.
"Exchange Rate Exposure of Sectoral Returns and Volatilities: Evidence from Japanese Industrial Sectors,"
SCAPE Policy Research Working Paper Series
0710, National University of Singapore, Department of Economics, SCAPE.
- Jayasinghe, Prabhath & Tsui, Albert K., 2008. "Exchange rate exposure of sectoral returns and volatilities: Evidence from Japanese industrial sectors," Japan and the World Economy, Elsevier, vol. 20(4), pages 639-660, December.
- Ananda Jayawickrama & Tilak Abeysinghe, 2007. "Exchange Rate Exposure of Sectoral Returns and Volatilities : Evidence from Japanese Industrial Sectors," Microeconomics Working Papers 21925, East Asian Bureau of Economic Research.
- Hsu, Chih-Chiang & Yau, Ruey & Wu, Jyun-Yi, 2009. "Asymmetric Exchange Rate Exposure and Industry Characteristics : Evidence from Japanese Data," Hitotsubashi Journal of Economics, Hitotsubashi University, vol. 50(1), pages 57-69, June.
- repec:dar:vpaper:18198 is not listed on IDEAS
- Ayako Saiki, 2005. "Asymmetric Effect of Currency Union for Developing Countries," Open Economies Review, Springer, vol. 16(3), pages 227-247, July.
- Bartram, Söhnke M. & Bodnar, Gordon, 2005. "The Exchange Rate Exposure Puzzle," MPRA Paper 6482, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- ITO Takatoshi & KOIBUCHI Satoshi & SATO Kiyotaka & SHIMIZU Junko, 2013. "Exchange Rate Exposure and Exchange Rate Risk Management: The case of Japanese exporting firms," Discussion papers 13025, Research Institute of Economy, Trade and Industry (RIETI).
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (FSPP Webmaster).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.