Desemprego dos Jovens no Brasil: Os efeitos da Estabilização da Inflação em um Mercado de Trabalho com Escassez de Informação
AbstractFollowing the inflation stabilization with the Real Plan in 1994, the youthunemployment rate in Brazil increased substantially relative to prime-age adultworkers. We argue in this paper that the increased wage rigid due to inflationstabilization and the employers? uncertainty about young workers productivity wereimportant factors for this unemployment rate pattern. More information aboutproductivity is revealed to the employer as the worker accumulates experience in thelabor market. Therefore, low inflation rates should have restricted firms? capacity tochange real wage as more information was acquired, and adjustments when theworker productivity was revealed lower than the real wage were realized thoughtemployment reduction. Using the Brazilian National Household Sample Survey[Pesquisa Nacional por Amostra de Domicílios (PNAD)] data from 1981 to 2002,the evidences are consistent with our argument. The results show that inflation isnegatively related to unemployment rate and positively associated to employmentduration, but these relationships are more intense for young workers.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Instituto de Pesquisa Econômica Aplicada - IPEA in its series Discussion Papers with number 1116.
Length: 45 pages
Date of creation: Sep 2005
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: SBS - Quadra 01 - Bloco J - Ed. BNDES, Brasília, DF - 70076-90
Web page: http://www.ipea.gov.br
More information through EDIRC
Other versions of this item:
- Mauricio Cortez Reis & José Márcio Camargo, 2008. "Desemprego dos jovens no Brasil: os efeitos da estabilização da inflação em um mercado de trabalho com escassez de informação," Revista Brasileira de Economia, FGV/EPGE Escola Brasileira de Economia e Finanças, Getulio Vargas Foundation (Brazil), vol. 61(4), pages 493-518, July.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Gibbons, Robert & Katz, Lawrence F, 1991.
"Layoffs and Lemons,"
Journal of Labor Economics,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 9(4), pages 351-80, October.
- Gibbons, R. & Katz, L.F., 1989. "Layoffs And Lemons," Working papers 531, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Department of Economics.
- Robert Gibbons & Lawrence Katz, 1991. "Layoffs and Lemons," NBER Working Papers 2968, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Gibbons, Robert & Katz, Lawrence F., 1991. "Layoffs and Lemons," Scholarly Articles 3442782, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- Daron Acemoglu & Jorn-Steffen Pischke, 1996.
"Why Do Firms Train? Theory and Evidence,"
NBER Working Papers
5605, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Acemoglu, D. & Pischki, J.S., 1996. "Why Do Firms Train? Theory and Evidence," Working papers 96-7, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Department of Economics.
- Acemoglu, Daron & Pischke, Jörn-Steffen, 1996. "Why do Firms Train? Theory and Evidence," CEPR Discussion Papers 1460, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Topel, Robert H & Ward, Michael P, 1992.
"Job Mobility and the Careers of Young Men,"
The Quarterly Journal of Economics,
MIT Press, vol. 107(2), pages 439-79, May.
- Deaton, Angus, 1985. "Panel data from time series of cross-sections," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 30(1-2), pages 109-126.
- Farber, Henry S & Gibbons, Robert, 1996.
"Learning and Wage Dynamics,"
The Quarterly Journal of Economics,
MIT Press, vol. 111(4), pages 1007-47, November.
- Browning, Martin & Deaton, Angus & Irish, Margaret, 1985. "A Profitable Approach to Labor Supply and Commodity Demands over the Life-Cycle," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 53(3), pages 503-43, May.
- Smith, Jennifer C, 2000. "Nominal Wage Rigidity in the United Kingdom," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 110(462), pages C176-95, March.
- Enlinson Mattos & Veronica Orellano & elaine Pazello, 2009.
"A Substituição de Trabalhadores como Instrumento para Redução de Gastos com Salários: Evidências para a Indústria Paulista,"
Revista Brasileira de Economia,
FGV/EPGE Escola Brasileira de Economia e Finanças, Getulio Vargas Foundation (Brazil), vol. 63(2), pages 135-152, June.
- Orellano, Verônica Inês Fernandez & Toldo Pazello, Elaine & Mattos, Enlinson Henrique Carvalho de, 2010. "A substituição de trabalhadores como instrumento para redução de gastos com salários: evidências para a indústria paulista," Textos para discussÃ£o 267, Escola de Economia de São Paulo, Getulio Vargas Foundation (Brazil).
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Fabio Schiavinatto).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.