Sovereign Debt Contracts and Financial Stability in Emerging Market Economies
AbstractThis thesis analyzes the influence sovereign debt contracts have on the incidence and the devolution of financial crises in emerging market economies. Chapter 2 focuses on the design of majority action clauses in bond contracts. It examines under what circumstances impeding creditor coordination might be a useful way to address debtor moral hazard concerns. In chapter 3 the pricing of sovereign bonds with various characteristics is studied. Special attention is drawn to the question of how the pricing of coordination clauses is affected by the composition of the debt. It is shown that coordination clauses are priced more favorably by the market the larger the share of coordinated debt by the respective issuer is. Chapter 4 investigates the scope for country insurance against macroeconomics shocks. Collateralizing sovereign bond contracts with financial derivatives is shown to be equivalent to indexing claims.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University of Munich, Department of Economics in its series Munich Dissertations in Economics with number 7302.
Date of creation: 24 Jan 2007
Date of revision:
Sovereign Debt; Collective Action Clauses; Financial Crises; Coordination;
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Graciela L. Kaminsky & Carmen M. Reinhart & Carlos A. Végh, 2005.
"When It Rains, It Pours: Procyclical Capital Flows and Macroeconomic Policies,"
in: NBER Macroeconomics Annual 2004, Volume 19, pages 11-82
National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Graciela L. Kaminsky & Carmen M. Reinhart & Carlos A. Vegh, 2004. "When it Rains, it Pours: Procyclical Capital Flows and Macroeconomic Policies," NBER Working Papers 10780, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Reinhart, Carmen & Kaminsky, Graciela & Vegh, Carlos, 2004. "When it rains, it pours: Procyclical capital flows and macroeconomic policies," MPRA Paper 13883, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Kletzer, K.M. & Newbery, D.M., 1991.
"Smoothing Primary Exporters' Price Risks: Bonds, Futures, Options and Insurance,"
647, Yale - Economic Growth Center.
- Kletzer, Ken & Newbery, David M & Wright, Brian D, 1992. "Smoothing Primary Exporters' Price Risks: Bonds, Futures, Options and Insurance," Oxford Economic Papers, Oxford University Press, vol. 44(4), pages 641-71, October.
- Reinhart, Carmen & Kaminsky, Graciela, 1999.
"The twin crises: The causes of banking and balance of payments problems,"
14081, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Carmen M. Reinhart & Graciela L. Kaminsky, 1999. "The Twin Crises: The Causes of Banking and Balance-of-Payments Problems," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 89(3), pages 473-500, June.
- Graciela L. Kaminsky & Carmen M. Reinhart, 1996. "The twin crises: the causes of banking and balance-of-payments problems," International Finance Discussion Papers 544, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Alexandra Frank).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.