The Effects of Mergers on Prices, Costs, And Capacity Utilization in the U.S. Air Transportation Industry, 1970-84
AbstractWe analyze the effect of mergers on various aspects of airline performance during the period 1970-84, using a panel data set constructed by Caves et al. Estimates derived from a simple "matched pairs" statistical model indicate that these mergers were associated with reductions in unit cost. The average annual rate of unit cost growth of carriers undergoing merger was 1.1 percentage points lower, during the five-year period centered on the merger, than that of carriers not involved in merger. Almost all of this cost reduction appears to have been passed on to consumers. Part of the cost reduction is attributable to merger-related declines in the prices of inputs, particularly labor, but about two-thirds of it is due to increased total factor productivity. One source of the productivity improvement is an increase in capacity utilization (load factor).
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Levy Economics Institute in its series Economics Working Paper Archive with number wp_32.
Date of creation: Nov 1989
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.levyinstitute.org
Other versions of this item:
- Frank R. Lichtenberg & Moshe Kim, 1989. "The Effects of Mergers on Prices, Costs, and Capacity Utilization in the U.S. Air Transportation Industry, 1970-84," NBER Working Papers 3197, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Frank R Lichtenberg & Donald Siegel, 1989.
"The Effect Of Takeovers On The Employment And Wages Of Central-Office And Other Personnel,"
89-3, Center for Economic Studies, U.S. Census Bureau.
- Frank Lichtenberg & Donald Siegel, 1991. "The Effect of Takeovers on the Employment and Wages of Central-Office and Other Personnel," NBER Working Papers 2895, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Lichtenberg, F.R. & Siegel, D., 1989. "The Effect Of Takeovers On The Employment And Wages Of Central-Office And Other Personnel," Papers fb-_89-05, Columbia - Graduate School of Business.
- Frank R. Lichtenberg & Donald Siegel, 1987. "Productivity and Changes in Ownership of Manufactoring Plants," Brookings Papers on Economic Activity, Economic Studies Program, The Brookings Institution, vol. 18(3), pages 643-684.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Marie-Celeste Edwards).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.