Smoothing Primary Exporters' Price Risks: Bonds, Futures, Options and Insurance
AbstractThe costs of primary commodity price instability are reviewed and can be significant. Stabilization is problematic, given high serial correlation. Rolling over a sequence of one-year futures hedges can be quite effective and the optimal hedge is derived but encounters the problem of sovereign default risk. So does international lending and borrowing to smooth consumption. The authors derive the constrained optimal fully state-contingent contract for consumption smoothing of identically independent distributed and first order serially correlated price risks in the absence of enforceable contracts and compare this with more liquid commodity bond options and loan contracts. Copyright 1992 by Royal Economic Society.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Yale - Economic Growth Center in its series Papers with number 647.
Length: 52 pages
Date of creation: 1991
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: U.S.A.; YALE UNIVERSITY, ECONOMIC GROWTH CENTER, YALE STATION NEW-HAVEN CONNECTICUT 06520 U.S.A
Phone: (203) 432-3610
Fax: (203) 432-3898
Web page: http://www.econ.yale.edu/~egcenter/
More information through EDIRC
costs ; prices ; commodities ; consumption ; econometrics;
Other versions of this item:
- Kletzer, Ken & Newbery, David M & Wright, Brian D, 1992. "Smoothing Primary Exporters' Price Risks: Bonds, Futures, Options and Insurance," Oxford Economic Papers, Oxford University Press, vol. 44(4), pages 641-71, October.
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Bernardo Guimaraes, 2007.
"Optimal external debt and default,"
2007 Meeting Papers
104, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- Bernardo Guimaraes, 2008. "Optimal External Debt and Default," CEP Discussion Papers dp0847, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Guimarães, Bernardo, 2007. "Optimal external debt and default," CEPR Discussion Papers 6035, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Bernardo Guimaraes, 2008. "Optimal external debt and default," LSE Research Online Documents on Economics 3604, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Claessens, Stijn, 2005. "Taking stock of risk management techniques for sovereigns," Policy Research Working Paper Series 3570, The World Bank.
- Kenneth Kletzer, 2005.
"Sovereign debt, volatility, and insurance,"
Working Paper Series
2006-05, Federal Reserve Bank of San Francisco.
- Kletzer, Kenneth, 2004. "Sovereign Debt, Volatility and Insurance," Santa Cruz Center for International Economics, Working Paper Series qt71b785gd, Center for International Economics, UC Santa Cruz.
- G. Benavides & P. N. Snowden, 2006. "Futures for farmers: Hedging participation and the Mexican corn scheme," Journal of Development Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 42(4), pages 698-712.
- Ricardo Caballero & Stavros Panageas, 2005. "A Quantitative Model of Sudden Stops and External Liquidity Management," NBER Working Papers 11293, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Kletzer, Kenneth M. & Wright, Brian D., 1998.
"Sovereign Debt as Intertemporal Barter,"
Center for International and Development Economics Research, Working Paper Series
qt4qg3c42v, Center for International and Development Economics Research, Institute for Business and Economic Research, UC Berkeley.
- Kenneth M. Kletzer & Brian D. Wright, 2000. "Sovereign Debt as Intertemporal Barter," International Finance 0003004, EconWPA.
- Kenneth M. Kletzer and Brian D. Wright., 1998. "Sovereign Debt as Intertemporal Barter," Center for International and Development Economics Research (CIDER) Working Papers C98-100, University of California at Berkeley.
- Kannapiran, Chinna A., 2000. "Commodity price stabilisation: macroeconomic impacts and policy options," Agricultural Economics, Blackwell, vol. 23(1), pages 17-30, June.
- Hühnerbein, Ossip Robert, 2007. "Sovereign Debt Contracts and Financial Stability in Emerging Market Economies," Munich Dissertations in Economics 7302, University of Munich, Department of Economics.
- van der Ploeg, Frederick, 2006.
"Challenges and Opportunities for Resource Rich Economies,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
5688, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Frederick van der Ploeg, 2008. "Challenges and Opportunities for Resource Rich Economies," OxCarre Working Papers 005, Oxford Centre for the Analysis of Resource Rich Economies, University of Oxford.
- Benedict F. W. Bingham & James Daniel & Giulio Federico, 2001. "Domestic Petroleum Price Smoothing in Developing and Transition Countries," IMF Working Papers 01/75, International Monetary Fund.
- Kletzer, Kenneth, 2005. "Sovereign Debt, Volatility and Insurance," Santa Cruz Department of Economics, Working Paper Series qt7337d1nw, Department of Economics, UC Santa Cruz.
- Kletzer, Kenneth, 2004. "Sovereign Debt, Volatility and Insurance," Santa Cruz Department of Economics, Working Paper Series qt71b785gd, Department of Economics, UC Santa Cruz.
- Bernardo Guimaraes, 2011.
"Sovereign default: which shocks matter?,"
Review of Economic Dynamics,
Elsevier for the Society for Economic Dynamics, vol. 14(4), pages 553-576, October.
- Bernardo Guimaraes, 2010. "Code files for "Sovereign default: which shocks matter?"," Computer Codes 09-166, Review of Economic Dynamics.
- Yothin Jinjarak, 2004. "On the hidden links between financing costs and international trade patterns," Econometric Society 2004 Far Eastern Meetings 501, Econometric Society.
- Frederick van der Ploeg, 2011.
"Natural Resources: Curse or Blessing?,"
Journal of Economic Literature,
American Economic Association, vol. 49(2), pages 366-420, June.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Thomas Krichel).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.