Indirect Estimation of α-Stable Garch Models
AbstractIt is a well-known fact that financial returns exhibit conditional heteroscedasticity and fat tails. While the GARCH-type models are very popular in depicting the conditional heteroscedasticity, the α-stable distribution is a natural candidate for the conditional distribution of financial returns. The α-stable distribution is a generalization of the normal distribution and is described by four parameters, two of which deal with tail-thickness and asymmetry. However, practical implementation of α-stable distribution in finance applications has been limited by its estimation difficulties. In this paper, we propose an indirect approach of estimating GARCH models with α-stable innovations by using as auxiliary models GARCH-type models with Student's t distributed innovations. We provide comprehensive empirical evidence on the performance of the method within a series of Monte Carlo simulation studies and an empirical application to financial returns.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Department of Economics, University of Konstanz in its series Working Paper Series of the Department of Economics, University of Konstanz with number 2012-31.
Length: 22 pages
Date of creation: 23 Nov 2012
Date of revision:
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2012-12-10 (All new papers)
- NEP-ECM-2012-12-10 (Econometrics)
- NEP-ETS-2012-12-10 (Econometric Time Series)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Tim Bollerslev, 1986.
"Generalized autoregressive conditional heteroskedasticity,"
EERI Research Paper Series
EERI RP 1986/01, Economics and Econometrics Research Institute (EERI), Brussels.
- Bollerslev, Tim, 1986. "Generalized autoregressive conditional heteroskedasticity," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 31(3), pages 307-327, April.
- Gourieroux, C. & Monfort, A. & Renault, E., 1992.
92.279, Toulouse - GREMAQ.
- Liu, Shi-Miin & Brorsen, B Wade, 1995. " GARCH-Stable as a Model of Futures Price Movements," Review of Quantitative Finance and Accounting, Springer, vol. 5(2), pages 155-67, June.
- Marco Lombardi & Giorgio Calzolari, 2006.
"Indirect estimation of alpha-stable stochastic volatility models,"
Econometrics Working Papers Archive
wp2006_07, Universita' degli Studi di Firenze, Dipartimento di Statistica, Informatica, Applicazioni "G. Parenti".
- Lombardi, Marco J. & Calzolari, Giorgio, 2009. "Indirect estimation of [alpha]-stable stochastic volatility models," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 53(6), pages 2298-2308, April.
- Gallant, A. Ronald & Tauchen, George, 1996.
"Which Moments to Match?,"
Cambridge University Press, vol. 12(04), pages 657-681, October.
- Rene Garcia & Eric Renault & David Veredas, 2011. "Estimation of stable distributions with indirect inference," ULB Institutional Repository 2013/136186, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Mittnik, Stefan & Paolella, Marc S. & Rachev, Svetlozar T., 2000. "Diagnosing and treating the fat tails in financial returns data," Journal of Empirical Finance, Elsevier, vol. 7(3-4), pages 389-416, November.
- Ghose, Devajyoti & Kroner, Kenneth F., 1995. "The relationship between GARCH and symmetric stable processes: Finding the source of fat tails in financial data," Journal of Empirical Finance, Elsevier, vol. 2(3), pages 225-251, September.
- Liu, Shi-Miin & Brorsen, B Wade, 1995. "Maximum Likelihood Estimation of a Garch-Stable Model," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 10(3), pages 273-85, July-Sept.
- Marco J. Lombardi & Giorgio Calzolari, 2008. "Indirect Estimation of α-Stable Distributions and Processes," Econometrics Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 11(1), pages 193-208, 03.
- de Vries, Casper G., 1991. "On the relation between GARCH and stable processes," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 48(3), pages 313-324, June.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Gundula Hadjiani).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.