Production Risk and the Estimation of Ex Ante Cost Functions
AbstractCost function estimation under production uncertainty is problematic because the relevant cost is conditional on unobservable expected output. If input demand functions are also stochastic, then a nonlinear errors-in-variables model is obtained and standard estimation procedures typically fail to attain consistency. But by exploiting the full implications of the expected profit maximization hypothesis that gives rise to ex-ante cost functions, it is shown that the errors-in-variables problem can be effectively removed, and consistent estimation of the parameters of interest achieved. A Monte Carlo experiment illustrates the advantages of the proposed procedure as well as the pitfalls of other existing estimators.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Iowa State University, Department of Economics in its series Staff General Research Papers with number 1922.
Date of creation: 01 Jan 2001
Date of revision:
Publication status: Published in Journal of Econometrics 2001, vol. 100, pp. 357-380
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Iowa State University, Dept. of Economics, 260 Heady Hall, Ames, IA 50011-1070
Phone: +1 515.294.6741
Fax: +1 515.294.0221
Web page: http://www.econ.iastate.edu
More information through EDIRC
Other versions of this item:
- Moschini, GianCarlo, 2001. "Production risk and the estimation of ex-ante cost functions," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 100(2), pages 357-380, February.
- GianCarlo Moschini, 2000. "Production Risk and the Estimation of Ex Ante Cost Functions," Center for Agricultural and Rural Development (CARD) Publications 00-wp262, Center for Agricultural and Rural Development (CARD) at Iowa State University.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Diewert, W E, 1971. "An Application of the Shephard Duality Theorem: A Generalized Leontief Production Function," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 79(3), pages 481-507, May-June.
- Rulon D. Pope & Richard E. Just, 1998. "Cost Function Estimation under Risk Aversion," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 80(2), pages 296-302.
- McFadden, Daniel, 1978. "Cost, Revenue, and Profit Functions," Histoy of Economic Thought Chapters, in: Fuss, Melvyn & McFadden, Daniel (ed.), Production Economics: A Dual Approach to Theory and Applications, volume 1, chapter 1 McMaster University Archive for the History of Economic Thought.
- Hsiao, C., 1988.
"Consistent Estimation For Some Nonlinear Errors-In- Variables Models,"
m8810, Southern California - Department of Economics.
- Hsiao, Cheng, 1989. "Consistent estimation for some nonlinear errors-in-variables models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 41(1), pages 159-185, May.
- Berndt, Ernst R & Wood, David O, 1975. "Technology, Prices, and the Derived Demand for Energy," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 57(3), pages 259-68, August.
- McElroy, Marjorie B, 1987. "Additive General Error Models for Production, Cost, and Derived Demand or Share Systems," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 95(4), pages 737-57, August.
- Hausman, J. A. & Newey, W. K. & Powell, J. L., 1995. "Nonlinear errors in variables Estimation of some Engel curves," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 65(1), pages 205-233, January.
- Amemiya, Yasuo, 1985. "Instrumental variable estimator for the nonlinear errors-in-variables model," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 28(3), pages 273-289, June.
- Lau, Lawrence J., 1976. "A characterization of the normalized restricted profit function," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 12(1), pages 131-163, February.
- V. Eldon Ball & Jean-Christophe Bureau & Richard Nehring & Agapi Somwaru, 1997. "Agricultural Productivity Revisited," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 79(4), pages 1045-1063.
- Hausman, Jerry A. & Newey, Whitney K. & Ichimura, Hidehiko & Powell, James L., 1991. "Identification and estimation of polynomial errors-in-variables models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 50(3), pages 273-295, December.
- Pope, Rulon D. & Just, Richard E., 1996. "Empirical implementation of ex ante cost functions," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 72(1-2), pages 231-249.
- Robert G. Chambers & John Quiggin, 1998. "Cost Functions and Duality for Stochastic Technologies," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 80(2), pages 288-295.
- Hansen, Kristiana & Frahan, Bruno Henry de, 2011. "Evaluation of Agro-Environmental Policy through a Calibrated Simulation Farm Model," 2011 International Congress, August 30-September 2, 2011, Zurich, Switzerland 114577, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Bittencourt, Mauricio V.L., 2003. "Presence Of Stochastic Errors In The Input Demands: Are Dual And Primal Estimations Equivalent?," 2003 Annual meeting, July 27-30, Montreal, Canada 22096, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Esposti, Roberto & Pierani, Pierpaolo, 2002. "Public R&D Investment and Cost Behaviour in Italian Agriculture: 1960-1995," 2002 International Congress, August 28-31, 2002, Zaragoza, Spain 24974, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Just, David R., 2011. "Calibrating the wealth effects of decoupled payments: Does decreasing absolute risk aversion matter?," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 162(1), pages 25-34, May.
- Gouzaye, Amadou & Vitale, Jeffrey D. & Epplin, Francis M. & Adam, Brian D. & Stoecker, Arthur L., 2013. "The Value of Price Stabilization Policy for Cotton Producers in Burkina Faso," 2013 Annual Meeting, February 2-5, 2013, Orlando, Florida 142882, Southern Agricultural Economics Association.
- Cherchye, L. & Post, G.T., 2001. "Methodological Advances in Dea," Research Paper ERS-2001-53-F&A, Erasmus Research Institute of Management (ERIM), ERIM is the joint research institute of the Rotterdam School of Management, Erasmus University and the Erasmus School of Economics (ESE) at Erasmus Uni.
- Alston, Julian M. & Andersen, Matthew A. & Pardey, Philip G., 2006. "Asset Utilization and Bias in Measures of U.S. Agricultural Productivity," 2006 Annual meeting, July 23-26, Long Beach, CA 21220, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Andersen, Matthew A. & Alston, Julian M. & Pardey, Philip G., 2010.
"Capital Use Intensity and Productivity Biases,"
93143, University of Minnesota, Department of Applied Economics.
- Torres, Marcelo & Morrison Paul, Catherine J., 2006. "Driving forces for consolidation or fragmentation of the US water utility industry: A cost function approach with endogenous output," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 59(1), pages 104-120, January.
- Polome, Philippe & Harmignie, Olivier & Frahan, Bruno Henry de, 2006. "Farm-level Acreage Allocation under Risk," 2006 Annual meeting, July 23-26, Long Beach, CA 21306, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Stephanie Bridges) The email address of this maintainer does not seem to be valid anymore. Please ask Stephanie Bridges to update the entry or send us the correct address.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.