Diversification in Area-Yield Crop Insurance : The Multi Linear Additive Model
AbstractDiversification is the traditional way farmers use to hedge against crop yield variations. However, most insurance policies and financial contracts do not take into account this strategy in their design. In this context, we develop a of portfolio insurance model based on area-yield crop indices. This Multi-Linear Additive Model (Multi-LAM extends previous linear approaches while it preserves their theoretical properties. We determine the conditions of use of our model and prove that it can be used despite crop yields correlations. An application to a large sample of French farms reveals the potential extent of the Multi-LAM, which significantly reduces the area-yield basis risk associated to the use of indices. We then discuss implications for crop insurance.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by LAMETA, Universtiy of Montpellier in its series Working Papers with number 09-15.
Length: 33 pages
Date of creation: Nov 2009
Date of revision: Nov 2009
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Avenue Raymond Dugrand, CS 79606, 34960 Montpellier Cedex 2
Web page: http://www.lameta.univ-montp1.fr/
More information through EDIRC
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-AGR-2009-12-11 (Agricultural Economics)
- NEP-ALL-2009-12-11 (All new papers)
- NEP-IAS-2009-12-11 (Insurance Economics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Kosowski, Robert & Timmermann, Allan & Wermers, Russ & White, Hal, 2005.
"Can mutual fund stars really pick stocks? New evidence from a bootstrap analysis,"
CFR Working Papers
05-14, University of Cologne, Centre for Financial Research (CFR).
- Robert Kosowski & Allan Timmermann & Russ Wermers & Hal White, 2006. "Can Mutual Fund "Stars" Really Pick Stocks? New Evidence from a Bootstrap Analysis," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 61(6), pages 2551-2595, December.
- Pin-Huang Chou & Guofu Zhou, 2006. "Using Bootstrap to Test Portfolio Efficiency," Annals of Economics and Finance, Society for AEF, vol. 7(2), pages 217-249, November.
- Balduzzi, Pierluigi & Robotti, Cesare, 2008.
"Mimicking Portfolios, Economic Risk Premia, and Tests of Multi-Beta Models,"
Journal of Business & Economic Statistics,
American Statistical Association, vol. 26, pages 354-368.
- Pierluigi Balduzzi & Cesare Robotti, 2005. "Mimicking portfolios, economic risk premia, and tests of multi-beta models," Working Paper 2005-04, Federal Reserve Bank of Atlanta.
- Cabrera, Victor E. & Solis, Daniel & Letson, David, 2007. "Optimal Crop-Insurance Strategies under Climate Variability: Contrasting Insurer and Farmer Interests," 2007 Annual Meeting, July 29-August 1, 2007, Portland, Oregon TN 9708, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Ruiz, Esther & Pascual, Lorenzo, 2002.
" Bootstrapping Financial Time Series,"
Journal of Economic Surveys,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 16(3), pages 271-300, July.
- Ruiz, Esther & Pascual, Lorenzo, . "Bootstraping financial time series," Open Access publications from Universidad Carlos III de Madrid info:hdl:10016/4727, Universidad Carlos III de Madrid.
- Elton, Edwin J. & Gruber, Martin J., 1997. "Modern portfolio theory, 1950 to date," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 21(11-12), pages 1743-1759, December.
- Roderick M. Rejesus & Keith H. Coble & Thomas O. Knight & Yufei Jin, 2006. "Developing Experience-Based Premium Rate Discounts in Crop Insurance," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 88(2), pages 409-419.
- Bharat Ramaswami & Terry L. Roe, 2004. "Aggregation in Area-Yield Crop Insurance: The Linear Additive Model," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 86(2), pages 420-431.
- Smith, Vincent H. & Chouinard, Hayley H. & Baquet, Alan E., 1994. "Almost Ideal Area Yield Crop Insurance Contracts," Agricultural and Resource Economics Review, Northeastern Agricultural and Resource Economics Association, vol. 23(1), April.
- Olivier Mahul, 1999. "Optimum Area Yield Crop Insurance," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 81(1), pages 75-82.
- Ross, Stephen A., 1976. "The arbitrage theory of capital asset pricing," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 13(3), pages 341-360, December.
- Edwin J. Elton & Martin J. Gruber, 1997. "Modern Portfolio Theory, 1950 to Date," New York University, Leonard N. Stern School Finance Department Working Paper Seires 97-3, New York University, Leonard N. Stern School of Business-.
- Enjolras, Geoffroy & Kast, Robert, 2007.
"Using participating and financial contracts to insure catastrophe risk: Implications for crop risk management,"
101st Seminar, July 5-6, 2007, Berlin Germany
9268, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Geoffroy Enjolras & Robert Kast, 2008. "Using participating and financial contracts to insure catastrophe risk: Implications for crop risk management," Working Papers 08-01, LAMETA, Universtiy of Montpellier, revised Jan 2008.
- Peters, S C & Freedman, D A, 1984. "Some Notes on the Bootstrap in Regression Problems," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 2(4), pages 406-09, October.
- I Mahul & D Vermersch, 2000. "Hedging crop risk with yield insurance futures and options," European Review of Agricultural Economics, Foundation for the European Review of Agricultural Economics, vol. 27(2), pages 109-126, June.
- Robert G. Chambers & John Quiggin, 2002. "Optimal Producer Behavior in the Presence of Area-Yield Crop Insurance," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 84(2), pages 320-334.
- Barry J. Barnett & Dmitry V. Vedenov, 2007. "Is There a Viable Market for Area-Based Crop Insurance?," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 89(2), pages 508-519.
- Nawalkha, Sanjay K., 1997. "A multibeta representation theorem for linear asset pricing theories," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 46(3), pages 357-381, December.
- Barnett, Barry J. & Black, J. Roy & Hu, Yingyao & Skees, Jerry R., 2005. "Is Area Yield Insurance Competitive with Farm Yield Insurance?," Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Western Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 30(02), August.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Patricia Modat).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.