Developing Experience-Based Premium Rate Discounts in Crop Insurance
AbstractThis article addresses the feasibility of implementing an experience-based premium rate discount system in crop insurance. While adverse selection and moral hazard in crop insurance have been extensively studied in the past, discount systems or bonus-malus incentives have not, to our knowledge, been investigated. Our empirical analysis indicates that a crop insurance discount system could be implemented based on a measure of favorable past insurance experience. The estimated average discounts based on the rating methods developed in this study ranged from 5% to 9% (depending on the crop being considered). Copyright 2006, Oxford University Press.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Agricultural and Applied Economics Association in its journal American Journal of Agricultural Economics.
Volume (Year): 88 (2006)
Issue (Month): 2 ()
Contact details of provider:
Postal: 555 East Wells Street, Suite 1100, Milwaukee, Wisconsin 53202
Phone: (414) 918-3190
Fax: (414) 276-3349
Web page: http://www.aaea.org/
More information through EDIRC
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Payandeh Najafabadi, Amir T. & Hatami, Hamid & Omidi Najafabadi, Maryam, 2012. "A maximum-entropy approach to the linear credibility formula," Insurance: Mathematics and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 51(1), pages 216-221.
- Payandeh Najafabadi, Amir T., 2010.
"A new approach to the credibility formula,"
Insurance: Mathematics and Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 46(2), pages 334-338, April.
- Pigeon, Mathieu & Frahan, Bruno Henry de & Denuit, Michel, 2012. "Actuarial evaluation of the EU proposed farm income stabilisation tool," 123rd Seminar, February 23-24, 2012, Dublin, Ireland 122485, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Liang, Yan & Coble, Keith H., 2009. "A Cost Function Analysis of Crop Insurance Moral Hazard and Agricultural Chemical Use," 2009 Annual Meeting, July 26-28, 2009, Milwaukee, Wisconsin 49485, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association.
- Wilson, William W. & Gustafson, Cole R. & Dahl, Bruce L., 2006.
"Production Risk And Crop Insurance In Malting Barley: A Stochastic Dominance Analysis,"
Agribusiness & Applied Economics Report
23561, North Dakota State University, Department of Agribusiness and Applied Economics.
- Gustafson, Cole R. & Wilson, William W. & Dahl, Bruce L., 2006. "Production Risk And Crop Insurance In Malting Barley: A Stochastic Dominance Analysis," 2006 Annual meeting, July 23-26, Long Beach, CA 21095, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Robert Kast, 2011. "Managing financial risks due to natural catastrophes," Working Papers hal-00610241, HAL.
- Geoffroy Enjolras & Robert Kast & Patrick Sentis, 2009. "Diversification in Area-Yield Crop Insurance : The Multi Linear Additive Model," Working Papers 09-15, LAMETA, Universtiy of Montpellier, revised Nov 2009.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Oxford University Press) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.