Dense Communication and R&D in Knowledge-based Industrial Clusters: Comparative Study of Small & Medium-sized Firms in Korea and China
AbstractThis paper presents analyses of the effects of dense communication of industry-academia-government cooperation on enhancement and reduction of in-house R&D activities using survey data of the Seoul Digital Industrial Complex, Daedeok Valley, and Zhongguancun Science Park. Our results show that older firms, presumably with more-experienced personnel, take more advantage of R&D cooperation in large metropolitan areas, whereas in-house R&D of less-experienced younger firms is not influenced greatly by external knowledge. In a science park that is distant from the economic core region, we identified that encouragement by local organization toward R&D by less-experienced younger firms has considerable influence.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Research Institute for Economics & Business Administration, Kobe University in its series Discussion Paper Series with number 206.
Length: 36 pages
Date of creation: Oct 2007
Date of revision: Jul 2008
Contact details of provider:
Postal: 2-1 Rokkodai, Nada, Kobe 657-8501 JAPAN
Phone: +81-(0)78 803 7036
Fax: +81-(0)78 803 7059
Web page: http://www.rieb.kobe-u.ac.jp/index-e.html
More information through EDIRC
R&D cooperation; industrial cluster; Seoul Digital Industrial Complex; Daedeok Valley; Zhongguancun Science Park;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- O32 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Technological Change; Research and Development; Intellectual Property Rights - - - Management of Technological Innovation and R&D
- R11 - Urban, Rural, Regional, Real Estate, and Transportation Economics - - General Regional Economics - - - Regional Economic Activity: Growth, Development, Environmental Issues, and Changes
- O40 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economic Growth and Aggregate Productivity - - - General
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2008-07-20 (All new papers)
- NEP-CNA-2008-07-20 (China)
- NEP-INO-2008-07-20 (Innovation)
- NEP-KNM-2008-07-20 (Knowledge Management & Knowledge Economy)
- NEP-SEA-2008-07-20 (South East Asia)
- NEP-TID-2008-07-20 (Technology & Industrial Dynamics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Fritsch, Michael & Franke, Grit, 2004. "Innovation, regional knowledge spillovers and R&D cooperation," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 33(2), pages 245-255, March.
- Paul Cheshire & Edward Malecki, 2003.
"Growth, development, and innovation: A look backward and forward,"
Economics of Governance,
Springer, vol. 83(1), pages 249-267, October.
- Paul Cheshire & Edward Malecki, 2003. "Growth, development, and innovation: A look backward and forward," Papers in Regional Science, Springer, vol. 83(1), pages 249-267, October.
- Sohn, Dong-Won & Kenney, Martin, 2007. "Universities, Clusters, and Innovation Systems: The Case of Seoul, Korea," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 35(6), pages 991-1004, June.
- Bruno Cassiman & Reinhilde Veugelers, 2002. "R&D Cooperation and Spillovers: Some Empirical Evidence from Belgium," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 92(4), pages 1169-1184, September.
- Kamien, Morton I. & Zang, Israel, 2000. "Meet me halfway: research joint ventures and absorptive capacity," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 18(7), pages 995-1012, October.
- Tan, Justin, 2006. "Growth of industry clusters and innovation: Lessons from Beijing Zhongguancun Science Park," Journal of Business Venturing, Elsevier, vol. 21(6), pages 827-850, November.
- Baptista, Rui & Swann, Peter, 1998. "Do firms in clusters innovate more?," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 27(5), pages 525-540, September.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Office of Promoting Research Collaboration, Research Institute for Economics & Business Administration, Kobe University).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.