A note on the links between manufacturing, goods and services exports
AbstractThe paper deals with the links between goods and services exports. First it explains the reasons why services exports are presumably connected with manufacturing exports and altogether to goods exports. The paper scruti-nises the various headings of the services account of the BOP. It points out that firms, whether manufacturing or services-producing tend to exports both goods and services. It then turns to the international division of labour and fragmentation process. Second the paper proposes statistical analyses based on time series of goods and services exports. The first one concerns annual one-digit headings for 13 developed countries. The last one pertains to quarterly data from 1994 to 2011 for 24 developed countries. Not surprisingly, the results tend to ascertain the complementa-rities of the two types of exports, with a correlation of around 60 %. This exploratory study however calls for future improvements and reconsidera-tions that could go beyond basic time series analysis.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Laboratoire de Recherche en Gestion et Economie (LaRGE), Université de Strasbourg (France) in its series Working Papers of LaRGE Research Center with number 2012-09.
Date of creation: 2012
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: 61, Avenue de la Forêt Noire, F-67085 Strasbourg Cedex
Phone: (33) 3 90 41 41 30
Fax: (33) 3 90 41 40 50
Web page: http://ifs.unistra.fr/large/
More information through EDIRC
services trade; international trade; goods & services exports.;
Other versions of this item:
- Broussolle Damien, 2012. "A Note on the Links Between Manufacturing, Goods and Services Exports," The AMFITEATRU ECONOMIC journal, Academy of Economic Studies - Bucharest, Romania, vol. 14(Special N), pages 600-620, November.
- F14 - International Economics - - Trade - - - Empirical Studies of Trade
- L8 - Industrial Organization - - Industry Studies: Services
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2012-10-06 (All new papers)
- NEP-CSE-2012-10-06 (Economics of Strategic Management)
- NEP-INT-2012-10-06 (International Trade)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Carolina Lennon, 2008.
"Trade in services: Cross-border trade vs commercial presence. Evidence of complementarity,"
PSE Working Papers
- Carolina Lennon, 2009. "Trade in Services: Cross-Border Trade vs. Commercial Presence. Evidence of Complementarity," wiiw Working Papers 59, The Vienna Institute for International Economic Studies, wiiw.
- Joseph F. Francois & Bernard Hoekman, 2009.
"Services Trade and Policy,"
Economics working papers
2009-03, Department of Economics, Johannes Kepler University Linz, Austria.
- Deardorff, Alan V., 2001.
"International provision of trade services, trade, and fragmentation,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
2548, The World Bank.
- Deardorff, Alan V, 2001. "International Provision of Trade Services, Trade, and Fragmentation," Review of International Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 9(2), pages 233-48, May.
- Deardorff, A.V., 2000. "International Provision of Trade Services, Trade, and Fragmentation," Working Papers 463, Research Seminar in International Economics, University of Michigan.
- Guillaume Gaulier & Emmanuel Milet & Daniel Mirza, 2010.
"Les firmes françaises dans le commerce de service,"
2010-28, CEPII research center.
- Gaulier, Guillaume & Milet, Emmanuel & Mirza, Daniel, 2010. "Les firmes françaises dans le commerce de services," CEPREMAP Working Papers (Docweb) 1008, CEPREMAP.
- Matthieu Crozet & Daniel Mirza & Emmanuel Millet, 2010. "The Ultra-Select Club of Service Export Firms," La Lettre du CEPII, CEPII research center, issue 302.
- Fukunari Kimura & Hyun-Hoon Lee, 2006. "The Gravity Equation in International Trade in Services," Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv), Springer, vol. 142(1), pages 92-121, April.
- Benjamin Nefussi & Cyrille Schwellnus, 2010.
"Does FDI in manufacturing cause FDI in business services? Evidence from French firm-level data,"
Canadian Journal of Economics,
Canadian Economics Association, vol. 43(1), pages 180-203, February.
- Benjamin Nefussi & Cyrille Schwellnus, 2007. "Does FDI in Manufacturing Cause FDI in Business Services? Evidence from French Firm-Level Data," Working Papers 2007-21, CEPII research center.
- Dinu Vasile, 2008. "The logistics of merchandise," The AMFITEATRU ECONOMIC journal, Academy of Economic Studies - Bucharest, Romania, vol. 10(24), pages 5-6, June.
- Clement Yuk Pang Wong & Jinhui Wu & Anming Zhang, 2006. "A Model of Trade Liberalization in Services," Review of International Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 14(1), pages 148-168, 02.
- Damien Broussolle, 2012. "Le commerce des services, un commerce en trompe-l'œil ?. Une analyse fondée sur le point de vue de Hill," Revue économique, Presses de Sciences-Po, vol. 63(6), pages 1145-1177.
- Valentin Cojanu, 2007. "Competitiveness of trade in services: some problems of measurement," The AMFITEATRU ECONOMIC journal, Academy of Economic Studies - Bucharest, Romania, vol. 9(22), pages 147-152, June.
- Carolina Lennon, 2008.
"Trade in services and trade in goods: differences and complementarities,"
PSE Working Papers
- Carolina Lennon, 2009. "Trade in Services and Trade in Goods: Differences and Complementarities," wiiw Working Papers 53, The Vienna Institute for International Economic Studies, wiiw.
- Janet Ceglowski, 2006. "Does Gravity Matter in a Service Economy?," Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv), Springer, vol. 142(2), pages 307-329, July.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Christophe J. Godlewski).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.