Are New German Postal Providers Successful? Empirical Evidence Based on Unique Survey Data
AbstractIn order to investigate firm survival and the potential for competition in the German postal market, I analyzed key success determinants of market leader competitors. The analysis is based on eight 2011 case studies, in which I conducted in-depth interviews during on-site visits to various postal firms. The analysis is further supported by unique data stemming from a survey I conducted in 2010 for the German postal market. In general, I find that there are possibilities for smaller private firms to succeed and survive in the market despite the natural monopoly occurring within the postal industry. The success of these firms is often based on specialization, cooperation and combining the postal business with another business, such as publishing.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University of Lüneburg, Institute of Economics in its series Working Paper Series in Economics with number 285.
Length: 35 pages
Date of creation: Oct 2013
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://leuphana.de/institute/ivwl.html
Competition; Firm Survival; Germany; Postal Sector; Success;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- D24 - Microeconomics - - Production and Organizations - - - Production; Cost; Capital; Capital, Total Factor, and Multifactor Productivity; Capacity
- L51 - Industrial Organization - - Regulation and Industrial Policy - - - Economics of Regulation
- L97 - Industrial Organization - - Industry Studies: Transportation and Utilities - - - Utilities: General
- L22 - Industrial Organization - - Firm Objectives, Organization, and Behavior - - - Firm Organization and Market Structure
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2013-10-25 (All new papers)
- NEP-BEC-2013-10-25 (Business Economics)
- NEP-COM-2013-10-25 (Industrial Competition)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Agarwal, Rajshree & Gort, Michael, 1996. "The Evolution of Markets and Entry, Exit and Survival of Firms," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 78(3), pages 489-98, August.
- Mehdi Farsi & Massimo Filippini & Urs Trinkner, 2006. "Economies of scale, density and scope in Swiss Post’s Mail Delivery," Working Papers 0005, Swiss Economics, revised Jul 2006.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Joachim Wagner).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.