Policy-Induced Environmental Technology Transfer
AbstractWe investigate how environmental and trade policies affect the transfer of environmental technology in a two-country model with global pollution. By comparing free trade and tariff policy without commitment, the following results are obtained. First, the existence of an environmental policy in a local country induces technology transfer from a foreign country. Second, there is a possibility that free trade is preferable to a tariff policy for both countries even though free trade lowers the environmental tax rate. Third, the quantity of the local firmfs product decreases for higher environmental damage. On the other hand, import of environmentally efficient goods from the foreign country increases.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Graduate School of Economics, Kobe University in its series Discussion Papers with number 1008.
Date of creation: Jun 2010
Date of revision:
Environmental technology transfer; Free trade; Tariff protection;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- D43 - Microeconomics - - Market Structure and Pricing - - - Oligopoly and Other Forms of Market Imperfection
- F13 - International Economics - - Trade - - - Trade Policy; International Trade Organizations
- L13 - Industrial Organization - - Market Structure, Firm Strategy, and Market Performance - - - Oligopoly and Other Imperfect Markets
- Q56 - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics - - Environmental Economics - - - Environment and Development; Environment and Trade; Sustainability; Environmental Accounts and Accounting; Environmental Equity; Population Growth
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2010-06-26 (All new papers)
- NEP-ENV-2010-06-26 (Environmental Economics)
- NEP-INT-2010-06-26 (International Trade)
- NEP-REG-2010-06-26 (Regulation)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Burguet, Roberto & Sempere, Jaume, 2003. "Trade liberalization, environmental policy, and welfare," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 46(1), pages 25-37, July.
- Rodney D. Ludema & Taizo Takeno, 2007.
"Tariffs and the adoption of clean technology under asymmetric information,"
Canadian Journal of Economics,
Canadian Economics Association, vol. 40(4), pages 1100-1117, November.
- Rodney Ludema & Taizo Takeno, 2006. "Tariffs and the Adoption of Clean Technology Under Asymmetric Information," Working Papers gueconwpa~06-06-09, Georgetown University, Department of Economics.
- Neary, J.P. & Leahy, D., 1998.
"Strategic Trade and Industrial Policy Towards Dynamic Oligopolies,"
98/14, College Dublin, Department of Political Economy-.
- Neary, J Peter & Leahy, Dermot, 2000. "Strategic Trade and Industrial Policy towards Dynamic Oligopolies," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 110(463), pages 484-508, April.
- J. Peter Neary & Dermot Leahy, 1998. "Strategic trade and industrial policy towards dynamic oligopolies," LSE Research Online Documents on Economics 20246, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Leahy, Dermot & Neary, J Peter, 1998. "Strategic Trade and Industrial Policy Towards Dynamic Oligopolies," CEPR Discussion Papers 1968, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- D Leahy & J.P. Neary, 1998. "Strategic Trade and Industrial PolicyTowards Dynamic Oligopolies," CEP Discussion Papers dp0409, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Takeshi Iida & Kenji Takeuchi, 2010.
"Environmental Technology Transfer via Free Trade,"
AccessEcon, vol. 30(2), pages 948-960.
- Regibeau Pierre M & Gallegos Alberto, 2004.
"Managed Trade, Trade Liberalisation and Local Pollution,"
The B.E. Journal of Economic Analysis & Policy,
De Gruyter, vol. 3(2), pages 1-26, November.
- Alberto Gallegos & Pierre Regibeau, 2004. "Managed Trade, Trade Liberalisation and Local Pollution," Economics Discussion Papers 580, University of Essex, Department of Economics.
- Gallegos, Alberto & Régibeau, Pierre, 2004. "Managed Trade, Trade Liberalization and Local Pollution," CEPR Discussion Papers 4491, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Ulph, Alistair & Valentini, Laura, 2001. " Is Environmental Dumping Greater When Plants Are Footloose?," Scandinavian Journal of Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 103(4), pages 673-88, December.
- Riveiro, Dolores, 2008. "Environmental policy and commercial policy: The strategic use of environmental regulation," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 25(6), pages 1183-1195, November.
- Lai, Yu-Bong & Hu, Chia-Hsien, 2008. "Trade agreements, domestic environmental regulation, and transboundary pollution," Resource and Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 30(2), pages 209-228, May.
- Puller, Steven L., 2006. "The strategic use of innovation to influence regulatory standards," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 52(3), pages 690-706, November.
- Soham Baksi & Amrita Ray chaudhuri, 2009. "On trade liberalization and transboundary pollution," Economics Bulletin, AccessEcon, vol. 29(4), pages 2605-2612.
- Walz, Uwe & Wellisch, Dietmar, 1997. "Is free trade in the interest of exporting countries when there is ecological dumping?," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 66(2), pages 275-291, November.
- repec:ebl:ecbull:v:17:y:2006:i:5:p:1-9 is not listed on IDEAS
- Mukherjee, Arijit & Pennings, Enrico, 2006. "Tariffs, licensing and market structure," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 50(7), pages 1699-1707, October.
- Klaus Conrad, 2001. "Voluntary Environmental Agreements vs. Emission Taxes in Strategic Trade Models," Environmental & Resource Economics, European Association of Environmental and Resource Economists, vol. 19(4), pages 361-381, August.
- Rauscher, Michael, 1994. "On Ecological Dumping," Oxford Economic Papers, Oxford University Press, vol. 46(0), pages 822-40, Supplemen.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Kimiaki Shirahama).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.