Dynamics of Disability and Work in Canada
AbstractCanadian disability policy has come a long way in the past century. However, in contrast with the evidence that disability is not permanent for most, current disability support programs still carry the old static view of permanent disability. By employing a dynamic panel data model of labour force participation, the findings of this paper suggest that labour force exposure is crucial for better return-to-work outcomes for persons with a disability. Without labour force exposure, the effect of a temporary disability is prolonged and participation efforts of the disabled community are slowed down.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA) in its series IZA Discussion Papers with number 6603.
Length: 29 pages
Date of creation: May 2012
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: IZA, P.O. Box 7240, D-53072 Bonn, Germany
Phone: +49 228 3894 223
Fax: +49 228 3894 180
Web page: http://www.iza.org
Postal: IZA, Margard Ody, P.O. Box 7240, D-53072 Bonn, Germany
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- J14 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Demographic Economics - - - Economics of the Elderly; Economics of the Handicapped; Non-Labor Market Discrimination
- J21 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Demand and Supply of Labor - - - Labor Force and Employment, Size, and Structure
- C23 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Single Equation Models; Single Variables - - - Models with Panel Data; Spatio-temporal Models
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2012-06-25 (All new papers)
- NEP-DEM-2012-06-25 (Demographic Economics)
- NEP-HEA-2012-06-25 (Health Economics)
- NEP-LAB-2012-06-25 (Labour Economics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Kapteyn, Arie & Smith, James P. & van Soest, Arthur, 2008.
"Dynamics of work disability and pain,"
Journal of Health Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 27(2), pages 496-509, March.
- Kapteyn, A. & Smith, J.P. & Soest, A.H.O. van, 2008. "Dynamics of work, disability and pain," Open Access publications from Tilburg University urn:nbn:nl:ui:12-402842, Tilburg University.
- Kapteyn, A. & Smith, J.P. & Soest, A.H.O. van, 2006. "Dynamics of Work Disability and Pain," Discussion Paper 2006-22, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Kapteyn, Arie & Smith, James P. & van Soest, Arthur, 2006. "Dynamics of Work Disability and Pain," IZA Discussion Papers 2057, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Arie Kapteyn & James P. Smith & Arthur van Soest, 2006. "Dynamics of Work Disability and Pain," Working Papers 387, RAND Corporation Publications Department.
- Wallace K. C. Mok & Bruce D. Meyer & Kerwin Kofi Charles & Alexandra C. Achen, 2008. "A Note on "The Longitudinal Structure of Earnings Losses among Work-Limited Disabled Workers"," Journal of Human Resources, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 43(3), pages 721-728.
- Umut Oguzoglu, 2012. "Is there a better measure of self-assessed disability?," Applied Economics Letters, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 19(14), pages 1335-1338, September.
- Doreen Wing Han Au & Thomas F. Crossley & Martin Schellhorn, 2005.
"The Effect of Health Changes and Long-term Health on the Work Activity of Older Canadians,"
Quantitative Studies in Economics and Population Research Reports
397, McMaster University.
- Doreen Wing Han Au & Thomas F. Crossley & Martin Schellhorn, 2005. "The effect of health changes and long-term health on the work activity of older Canadians," Health Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 14(10), pages 999-1018.
- Doreen Wing Han Au & Thomas F. Crossley & Martin Schellhorn, 2005. "The Effect of Health Changes and Long-term Health on the Work Activity of Older Canadians," Social and Economic Dimensions of an Aging Population Research Papers 134, McMaster University.
- Au, Doreen & Crossley, Thomas F. & Schellhorn, Martin, 2004. "The Effect of Health Changes and Long-Term Health on the Work Activity of Older Canadians," IZA Discussion Papers 1281, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Doreen Wing Han Au & Thomas F. Crossley & Martin Schellhorn, 2004. "The Effect of Health Changes and Long-term Health on the Work Activity of Older Canadians," Social and Economic Dimensions of an Aging Population Research Papers 119, McMaster University.
- Cai, Lixin, 2010.
"The relationship between health and labour force participation: Evidence from a panel data simultaneous equation model,"
Elsevier, vol. 17(1), pages 77-90, January.
- Lixin Cai, 2007. "The Relationship between Health and Labour Force Participation: Evidence from a Panel Data Simultaneous Equation Model," Melbourne Institute Working Paper Series wp2007n01, Melbourne Institute of Applied Economic and Social Research, The University of Melbourne.
- John Bound & Michael Schoenbaum & Timothy Waidmann, 1995. "Race and Education Differences in Disability Status and Labor Force Attachment," NBER Working Papers 5159, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Oguzoglu, Umut, 2007.
"Dynamics of Work Limitation and Work in Australia,"
IZA Discussion Papers
2867, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Brenda Gannon & Brian Nolan, 2004. "Disability and Labour Force Participation in Ireland," The Economic and Social Review, Economic and Social Studies, vol. 35(2), pages 135â155.
- Steven Stern, 1989. "Measuring the Effect of Disability on Labor Force Participation," Journal of Human Resources, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 24(3), pages 361-395.
- Maki, Dennis R, 1993. "The Economic Implications of Disability Insurance in Canada," Journal of Labor Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 11(1), pages S148-69, January.
- Jon Harkness, 1993. "Labour Force Participation by Disabled Males in Canada," Canadian Journal of Economics, Canadian Economics Association, vol. 26(4), pages 878-89, November.
- Mundlak, Yair, 1978. "On the Pooling of Time Series and Cross Section Data," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 46(1), pages 69-85, January.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Mark Fallak).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.