Freistellung von Betriebsräten – Eine Beschäftigungsbremse?
AbstractAccording to the German Works Constitution Act, establishments above certain thresholds defined by the number of employees must release members of their works councils from work and enable them to do a full-time job as works councilors. Using a full sample of all establishments affected, we analyse whether making provision for the first full-time works councilor dampens employment growth. We also investigate whether the change of the threshold value from 300 to 200 employees that came into effect in July 2001 changed employment growth at these thresholds. Descriptive as well as econometric analyses suggest that neither the old nor the new threshold value has affected establishments’ employment growth. The same holds for the legal reform of this threshold value.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University of Lüneburg, Institute of Economics in its series Working Paper Series in Economics with number 64.
Length: 40 pages
Date of creation: Nov 2007
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://leuphana.de/institute/ivwl.html
Other versions of this item:
- Koller, Lena & Schnabel, Claus & Wagner, Joachim, 2007. "Freistellung von Betriebsräten: eine Beschäftigungsbremse?," Discussion Papers 53, Friedrich-Alexander-University Erlangen-Nuremberg, Chair of Labour and Regional Economics.
- NEP-ALL-2007-11-17 (All new papers)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Addison, John T. & Bellmann, Lutz & Schnabel, Claus & Wagner, Joachim, 2002. "The reform of the German works constitution act: a critical assessment," Discussion Papers 16, Friedrich-Alexander-University Erlangen-Nuremberg, Chair of Labour and Regional Economics.
- Addison, John T. & Schnabel, Claus & Wagner, Joachim, 2003.
"The Course of Research into the Economic Consequences of German Works Councils,"
IZA Discussion Papers
878, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- John T. Addison & Claus Schnabel & Joachim Wagner, 2004. "The Course of Research into the Economic Consequences of German Works Councils," British Journal of Industrial Relations, London School of Economics, vol. 42(2), pages 255-281, 06.
- Addison, John T. & Schnabel, Claus & Wagner, Joachim, 2003. "The course of research into the economic consequences of German works councils," Discussion Papers 22, Friedrich-Alexander-University Erlangen-Nuremberg, Chair of Labour and Regional Economics.
- Riester, Walter & Heise, Dietmar & Engelen-Kefer, Ursula & Wagner, Joachim, 2001. "Reform des Betriebsverfassungsgesetzes," Wirtschaftsdienst – Zeitschrift für Wirtschaftspolitik (1998 - 2007), ZBW – German National Library of Economics / Leibniz Information Centre for Economics, vol. 81(1), pages 7-20.
- Ai, Chunrong & Norton, Edward C., 2003. "Interaction terms in logit and probit models," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 80(1), pages 123-129, July.
- Kölling, Arnd & Schnabel, Claus & Wagner, Joachim, 2001. "Bremst das Schwerbehindertengesetz die Arbeitsplatzdynamik in Kleinbetrieben?," Discussion Papers 4, Friedrich-Alexander-University Erlangen-Nuremberg, Chair of Labour and Regional Economics.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Joachim Wagner).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.