External Adjustments under Increasing Integration: Japanese Perspective
AbstractThis paper is to investigate how much realignment of currencies is needed for adjustments to the current account imbalances of Japan compared with those of East Asia as a whole, given the productions networks in East Asia. The analyses show that the large realignments of the Japanese yen and other East Asian currencies would be needed if the adjustments are completed with only exchange rates. We also find that the degree of the exchange rate adjustments of East Asia as a whole is smaller than that of Japan only. Moreover, we investigate why the adjustment becomes more difficult if we rely only on the exchange rates in Japan. We find that Japanese outward FDI has increased independently with the exchange rate and that a ratio of income account to current account has increased due to the FDI. The findings imply that the Japanese economy has an increasing structural part of the Japanese current account which does not respond to the exchange rate movement.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Graduate School of Economics, Kobe University in its series Discussion Papers with number 0830.
Length: 41 pages
Date of creation: Mar 2009
Date of revision:
Other versions of this item:
- Eiji Ogawa & Kentaro Iwatsubo, 2009. "External Adjustments under Increasing Integration: Japanese Perspective," Global COE Hi-Stat Discussion Paper Series gd08-050, Institute of Economic Research, Hitotsubashi University.
- NEP-ALL-2009-03-28 (All new papers)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Craig R. Parsons & Kiyotaka Sato, 2006. "Exchange Rate Pass-through and Currency Invoicing: Implications for Monetary Integration in East Asia," The World Economy, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 29(12), pages 1759-1788, December.
- Marston, Richard C., 1990. "Pricing to market in Japanese manufacturing," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 29(3-4), pages 217-236, November.
- Jose Manuel Campa & Linda S. Goldberg, 2002.
"Exchange rate pass-through into import prices: a macro or micro phenomenon?,"
149, Federal Reserve Bank of New York.
- Campa, Jose M. & Goldberg, Linda S., 2002. "Exchange rate pass-through into import prices: A macro or micro phenomenon?," IESE Research Papers D/475, IESE Business School.
- Jose Manuel Campa & Linda S. Goldberg, 2002. "Exchange Rate Pass-Through into Import Prices: A Macro or Micro Phenomenon?," NBER Working Papers 8934, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Shaghil Ahmed & John H. Rogers, 1995.
"Government budget deficits and trade deficits: are present value constraints satisfied in long-term data?,"
International Finance Discussion Papers
494, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Ahmed, Shaghil & Rogers, John H., 1995. "Government budget deficits and trade deficits Are present value constraints satisfied in long-term data?," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 36(2), pages 351-374, November.
- Ahmed, S. & Rogers, J.H., 1993. "Government Budget Deficits and Trade Deficits: Are Present Value Constraints Satisfied in Long-Term Data?," Papers 5-93-6, Pennsylvania State - Department of Economics.
- Matsubayashi, Yoichi, 2005. "Are US current account deficits unsustainable?: Testing for the private and government intertemporal budget constraints," Japan and the World Economy, Elsevier, vol. 17(2), pages 223-237, April.
- Ogawa, Eiji & Kudo, Takeshi, 2007. "Asymmetric responses of East Asian currencies to the US dollar depreciation for reducing the US current account deficits," Journal of Asian Economics, Elsevier, vol. 18(1), pages 175-194, February.
- Catherine L. Mann, 2002. "Perspectives on the U.S. Current Account Deficit and Sustainability," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 16(3), pages 131-152, Summer.
- Matsubayashi, Yoichi, 2006. "Structural and cyclical movements of the current account in Japan: An alternative measure," Japan and the World Economy, Elsevier, vol. 18(4), pages 545-567, December.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Kimiaki Shirahama).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.