The Effect of Credit Guarantees on R&D Investment of SMEs in Korea
AbstractKorean government has invested significant amount of resources through credit guarantee funds to promote SMEs survival, performance and R&D investment. This study attempts to identify determinants of provision of credit guarantees and estimate their effects on firms R&D expenditures. The relationship between duration of credit and firm's survival and performance is also investigated. Account is made for heterogeneity by various characteristics of firms when looking at credit guarantee and in-house R&D investment relationships. This study results in identification of factors that enhances efficiency of funds and their effects on firms' R&D investment behavior. It enables feedback effects on the public funds selection of firms guaranteed. A number of policy measures are proposed to promote a better balance between public and private investments to reduce the risk of business failure.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA) in its series IZA Discussion Papers with number 7851.
Length: 25 pages
Date of creation: Dec 2013
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: IZA, P.O. Box 7240, D-53072 Bonn, Germany
Phone: +49 228 3894 223
Fax: +49 228 3894 180
Web page: http://www.iza.org
Postal: IZA, Margard Ody, P.O. Box 7240, D-53072 Bonn, Germany
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- C13 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric and Statistical Methods and Methodology: General - - - Estimation: General
- D92 - Microeconomics - - Intertemporal Choice - - - Intertemporal Firm Choice, Investment, Capacity, and Financing
- G28 - Financial Economics - - Financial Institutions and Services - - - Government Policy and Regulation
- L25 - Industrial Organization - - Firm Objectives, Organization, and Behavior - - - Firm Performance
- O32 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Technological Change; Research and Development; Intellectual Property Rights - - - Management of Technological Innovation and R&D
- O38 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Technological Change; Research and Development; Intellectual Property Rights - - - Government Policy
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2014-01-24 (All new papers)
- NEP-CSE-2014-01-24 (Economics of Strategic Management)
- NEP-INO-2014-01-24 (Innovation)
- NEP-SBM-2014-01-24 (Small Business Management)
- NEP-TID-2014-01-24 (Technology & Industrial Dynamics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Inha Oh & Almas Heshmati & Chulwoo Baek & Jeong-Dong Lee, 2009.
"Comparative Analysis Of Plant Dynamics By Size: Korean Manufacturing,"
The Japanese Economic Review,
Japanese Economic Association, vol. 60(4), pages 512-538.
- Oh, Inha & Heshmati, Almas & Baek, Chulwoo & Lee, Jeong-Dong, 2006. "Comparative Analysis of Firm Dynamics by Size: Korean Manufacturing," Ratio Working Papers 94, The Ratio Institute.
- Aschauer, David Alan, 1989.
"Does public capital crowd out private capital?,"
Journal of Monetary Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 24(2), pages 171-188, September.
- Uesugi, Iichiro & Sakai, Koji & Yamashiro, Guy M., 2008.
"The Effectiveness of Public Credit Guarantees in the Japanese Loan Market,"
PIE/CIS Discussion Paper
400, Center for Intergenerational Studies, Institute of Economic Research, Hitotsubashi University.
- Uesugi, Iichiro & Sakai, Koji & Yamashiro, Guy M., 2010. "The Effectiveness of Public Credit Guarantees in the Japanese Loan Market," Journal of the Japanese and International Economies, Elsevier, vol. 24(4), pages 457-480, December.
- David Aschauer, 1988.
"Is public expenditure productive?,"
88-7, Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago.
- Hancock, Diana & Wilcox, James A., 1998. "The "credit crunch" and the availability of credit to small business," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 22(6-8), pages 983-1014, August.
- Paul A. David & Bronwyn H. Hall & Andrew A. Toole, 2000.
"Is Public R&D a Complement or Substitute for Private R&D? A Review of the Econometric Evidence,"
Development and Comp Systems
- David, Paul A. & Hall, Bronwyn H. & Toole, Andrew A., 2000. "Is public R&D a complement or substitute for private R&D? A review of the econometric evidence," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 29(4-5), pages 497-529, April.
- Paul A. David & Bronwyn H. Hall & Andrew A. Toole, 1999. "Is Public R&D a Complement or Substitute for Private R&D? A Review of the Econometric Evidence," NBER Working Papers 7373, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- David, Paul A. & Hall, Bronwyn H. & Toole, Andrew A., 1999. "Is Public R&D a Complement or Substitute for Private R&D? A Review of the Econometric Evidence," Department of Economics, Working Paper Series qt1sz6g8bv, Department of Economics, Institute for Business and Economic Research, UC Berkeley.
- Paul A. David, Bronwyn H. Hall and Andrew A. Toole., 1999. "Is Public R&D a Complement or Substitute for Private R&D? A Review of the Econometric Evidence," Economics Working Papers E99-269, University of California at Berkeley.
- Paul A. David & Bronwyn H. Hall & Andrew A. Toole, 1999. "Is Public R&D a Complement or Substitute for Private R&D? A Review of the Econometric Evidence," Working Papers 99023, Stanford University, Department of Economics.
- Paul A. David & Bronwyn H. Hall & Andrew A. Toole, 2005. "Is Public R&D a Complement or Substitute for Private R&D? A Review of the Econometric Evidence," Development and Comp Systems 0502011, EconWPA.
- Baxter, Marianne & King, Robert G, 1993.
"Fiscal Policy in General Equilibrium,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 83(3), pages 315-34, June.
- Diana Hancock and James A. Wilcox., 1998. "The "Credit Crunch" and the Availability of Credit to Small Business," Research Program in Finance Working Papers RPF-282, University of California at Berkeley.
- Stefan Arping & Gy�ngyi L�r�nth & Alan Morrison, 2009.
"Public Initiatives to Support Entrepreneurs: Credit Guarantees versus Co-Funding,"
Tinbergen Institute Discussion Papers
09-019/2, Tinbergen Institute.
- Arping, Stefan & Lóránth, Gyöngyi & Morrison, Alan D., 2010. "Public initiatives to support entrepreneurs: Credit guarantees versus co-funding," Journal of Financial Stability, Elsevier, vol. 6(1), pages 26-35, April.
- Frei, Frances X. & Harker, Patrick T., 1999. "Measuring aggregate process performance using AHP," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 116(2), pages 436-442, July.
- David Alan Aschauer, 1986.
"The equilibrium approach to fiscal policy,"
86-2, Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago.
- Laeven, Luc, 2002. "Financial constraints on investments and credit policy in Korea," Journal of Asian Economics, Elsevier, vol. 13(2), pages 251-269.
- Inha Oh & Jeong-Dong Lee & Almas Heshmati, 2008. "Total Factor Productivity in Korean Manufacturing Industries," Global Economic Review, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 37(1), pages 23-50.
- Park, Keehwan & Ahn, Chang Mo & Kim, Dohyeon & Kim, Saekwon, 2013. "An empirical study of credit spreads in an emerging market: The case of Korea," Pacific-Basin Finance Journal, Elsevier, vol. 21(1), pages 952-966.
- Ono, Arito & Uesugi, Iichiro & Yasuda, Yukihiro, 2013.
"Are lending relationships beneficial or harmful for public credit guarantees? Evidence from Japan's Emergency Credit Guarantee Program,"
Journal of Financial Stability,
Elsevier, vol. 9(2), pages 151-167.
- ONO Arito & UESUGI Iichiro & YASUDA Yukihiro, 2011. "Are Lending Relationships Beneficial or Harmful for Public Credit Guarantees? Evidence from Japan's Emergency Credit Guarantee Program," Discussion papers 11035, Research Institute of Economy, Trade and Industry (RIETI).
- Banker, Rajiv D. & Chang, Hsihui & Janakiraman, Surya N. & Konstans, Constantine, 2004. "A balanced scorecard analysis of performance metrics," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 154(2), pages 423-436, April.
- Atish R. Ghosh & Swart R. Ghosh, 1999. "East Asia in the Aftermath," IMF Working Papers 99/38, International Monetary Fund.
- Yurdakul, Mustafa & Ic, Yusuf Tansel, 2004. "AHP approach in the credit evaluation of the manufacturing firms in Turkey," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 88(3), pages 269-289, April.
- Nugent, Jeffrey B & Yhee, Seung-Jae, 2002. " Small and Medium Enterprises in Korea: Achievements, Constraints and Policy Issues," Small Business Economics, Springer, vol. 18(1-3), pages 85-119, Feb.- May.
- J. D. Howe & D. G. McFetridge, 1976. "The Determinants of R & D Expenditures," Canadian Journal of Economics, Canadian Economics Association, vol. 9(1), pages 57-71, February.
- Borensztein, Eduardo & Lee, Jong-Wha, 2002. "Financial crisis and credit crunch in Korea: evidence from firm-level data," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 49(4), pages 853-875, May.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Mark Fallak).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.