Agriculture, Markets and Poverty - A Comparative Analysis of Laos and Cambodia
AbstractLaos and Cambodia have been transitioning to a market-oriented policy regime. Both are agrarian economies with agriculture contributing about one-third of the GDP. We assess prospects of achieving MDG1 and centrality of agricultural growth in achieving this goal. As these are macro relationships, richer insights into determinants of poverty are obtained by detailed analyses of recent household surveys in Laos and Cambodia. Some of these insights relate to access to markets, returns to crops, education, land size, non-farm activities, ethnic affiliation, and rural infrastructure, with unavoidable variation due to differences in the coverage of the household surveys used. Another major theme studied for Cambodia is integration of farmers - especially smallholders - into markets. The focus is on barriers between large and smallholders-for example, transaction costs. An accelerated transition to a more market-oriented policy regime may promote not just a more efficient agriculture but also a more equitable outcome.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Research Institute for Economics & Business Administration, Kobe University in its series Discussion Paper Series with number DP2012-28.
Length: 22 pages
Date of creation: Oct 2012
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: 2-1 Rokkodai, Nada, Kobe 657-8501 JAPAN
Phone: +81-(0)78 803 7036
Fax: +81-(0)78 803 7059
Web page: http://www.rieb.kobe-u.ac.jp/index-e.html
More information through EDIRC
Aagriculture; Poverty; MDG1; Smallholders; Markets; Transaction costs; Laos and Cambodia;
Other versions of this item:
- Raghav Gaiha & Md Shafiul Azam & Samuel Annim & Katsushi S. Imai, 2012. "Agriculture, Markets and Poverty – A Comparative Analysis of Laos and Cambodia," The School of Economics Discussion Paper Series 1227, Economics, The University of Manchester.
- N55 - Economic History - - Agriculture, Natural Resources, Environment and Extractive Industries - - - Asia including Middle East
- H53 - Public Economics - - National Government Expenditures and Related Policies - - - Government Expenditures and Welfare Programs
- I32 - Health, Education, and Welfare - - Welfare, Well-Being, and Poverty - - - Measurement and Analysis of Poverty
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-AGR-2012-11-11 (Agricultural Economics)
- NEP-ALL-2012-11-11 (All new papers)
- NEP-DEV-2012-11-11 (Development)
- NEP-SEA-2012-11-11 (South East Asia)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Katsushi S. Imai & Raghav Gaiha & Ganesh Thapa, 2011.
"Role of Agriculture in Achieving MDG 1 in Asia and the Pacific Region,"
Discussion Paper Series
DP2011-01, Research Institute for Economics & Business Administration, Kobe University.
- Raghav Gaiha & Katsushi S. Imai & Ganesh Thapa, 2011. "Role of Agriculture in Achieving MDG 1 in Asia and the Pacific Region," The School of Economics Discussion Paper Series 1104, Economics, The University of Manchester.
- Heltberg, R. & Tarp, F., 2002.
"Agricultural supply response and poverty in Mozambique,"
Elsevier, vol. 27(2), pages 103-124, April.
- Heltberg, Rasmus & Tarp, Finn, 2001. "Agricultural Supply Response and Poverty in Mozambique," Working Paper Series UNU-WIDER Research Paper , World Institute for Development Economic Research (UNU-WIDER).
- Timothy Besley & Robin Burgess, 2003. "Halving Global Poverty," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 17(3), pages 3-22, Summer.
- Samuel Annim & Raghav Gaiha, 2012. "Crop returns, prices, credit and poverty in Lao-PDR," Brooks World Poverty Institute Working Paper Series 17012, BWPI, The University of Manchester.
- Raghav Gaiha & Samuel Annim, 2010. "Agriculture, GDP and Prospects of MDG 1 in Lao PDR," The School of Economics Discussion Paper Series 1012, Economics, The University of Manchester.
- Md. Shafiul Azam & Katsushi S. Imai & Raghav Gaiha, 2012.
"Agricultural Supply Response and Smallholders Market Participation – the Case of Cambodia,"
Discussion Paper Series
DP2012-09, Research Institute for Economics & Business Administration, Kobe University.
- Md Shafiul Azam & Katsushi Imai & Raghav Gaiha, 2012. "Agricultural Supply Response and Smallholders Market Participation: the Case of Cambodia," The School of Economics Discussion Paper Series 1208, Economics, The University of Manchester.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Office of Promoting Research Collaboration, Research Institute for Economics & Business Administration, Kobe University).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.