An Assessment of Telecommunications Regulation Performance in the European Union
AbstractWe assess the performance of National Regulatory Authorities across 16 EU countries regarding economic regulation in telecommunications sector, by constructing a so-called Composite Regulatory Performance Indicator for regulatory aspects such as effectiveness of the national regulatory system, effectiveness of the dispute settlement body, general market access conditions and application of remedies in markets for narrowband voice, mobile, broadband and business services. This composite indicator is the output measure used in the DEA non-parametric approach. The computation of efficiency scores allows to rank the NRAs and to detect some room for improvement in terms of efficiency gains for each national authority.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Department of Economics at the School of Economics and Management (ISEG), Technical University of Lisbon. in its series Working Papers with number 2006/07.
Date of creation: 2006
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Department of Economics, School of Economics and Management (ISEG), Technical University of Lisbon, Rua do Quelhas 6, 1200-781 LISBON, PORTUGAL
Web page: https://aquila.iseg.utl.pt/aquila/departamentos/EC
technical efficiency; DEA; telecommunications; regulated industries; National Regulatory Authorities; European Union.;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- C14 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric and Statistical Methods and Methodology: General - - - Semiparametric and Nonparametric Methods: General
- L51 - Industrial Organization - - Regulation and Industrial Policy - - - Economics of Regulation
- L96 - Industrial Organization - - Industry Studies: Transportation and Utilities - - - Telecommunications
- O52 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economywide Country Studies - - - Europe
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2006-05-20 (All new papers)
- NEP-EEC-2006-05-20 (European Economics)
- NEP-EFF-2006-05-20 (Efficiency & Productivity)
- NEP-REG-2006-05-20 (Regulation)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Giandomenico Majone, 2001. "Nonmajoritarian Institutions and the Limits of Democratic Governance: A Political Transaction-Cost Approach," Journal of Institutional and Theoretical Economics (JITE), Mohr Siebeck, Tübingen, vol. 157(1), pages 57-, March.
- Geoff Edwards & Leonard Waverman, 2006. "The Effects of Public Ownership and Regulatory Independence on Regulatory Outcomes," Journal of Regulatory Economics, Springer, vol. 29(1), pages 23-67, 01.
- Stern, J. & Cubbin, J., 2004. "Regulatory effectiveness: the impact of regulation and regulatory governance arrangements on electricity industry outcomes: a review paper," Working Papers 04/01, Department of Economics, City University London.
- Levy, Brian & Spiller, Pablo T, 1994. "The Institutional Foundations of Regulatory Commitment: A Comparative Analysis of Telecommunications Regulation," Journal of Law, Economics and Organization, Oxford University Press, vol. 10(2), pages 201-46, October.
- W. J. Henisz, 2000. "The Institutional Environment for Economic Growth," Economics and Politics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 12(1), pages 1-31, 03.
- Hayes, Kathy J & Razzolini, Laura & Ross, Leola B, 1998.
" Bureaucratic Choice and Nonoptimal Provision of Public Goods: Theory and Evidence,"
Springer, vol. 94(1-2), pages 1-20, January.
- Kathy Hayes & Laura Razzolini & Leola Ross, 1998. "Bureaucratic choice and nonoptimal provision of public goods: Theory and evidence," Public Choice, Springer, vol. 94(1), pages 1-20, January.
- Witold J. Henisz, 2002. "The institutional environment for infrastructure investment," Industrial and Corporate Change, Oxford University Press, vol. 11(2), pages 355-389.
- Oecd, 2006. "Telecommunication Regulatory Institutional Structures and Responsibilities," OECD Digital Economy Papers 105, OECD Publishing.
- Witold J. Henisz & Bennet A. Zelner, 2001. "The Institutional Environment for Telecommunications Investment," Journal of Economics & Management Strategy, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 10(1), pages 123-147, 03.
- Adler, Nicole & Golany, Boaz, 2001. "Evaluation of deregulated airline networks using data envelopment analysis combined with principal component analysis with an application to Western Europe," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 132(2), pages 260-273, July.
- Charnes, A. & Cooper, W. W. & Rhodes, E., 1978. "Measuring the efficiency of decision making units," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 2(6), pages 429-444, November.
- Spiller, Pablo T, 1996. "Institutions and Commitment," Industrial and Corporate Change, Oxford University Press, vol. 5(2), pages 421-52.
- António Afonso & Ludger Schuknecht & Vito Tanzi, 2005.
"Public sector efficiency: An international comparison,"
Springer, vol. 123(3), pages 321-347, June.
- Afonso, António & Schuknecht, Ludger & Tanzi, Vito, 2003. "Public sector efficiency: an international comparison," Working Paper Series 0242, European Central Bank.
- Abate Antonio & Clô Alberto, 2000. "La regolazione elettrica in Italia: alcune prime valutazioni," L'industria, Società editrice il Mulino, issue 4, pages 709-748.
- Giuseppe Nicoletti & Stefano Scarpetta, 2005. "Regulation and Economic Performance: Product Market Reforms and Productivity in the OECD," OECD Economics Department Working Papers 460, OECD Publishing.
- Pontarollo Enzo & Oglietti Andrea, 2000. "La performance dell'Autorità per le Garanzie nelle Comunicazioni: un primo esame," L'industria, Società editrice il Mulino, issue 4, pages 765-784.
- Camelia Burja, 2012. "Determinants Of The Agricultural Productivity Growth Among Romanian Regions," Annales Universitatis Apulensis Series Oeconomica, Faculty of Sciences, "1 Decembrie 1918" University, Alba Iulia, vol. 1(14), pages 18.
- Paolo Lupi & Fabio M. Manenti & Antonio Scialˆ & Cristiano Varin, 2009. "On the Assessment of Regulators' Efficiency. An Application to European Telecommunications," "Marco Fanno" Working Papers 0098, Dipartimento di Scienze Economiche "Marco Fanno".
- Thomas Kiessl & Hans Schedl, 2006. "The Telecommunication Markets in Selected OECD Countries: Market Characteristics and Regulatory Institutions," CESifo DICE Report, Ifo Institute for Economic Research at the University of Munich, vol. 4(3), pages 29-38, October.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Vitor Escaria).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.