Product and process innovations in the life cycle of an industry
AbstractFilson (2001) uses industry-level data on firm numbers, price, quantity, and quality along with an equilibrium model of industry evolution to estimate the nature and effects of quality and cost improvement in the personal computer industry and four other new industries. This paper studies the person computer industry in more detail and shows that the model explains some peculiar patterns that cannot be explained by previous life-cycle models. The model's estimates are evaluated using historical studies on the evolution of the personal computer industry, and patterns that require further model development are described.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization.
Volume (Year): 49 (2002)
Issue (Month): 1 (September)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/jebo
Other versions of this item:
- Darren Filson, . "Product and Process Innovations in the Life Cycle of an Industry," Claremont Colleges Working Papers 2000-30, Claremont Colleges.
- L10 - Industrial Organization - - Market Structure, Firm Strategy, and Market Performance - - - General
- L63 - Industrial Organization - - Industry Studies: Manufacturing - - - Microelectronics; Computers; Communications Equipment
- O31 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Technological Change; Research and Development; Intellectual Property Rights - - - Innovation and Invention: Processes and Incentives
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Griliches, Zvi, 1990.
"Patent Statistics as Economic Indicators: A Survey,"
Journal of Economic Literature,
American Economic Association, vol. 28(4), pages 1661-1707, December.
- Zvi Griliches, 1998. "Patent Statistics as Economic Indicators: A Survey," NBER Chapters, in: R&D and Productivity: The Econometric Evidence, pages 287-343 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Zvi Griliches, 1991. "Patent Statistics as Economic Indicators: A Survey," NBER Working Papers 3301, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Klepper, Steven, 1996. "Entry, Exit, Growth, and Innovation over the Product Life Cycle," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 86(3), pages 562-83, June.
- Utterback, James M & Abernathy, William J, 1975. "A dynamic model of process and product innovation," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 3(6), pages 639-656, December.
- repec:fth:harver:1473 is not listed on IDEAS
- Darren Filson, 2001.
"The Nature and Effects of Technological Change over the Industry Life Cycle,"
Review of Economic Dynamics,
Elsevier for the Society for Economic Dynamics, vol. 4(2), pages 460-494, July.
- Darren Filson, . "The Nature and Effects of Technological Change Over the Industry Life Cycle," Claremont Colleges Working Papers 2000-05, Claremont Colleges.
- Richard C. Levin & Alvin K. Klevorick & Richard R. Nelson & Sidney G. Winter, 1987. "Appropriating the Returns from Industrial Research and Development," Brookings Papers on Economic Activity, Economic Studies Program, The Brookings Institution, vol. 18(3), pages 783-832.
- Jovanovic, B. & MacDonald, G., 1993.
"The Life Cycle of a Competitive Industry,"
93-34, C.V. Starr Center for Applied Economics, New York University.
- Jovanovic, B. & MacDonald, G.M., 1992. "The Life-Cycle of Competitive Industry," Papers 92-09, Rochester, Business - Financial Research and Policy Studies.
- Boyan Jovanovic & Glenn MacDonald, 1994. "The Life-Cycle of a Competitive Industry," NBER Working Papers 4441, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Gort, Michael & Klepper, Steven, 1982. "Time Paths in the Diffusion of Product Innovations," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 92(367), pages 630-53, September.
- Stavins, Joanna, 1995. "Model Entry and Exit in a Differentiated-Product Industry: The Personal Computer Market," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 77(4), pages 571-84, November.
- Alperovych, Yan & Hübner, Georges, 2011. "Explaining returns on venture capital backed companies: Evidence from Belgium," Research in International Business and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 25(3), pages 277-295, September.
- Nyström, Kristina, 2005. "Firm Maturity and Product Processes R&D in Swedish Manufacturing Firms," Working Paper Series in Economics and Institutions of Innovation 39, Royal Institute of Technology, CESIS - Centre of Excellence for Science and Innovation Studies.
- Filson, Darren & Gretz, Richard T., 2004.
"Strategic innovation and technology adoption in an evolving industry,"
Journal of Monetary Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 51(1), pages 89-121, January.
- Darren Filson & Richard T. Gretz, 2003. "Strategic Innovation and Technology Adoption in an Evolving Industry," Claremont Colleges Working Papers 2003-08, Claremont Colleges.
- Li, Jiatao & Kozhikode, Rajiv Krishnan, 2009. "Developing new innovation models: Shifts in the innovation landscapes in emerging economies and implications for global R&D management," Journal of International Management, Elsevier, vol. 15(3), pages 328-339, September.
- Koski, Heli & Kretschmer, Tobias, 2006.
"Innovation and Dominant Design in Mobile Telephone,"
1012, The Research Institute of the Finnish Economy.
- Heli Koski & Tobias Kretschmer, 2007. "Innovation and Dominant Design in Mobile Telephony," Industry and Innovation, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 14(3), pages 305-324.
- Darren Filson & Bunchon Songsamphant, .
"Horizontal Mergers and Exit in Declining Industries,"
Claremont Colleges Working Papers
2001-13, Claremont Colleges.
- Darren Filson & Bunchon Songsamphant, 2005. "Horizontal mergers and exit in declining industries," Applied Economics Letters, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 12(2), pages 129-132.
- Sonobe, Tetsushi & Hu, Dinghuan & Otsuka, Keijiro, 2004. "From inferior to superior products: an inquiry into the Wenzhou model of industrial development in China," Journal of Comparative Economics, Elsevier, vol. 32(3), pages 542-563, September.
- L. Lambertini & A. Mantovani, 2004.
"Process and Product Innovation: a Differential Game Approach to Product Life Cycle,"
529, Dipartimento Scienze Economiche, Universita' di Bologna.
- Luca Lambertini & Andrea Mantovani, 2010. "Process and product innovation: A differential game approach to product life cycle," International Journal of Economic Theory, The International Society for Economic Theory, vol. 6(2), pages 227-252.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.