Weather and Migration in India: Evidence from NSS Data
AbstractWhile a wide range of factors influence rural-rural and rural-urban migration in developing countries, there is significant interest in analyzing the role of agricultural distress and growing inter-regional differences in fuelling such movement. This strand of research acquires importance in the context of climate change adaptation. In the Indian context this analysis gets further complicated due to significant presence of temporary migration. Acknowledging that both temporary and permanent migration in India could be influenced among other things by the weather and its variability, this paper analyses the same using National Sample Survey data for the year 2007-08. The results based on rural Indian migration data suggest that weather has significant role in explaining temporary migration and relatively lesser influence on permanent migration. The study further highlights that both temperature and rainfall are important determinants of temporary migration while the permanent migration is broadly influenced by temperature alone.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Madras School of Economics,Chennai,India in its series Working Papers with number 2013-079.
Length: 35 pages
Date of creation: Mar 2013
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Gandhi Mandapam Road, Govt. Data Centre Campus, Kottur, Chennai, Tamil Nadu 600 025
Fax: (91) (044) 235 4847
Web page: http://www.mse.ac.in
More information through EDIRC
Internal Migration; Temporary & Permanent Migration; Developing Countries; Weather Variability;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- O15 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economic Development - - - Economic Development: Human Resources; Human Development; Income Distribution; Migration
- Q54 - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics - - Environmental Economics - - - Climate; Natural Disasters
- R11 - Urban, Rural, Regional, Real Estate, and Transportation Economics - - General Regional Economics - - - Regional Economic Activity: Growth, Development, Environmental Issues, and Changes
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Priya Deshingkar & Shaheen Akter, 2009.
"Migration and Human Development in India,"
Human Development Research Papers (2009 to present)
HDRP-2009-13, Human Development Report Office (HDRO), United Nations Development Programme (UNDP), revised Apr 2009.
- Richard Black & Dominic Kniveton & Kerstin Schmidt-Verkerk, 2011. "Migration and climate change: towards an integrated assessment of sensitivity," Environment and Planning A, Pion Ltd, London, vol. 43(2), pages 431-450, February.
- Shuaizhang Feng & Michael Oppenheimer & Wolfram Schlenker, 2012. "Climate Change, Crop Yields, and Internal Migration in the United States," NBER Working Papers 17734, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Luca MARCHIORI & Jean-François MAYSTADT & Ingmar SCHUMACHER, 2011.
"The Impact of Weather Anomalies on Migration in sub-Saharan Africa,"
Discussion Papers (IRES - Institut de Recherches Economiques et Sociales)
2011034, Université catholique de Louvain, Institut de Recherches Economiques et Sociales (IRES).
- Marchiori, Luca & Maystadt, Jean-François & Schumacher, Ingmar, 2012. "The impact of weather anomalies on migration in sub-Saharan Africa," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 63(3), pages 355-374.
- Andrew Dillon & Valerie Mueller & Sheu Salau, 2011.
"Migratory Responses to Agricultural Risk in Northern Nigeria,"
American Journal of Agricultural Economics,
Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 93(4), pages 1048-1061.
- Dillon, Andrew & Mueller, Valerie & Salau, Sheu, 2010. "Migratory responses to agricultural risk in Northern Nigeria," IFPRI discussion papers 1007, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Ingrid Dallmann & Katrin Millock, 2013. "Climate Variability and Internal Migration: A Test on Indian Inter-State Migration," Documents de travail du Centre d'Economie de la Sorbonne 13045, Université Panthéon-Sorbonne (Paris 1), Centre d'Economie de la Sorbonne.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Geetha G).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.