Incentive Regulation and the Role of Convexity in Benchmarking Electricity Distribution: Economists versus Engineers
AbstractThis note illustrates the potential impact of the specification of a convex production technology on establishing minimal costs compared to the use of a non-convex technology when benchmarking electricity distributors. This methodological reflection is mainly motivated by recent engineering literature providing evidence for non-convexities in electricity distribution. An empirical illustration using non-parametric specifications of technology illustrates this main point using a sample of Spanish electricity distribution firms earlier analysed in Grifell-Tatjé and Lovell (2003).
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by IESEG School of Management in its series Working Papers with number 2007-ECO-01.
Length: 16 pages
Date of creation: Oct 2007
Date of revision:
Publication status: Published in Annals of Public and Cooperative Economics, June 2008, 79(2), pp. 227-248
Convexity; incentive regulation; benchmarking; engineering;
Other versions of this item:
- Emili GRIFELL-TATJ� & Kristiaan KERSTENS, 2008. "Incentive Regulation And The Role Of Convexity In Benchmarking Electricity Distribution: Economists Versus Engineers," Annals of Public and Cooperative Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 79(2), pages 227-248, 06.
- L43 - Industrial Organization - - Antitrust Issues and Policies - - - Legal Monopolies and Regulation or Deregulation
- L94 - Industrial Organization - - Industry Studies: Transportation and Utilities - - - Electric Utilities
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Wibe, Soren A, 1984. "Engineering Production Functions: A Survey," Economica, London School of Economics and Political Science, vol. 51(204), pages 401-11, November.
- Brunekreeft, G. & Neuhoff, K. & Newbery, D., 2004.
"Electricity transmission: an overview of the current debate,"
Cambridge Working Papers in Economics
0463, Faculty of Economics, University of Cambridge.
- Brunekreeft, Gert & Neuhoff, Karsten & Newbery, David, 2005. "Electricity transmission: An overview of the current debate," Utilities Policy, Elsevier, vol. 13(2), pages 73-93, June.
- O'Neill, Richard P. & Sotkiewicz, Paul M. & Hobbs, Benjamin F. & Rothkopf, Michael H. & Stewart, William R., 2005. "Efficient market-clearing prices in markets with nonconvexities," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 164(1), pages 269-285, July.
- Smith, V Kerry, 1986. "Another View of the State of Engineering Production Functions," Economica, London School of Economics and Political Science, vol. 53(212), pages 529-32, November.
- Tone, Kaoru & Sahoo, Biresh K., 2003. "Scale, indivisibilities and production function in data envelopment analysis," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 84(2), pages 165-192, May.
- Elmaghraby, Wedad & O'Neill, Richard & Rothkopf, Michael & Stewart, William, 2004. "Pricing and Efficiency in "Lumpy" Energy Markets," The Electricity Journal, Elsevier, vol. 17(5), pages 54-64, June.
- Peter Bogetoft, 2000. "DEA and Activity Planning under Asymmetric Information," Journal of Productivity Analysis, Springer, vol. 13(1), pages 7-48, January.
- Jamasb, Tooraj & Pollitt, Michael, 2003. "International benchmarking and regulation: an application to European electricity distribution utilities," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 31(15), pages 1609-1622, December.
- Jamasb, Tooraj & Nillesen, Paul & Pollitt, Michael, 2003. "Gaming the Regulator: A Survey," The Electricity Journal, Elsevier, vol. 16(10), pages 68-80, December.
- Antonio Estache & Tim Coelli & Sergio Perelman & Lourdes Trujillo, 2003.
"A Primer on Efficiency Measurement for Utilities and Transport Regulators,"
ULB Institutional Repository
2013/44106, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Tim Coelli & Antonio Estache & Sergio Perelman & Lourdes Trujillo, 2003. "A Primer on Efficiency Measurement for Utilities and Transport Regulators," World Bank Publications, The World Bank, number 15149, March.
- Makkonen, Simo & Lahdelma, Risto, 2006. "Non-convex power plant modelling in energy optimisation," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 171(3), pages 1113-1126, June.
- Subodh Kumar & R. Robert Russell, 2002. "Technological Change, Technological Catch-up, and Capital Deepening: Relative Contributions to Growth and Convergence," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 92(3), pages 527-548, June.
- Ventosa, Mariano & Baillo, Alvaro & Ramos, Andres & Rivier, Michel, 2005. "Electricity market modeling trends," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 33(7), pages 897-913, May.
- Marsden, James R & Pingry, David E, 1986. "Engineering Production Functions and the Testing of Quantitative Economic Hypotheses," Economica, London School of Economics and Political Science, vol. 53(212), pages 533-34, November.
- Jamasb, Tooraj & Nillesen, Paul & Pollitt, Michael, 2004. "Strategic behaviour under regulatory benchmarking," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 26(5), pages 825-843, September.
- Herbert E. Scarf, 1994.
"The Allocation of Resources in the Presence of Indivisibilities,"
Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers
1068, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Herbert Scarf, 1994. "The Allocation of Resources in the Presence of Indivisibilities," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 8(4), pages 111-128, Fall.
- Walter Briec & Kristiaan Kerstens & Philippe Vanden Eeckaut, 2006. "Non-convex Technologies and Cost Functions: Definitions, Duality and Nonparametric Tests of Convexity (Journal of Economics 81(2):155–192)," Journal of Economics, Springer, vol. 87(3), pages 307-308, 04.
- Mehdi Farsi & Massimo Filippini & William Greene, 2006. "Application Of Panel Data Models In Benchmarking Analysis Of The Electricity Distribution Sector ," Annals of Public and Cooperative Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 77(3), pages 271-290, 09.
- Jamasb, T. & Pollitt, M., 2000. "Benchmarking and regulation: international electricity experience," Utilities Policy, Elsevier, vol. 9(3), pages 107-130, September.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Monika Marin).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.