Cost Function Estimation under Risk Aversion
AbstractStandard definitions of the cost function do not admit risk. Standard (ex post) approaches to cost function estimation yield biased and inconsistent estimates when production is stochastic. Recently an (ex ante) approach to cost function estimation with stochastic production has been developed by imbedding the distance function in the cost function estimation problem. We generalize the approach to consider risk aversion in decision making. Only two empirical studies have considered stochastic production in cost function estimation. Both have required constant returns to scale. We demonstrate a methodology sufficiently general to consider nonconstant returns to scale. Copyright 1998, Oxford University Press.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Agricultural and Applied Economics Association in its journal American Journal of Agricultural Economics.
Volume (Year): 80 (1998)
Issue (Month): 2 ()
Contact details of provider:
Postal: 555 East Wells Street, Suite 1100, Milwaukee, Wisconsin 53202
Phone: (414) 918-3190
Fax: (414) 276-3349
Web page: http://www.aaea.org/
More information through EDIRC
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Cherchye, L. & Post, G.T., 2001. "Methodological Advances in Dea," ERIM Report Series Research in Management ERS-2001-53-F&A, Erasmus Research Institute of Management (ERIM), ERIM is the joint research institute of the Rotterdam School of Management, Erasmus University and the Erasmus School of Economics (ESE) at Erasmus Uni.
- Griffiths, William E. & O'Donnell, Christopher J. & Cruz, Agustina Tan, 2000.
"Imposing regularity conditions on a system of cost and factor share equations,"
Australian Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics,
Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society, vol. 44(1), March.
- Griffiths, William E. & O'Donnell, Christopher J. & Cruz, Agustina Tan, 1999. "Imposing Regularity Conditions On A System Of Cost And Factor Share Equations," Working Papers 12925, University of New England, School of Economics.
- Just, Richard E., 2003. "Risk research in agricultural economics: opportunities and challenges for the next twenty-five years," Agricultural Systems, Elsevier, vol. 75(2-3), pages 123-159.
- Emir Malikov & Diego A. Restrepo-Tobón & Subal C. Kumbhakar, 2013.
"Estimation of Banking technology under credit uncertainty,"
DOCUMENTOS DE TRABAJO CIEF
010938, UNIVERSIDAD EAFIT.
- Malikov, Emir & Restrepo-Tobon, Diego A & Kumbhakar, Subal C, 2013. "Estimation of banking technology under credit uncertainty," MPRA Paper 55991, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Moschini, GianCarlo, 2001.
"Production Risk and the Estimation of Ex Ante Cost Functions,"
Staff General Research Papers
1922, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Moschini, GianCarlo, 2001. "Production risk and the estimation of ex-ante cost functions," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 100(2), pages 357-380, February.
- GianCarlo Moschini, 2000. "Production Risk and the Estimation of Ex Ante Cost Functions," Center for Agricultural and Rural Development (CARD) Publications 00-wp262, Center for Agricultural and Rural Development (CARD) at Iowa State University.
- Lusk, Jayson L. & Featherstone, Allen M. & Marsh, Thomas L. & Abdulkadri, Abdullahi O., 2002. "Empirical properties of duality theory," Australian Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society, vol. 46(1), March.
- Just, Richard E., 2000. "Some Guiding Principles For Empirical Production Research In Agriculture," Agricultural and Resource Economics Review, Northeastern Agricultural and Resource Economics Association, vol. 29(2), October.
- Just, David R., 2011. "Calibrating the wealth effects of decoupled payments: Does decreasing absolute risk aversion matter?," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 162(1), pages 25-34, May.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Oxford University Press) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.