Positive Effects of Ageing and Age-Diversity in Innovative Companies Ð Large Scale Evidence on Company Productivity
AbstractThis paper investigates how age diversity within a companyÕs workforce affects company productivity. It introduces a theoretical framework that helps to integrate results from a broad disciplinary spectrum of ageing and diversity research to derive empirically testable hypotheses on the effects of age diversity on company productivity. It argues that first the balance between costs and benefits of diversity determines the effect of age diversity on company productivity and that second the type of task performed acts as a moderator. To test these hypotheses, it uses a large-scale employer-employee panel data set (the LIAB.) Results show that increasing age diversity has a positive effect on company productivity if and only if a company engages in creative rather than routine tasks.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University of Zurich, Institute for Strategy and Business Economics (ISU) in its series Economics of Education Working Paper Series with number 0093.
Length: 33 pages
Date of creation: Aug 2013
Date of revision:
Publication status: published
Age Diversity; Company Performance; Productivity in Innovative Industries; Aging Societies;
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-AGE-2013-08-05 (Economics of Ageing)
- NEP-ALL-2013-08-05 (All new papers)
- NEP-CWA-2013-08-05 (Central & Western Asia)
- NEP-DEM-2013-08-05 (Demographic Economics)
- NEP-EFF-2013-08-05 (Efficiency & Productivity)
- NEP-HRM-2013-08-05 (Human Capital & Human Resource Management)
- NEP-INO-2013-08-05 (Innovation)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Ennen, Edgar & Richter, Ansgar, 2009. "The Whole Is More Than the Sum of Its Parts - Or Is It? A Review of the Empirical Literature on Complementarities in Organizations," MPRA Paper 15666, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Lazega, Emmanuel, 2000. "Rule enforcement among peers : A lateral control regime," Economics Papers from University Paris Dauphine 123456789/1713, Paris Dauphine University.
- Uschi Backes-Gellner & Simone N. Tuor, 2010.
"Avoiding Labor Shortages by Employer Signaling: On the Importance of Good Work Climate and Labor Relations,"
Industrial and Labor Relations Review,
ILR Review, Cornell University, ILR School, vol. 63(2), pages 271-286, January.
- Uschi Backes-Gellner & Simone Tuor, 2007. "Avoiding Labor Shortages by Employer Signaling - On the Importance of Good Work Climate and Labor Relations," Working Papers 0067, University of Zurich, Institute for Strategy and Business Economics (ISU).
- Uschi Backes-Gellner & Simone Tuor, 2007. "Avoiding Labor Shortages by Employer Signaling - On the Importance of Good Work Climate and Labor Relations," Economics of Education Working Paper Series 0010, University of Zurich, Institute for Strategy and Business Economics (ISU).
- Francesco Daveri & Mika Maliranta, 2007. "Age, seniority and labour costs: lessons from the Finnish IT revolution," Economic Policy, CEPR & CES & MSH, vol. 22, pages 117-175, 01.
- Scott E. Page, 2007.
"Prologue to The Difference: How the Power of Diversity Creates Better Groups, Firms, Schools, and Societies
[The Difference: How the Power of Diversity Creates Better Groups, Firms, Schools, and So," Introductory Chapters, Princeton University Press.
- Haltiwanger, John C. & Lane, Julia I. & Spletzer, James R., 2007.
"Wages, productivity, and the dynamic interaction of businesses and workers,"
Elsevier, vol. 14(3), pages 575-602, June.
- John Haltiwanger & Julia Lane & James Spletzer, 2000. "Wages, Productivity, and the Dynamic Interaction of Businesses and Workers," NBER Working Papers 7994, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Lazear, Edward P, 1999.
"Globalisation and the Market for Team-Mates,"
Royal Economic Society, vol. 109(454), pages C15-40, March.
- Alda, Holger & Bender, Stefan & Gartner, Hermann, 2005. "The linked employer-employee dataset of the IAB (LIAB)," IAB Discussion Paper 200506, Institut für Arbeitsmarkt- und Berufsforschung (IAB), Nürnberg [Institute for Employment Research, Nuremberg, Germany].
- Uschi Backes-Gellner & Martin R. Schneider & Stephan Veen, 2011. "Effect of Workforce Age on Quantitative and Qualitative Organizational Performance: Conceptual Framework and Case Study Evidence," Working Papers 0143, University of Zurich, Institute for Strategy and Business Economics (ISU).
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Christian Rupietta).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.