Virtuous interactions in removing exclusion: The link between foreign market access and access to education
AbstractWe devise a retrospective panel data approach to evaluate the effects of fair trade affiliation on the schooling decisions of a sample of Thai organic rice producers across the past 20 years. We find that the probability of school enrolment in families with more than two children is significantly affected by affiliation years. The finding is robust when dealing with endogeneity and heterogeneity issues in the estimate. The non-positive preaffiliation performance documents that our result is not affected by selection bias and that fair trade affiliation generates a significant break in the schooling decisions of affiliated households.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by ECINEQ, Society for the Study of Economic Inequality in its series Working Papers with number 122.
Length: 40 pages
Date of creation: 2009
Date of revision:
child schooling; market access; fair trade.;
Other versions of this item:
- Leonardo Becchetti & Pierluigi Conzo & Fabio Pisani, 2011. "Virtuous Interactions in Removing Exclusion: The Link between Foreign Market Access and Access to Education," Journal of Development Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 47(9), pages 1431-1454, September.
- Leonardo Becchetti & Pierluigi Conzo & Fabio Pisani, 2009. "Virtuous interactions in removing exclusion: the link between foreign market access and access to education," Econometica Working Papers wp10, Econometica.
- Becchetti, Leonardo & Conzo, Pierluigi & Pisani, Fabio, 2010. "Virtuous interactions in removing exclusion," AICCON Working Papers 63-2009, Associazione Italiana per la Cultura della Cooperazione e del Non Profit.
- O19 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economic Development - - - International Linkages to Development; Role of International Organizations
- O22 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Development Planning and Policy - - - Project Analysis
- D64 - Microeconomics - - Welfare Economics - - - Altruism; Philanthropy
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
You can help add them by filling out this form.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Maria Ana Lugo).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.