Is There a Viable Market for Area-Based Crop Insurance?
AbstractThe performance of area yield insurance and farm-level multiple peril crop insurance is analyzed for cotton and soybean production in Georgia and South Carolina. The analysis improves on many previous studies by utilizing actual farm-level yield data and by comparing the two types of insurance products not only for actuarially fair premium rates but also for actual unsubsidized and subsidized premium rates. Results suggest that, even in heterogeneous production regions, area yield insurance may be a viable alternative to farm-level insurance when premium rates for farm-level insurance contain large positive wedges. Copyright 2007, Oxford University Press.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Agricultural and Applied Economics Association in its journal American Journal of Agricultural Economics.
Volume (Year): 89 (2007)
Issue (Month): 2 ()
Contact details of provider:
Postal: 555 East Wells Street, Suite 1100, Milwaukee, Wisconsin 53202
Phone: (414) 918-3190
Fax: (414) 276-3349
Web page: http://www.aaea.org/
More information through EDIRC
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Zhang, Rui (Carolyn) & Houston, Jack E. & Vedenov, Dmitry V. & Barnett, Barry J., 2008. "Impacts of government risk management policies on hedging in futures and options:LPM2 hedge model vs. EU hedge model," 2008 Conference, April 21-22, 2008, St. Louis, Missouri 37610, NCCC-134 Conference on Applied Commodity Price Analysis, Forecasting, and Market Risk Management.
- Shen, Zhiwei & Odening, Martin, 2012.
"Coping with Systemic Risk in Index-based Crop Insurance,"
123rd Seminar, February 23-24, 2012, Dublin, Ireland
122555, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Zhiwei Shen & Martin Odening, 2013. "Coping with systemic risk in index-based crop insurance," Agricultural Economics, International Association of Agricultural Economists, vol. 44(1), pages 1-13, 01.
- Woodard, Joshua D. & Sherrick, Bruce J. & Schnitkey, Gary D., 2009. "Revenue Risk Reduction Impacts of Crop Insurance in a Multi-Crop Framework," 2009 Conference, April 20-21, 2009, St. Louis, Missouri 53043, NCCC-134 Conference on Applied Commodity Price Analysis, Forecasting, and Market Risk Management.
- Cooper, Joseph C., 2009. "Payments under the Average Crop Revenue Program: Implications for Government Costs and Producer Preferences," Agricultural and Resource Economics Review, Northeastern Agricultural and Resource Economics Association, vol. 38(1), April.
- Deng, Xiaohui & Barnett, Barry J. & Hoogenboom, Gerrit & Yu, Yingzhuo & Garcia y Garcia, Axel, 2008. "Alternative Crop Insurance Indexes," Journal of Agricultural and Applied Economics, Southern Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 40(01), April.
- Barnett, Barry J. & Barrett, Christopher B. & Skees, Jerry R., 2008. "Poverty Traps and Index-Based Risk Transfer Products," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 36(10), pages 1766-1785, October.
- Mitchell, Paul D. & Knight, Thomas O., 2007.
"Economic Analysis of Supplemental Deductible Coverage as Recommended in the USDA's 2007 Farm Bill Proposal,"
Staff Paper Series
509, University of Wisconsin, Agricultural and Applied Economics.
- Mitchell, Paul D. & Knight, Thomas O., 2008. "Economic Analysis of Supplemental Deductible Coverage as Recommended in the USDA's 2007 Farm Bill Proposal," Agricultural and Resource Economics Review, Northeastern Agricultural and Resource Economics Association, vol. 37(1), April.
- Ramirez, Octavio A. & Carpio, Carlos E. & Rejesus, Roderick M., 2009. "Can Crop Insurance Premiums be Reliably Estimated?," 2009 Annual Meeting, July 26-28, 2009, Milwaukee, Wisconsin 49465, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association.
- Vedenov, Dmitry V., 2008. "Application of Copulas to Estimation of Joint Crop Yield Distributions," 2008 Annual Meeting, July 27-29, 2008, Orlando, Florida 6264, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Geoffroy Enjolras & Robert Kast & Patrick Sentis, 2009. "Diversification in Area-Yield Crop Insurance : The Multi Linear Additive Model," Working Papers 09-15, LAMETA, Universtiy of Montpellier, revised Nov 2009.
- Robert Kast, 2011. "Managing financial risks due to natural catastrophes," Working Papers hal-00610241, HAL.
- Cooper, Joseph C. & Delbecq, Benoit A. & Davis, Christopher G., 2012. "Fiscal and Farm Level Consequences of “Shallow Loss” Commodity Support," 2012 Annual Meeting, August 12-14, 2012, Seattle, Washington 124199, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association.
- Cooper, Joseph C., 2008. "A Revenue-Based Alternative to the Counter-Cyclical Payment Program," 2008 Annual Meeting, July 27-29, 2008, Orlando, Florida 6197, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Cooper, Joseph C., 2009. "ACRE: A Revenue-Based Alternative to Price-Based Commodity Payment Programs," 2009 Annual Meeting, July 26-28, 2009, Milwaukee, Wisconsin 49180, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association.
- Wang, Yang & Barnett, Barry J. & Coble, Keith H. & Harri, Ardian, 2012. "Yield Aggregation Impacts on a “Deep Loss” Systemic Risk Protection Program," 2012 Annual Meeting, August 12-14, 2012, Seattle, Washington 124875, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association.
- Joseph Cooper & Carl Zulauf & Michael Langemeier & Gary Schnitkey, 2012. "Implications of within county yield heterogeneity for modeling crop insurance premiums," Agricultural Finance Review, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 72(1), pages 134-155, March.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Oxford University Press) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.