On the Choice of Invoice Currency by Japanese Exporters: The PTM Approach
AbstractThis paper investigates why invoice ratios of the Japanese yen are relatively low for Japan's exports. Given "pricing-to-market"(PTM) behavior of Japanese exporters, we show that the demand conditions in the markets can explain the choice of invoice currency by Japanese exporters. In particular, our empirical evidence explains why yen-denominated invoice rations of TVs, VCRs, and automobiles are so low in exporting to the United States but are very high in exporting to the East Asian countries.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Institute of Economic Research, Hitotsubashi University in its series Discussion Paper Series with number a289.
Date of creation: Mar 1994
Date of revision:
Other versions of this item:
- Fukuda Shin-ichi & Cong Ji, 1994. "On the Choice of Invoice Currency by Japanese Exporters: The PTM Approach," Journal of the Japanese and International Economies, Elsevier, vol. 8(4), pages 511-529, December.
- F31 - International Economics - - International Finance - - - Foreign Exchange
- F36 - International Economics - - International Finance - - - Financial Aspects of Economic Integration
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Dominguez, Kathryn M., 1998.
"The Dollar Exposure of Japanese Companies,"
Journal of the Japanese and International Economies,
Elsevier, vol. 12(4), pages 388-405, December.
- ITO Takatoshi & KOIBUCHI Satoshi & SATO Kiyotaka & SHIMIZU Junko, 2013. "Choice of Invoicing Currency: New evidence from a questionnaire survey of Japanese export firms," Discussion papers 13034, Research Institute of Economy, Trade and Industry (RIETI).
- Fukuda, Shin-ichi & Kano, Takashi, 1997.
"International Price Linkage within a Region" The Case of East Asia,"
97-F-6, CIRJE, Faculty of Economics, University of Tokyo.
- Fukuda, Shin-ichi & Kano, Takashi, 1997. "International Price Linkage within a Region: The Case of East Asia," Journal of the Japanese and International Economies, Elsevier, vol. 11(4), pages 643-666, December.
- Oi, Hiroyuki & Otani, Akira & Shirota, Toyoichiro, 2004. "The Choice of Invoice Currency in International Trade: Implications for the Internationalization of the Yen," Monetary and Economic Studies, Institute for Monetary and Economic Studies, Bank of Japan, vol. 22(1), pages 27-63, March.
- ITO Takatoshi & KOIBUCHI Satoshi & SATO Kiyotaka & SHIMIZU Junko, 2010. "Determinants of Currency Invoicing in Japanese Exports: A firm-level analysis," Discussion papers 10034, Research Institute of Economy, Trade and Industry (RIETI).
- Takatoshi Ito & Satoshi Koibuchi & Kiyotaka Sato & Junko Shimizu, 2010. "Why has the yen failed to become a dominant invoicing currency in Asia? A firm-level analysis of Japanese Exporters' invoicing behavior," NBER Working Papers 16231, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Otani, Akira & Shiratsuka, Shigenori & Shirota, Toyoichiro, 2003. "The Decline in the Exchange Rate Pass-Through: Evidence from Japanese Import Prices," Monetary and Economic Studies, Institute for Monetary and Economic Studies, Bank of Japan, vol. 21(3), pages 53-81, October.
- Ayako Saiki, 2005. "Asymmetric Effect of Currency Union for Developing Countries," Open Economies Review, Springer, vol. 16(3), pages 227-247, July.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Hiromichi Miyake).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.