Import Competition and Labour Productivity
AbstractThe impact of import competition on labour productivity is examined using panel data for a sample of Australian manufacturing firms over the period 1984 to 1993. Import competition is found to interact with domestic competition; such the positive impact of import competition on the level and rate of growth of labour productivity rises with the degree of concentration among domestic producers. The results suggest that the movement towards lowering border protection on manufactured imports into Australia has led to enhanced productivity by domestic producers, especially those in highly concentrated industries.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Melbourne Institute of Applied Economic and Social Research, The University of Melbourne in its series Melbourne Institute Working Paper Series with number wp2000n09.
Length: 24 pages
Date of creation: May 2000
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Melbourne Institute of Applied Economic and Social Research, The University of Melbourne, Victoria 3010 Australia
Phone: +61 3 8344 2100
Fax: +61 3 8344 2111
Web page: http://www.melbourneinstitute.com/
More information through EDIRC
Other versions of this item:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Robert E. Hall, 1988.
"The Relation Between Price and Marginal Cost in U.S. Industry,"
NBER Working Papers
1785, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Hall, Robert E, 1988. "The Relation between Price and Marginal Cost in U.S. Industry," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 96(5), pages 921-47, October.
- Tybout, James R, 1992. "Linking Trade and Productivity: New Research Directions," World Bank Economic Review, World Bank Group, vol. 6(2), pages 189-211, May.
- Richard Harris, 1983.
"Applied General Equilibrium Analysis of Small Open Economies with Scale Economies and Imperfect Competition,"
524, Queen's University, Department of Economics.
- Harris, Richard, 1984. "Applied General Equilibrium Analysis of Small Open Economies with Scale Economies and Imperfect Competition," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 74(5), pages 1016-32, December.
- MacDonald, James M, 1994. "Does Import Competition Force Efficient Production?," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 76(4), pages 721-27, November.
- Keane, Michael P & Runkle, David E, 1992. "On the Estimation of Panel-Data Models with Serial Correlation When Instruments Are Not Strictly Exogenous," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 10(1), pages 1-9, January.
- Harry Bloch, .
"Pricing in Australian Manufacturing,"
ec6/92, Department of Economics, University of Lancaster.
- Bloch, H. & Olive, M., 1995.
"Can Simple Rules Explain Pricing Behaviour in Australian Manfacturing,"
1995-03, Tasmania - Department of Economics.
- Bloch, Harry & Olive, Michael, 1996. "Can Simple Rules Explain Pricing Behaviour in Australian Manufacturing?," Australian Economic Papers, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 35(66), pages 1-19, June.
- Gregory, R G & James, Denis W, 1973. "Do New Factories Embody Best Practice Technology?," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 83(332), pages 1133-55, December.
- Julio J. Rotemberg & Michael Woodford, 1999.
"The Cyclical Behavior of Prices and Costs,"
NBER Working Papers
6909, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Nicholas Oulton, 1996.
"Competition and the Dispersion of Labour Productivity amongst UK Companies,"
NIESR Discussion Papers
103, National Institute of Economic and Social Research.
- Oulton, Nicholas, 1998. "Competition and the Dispersion of Labour Productivity amongst UK Companies," Oxford Economic Papers, Oxford University Press, vol. 50(1), pages 23-38, January.
- James McDonald & Harry Bloch, 1999. "The Spillover Effects of Industrial Action on Firm Profitability," Review of Industrial Organization, Springer, vol. 15(2), pages 183-200, September.
- Caves, Richard E & Porter, Michael E, 1978. "Market Structure, Oligopoly, and Stability of Market Shares," Journal of Industrial Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 26(4), pages 289-313, June.
- Harrison, Ann E., 1994. "Productivity, imperfect competition and trade reform : Theory and evidence," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 36(1-2), pages 53-73, February.
- McDonald, James Ted, 1999. "The Determinants of Firm Profitability in Australian Manufacturing," The Economic Record, The Economic Society of Australia, vol. 75(229), pages 115-26, June.
- Richard E. Caves, 1992. "Industrial Efficiency in Six Nations," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 0262031930, June.
- Valadkhani, Abbas, 2005. "Which Industries Create More Employment? A Cross-Country Analysis," Economics Working Papers wp05-07, School of Economics, University of Wollongong, NSW, Australia.
- Alfons Palangkaraya & Jongsay Yong, 2011.
"Trade Liberalisation, Exit, and Output and Employment Adjustments of Australian Manufacturing Establishments,"
The World Economy,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 34(1), pages 1-22, 01.
- Alfons Palangkaraya & Jongsay Yong, 2007. "Trade Liberalisation, Exit, and Output and Employment Adjustments of Australian Manufacturing Establishments," DEGIT Conference Papers c012_026, DEGIT, Dynamics, Economic Growth, and International Trade.
- Alfons Palangkaraya & Jongsay Yong, 2007. "Trade Liberalisation, Exit, and Output and Employment Adjustments of Australian Manufacturing Establishments," Melbourne Institute Working Paper Series wp2007n16, Melbourne Institute of Applied Economic and Social Research, The University of Melbourne.
- Sanidas, Elias & Jayanthakumaran, Kankesu, 2006. "The Consequences of Trade Liberalisation on the Australian Passenger Motor Vehicle Industry," Economics Working Papers wp06-01, School of Economics, University of Wollongong, NSW, Australia.
- Rahmah Ismail & Aliya Rosa & Noorasiah Sulaiman, 2012. "Globalisation and Labour Productivity in the Malaysian Manufacturing Sector," Review of Economics & Finance, Better Advances Press, Canada, vol. 2, pages 76-86, May.
- Sebastiano Manzan & Howard N. Ross, 2011. "U.S. Manufacturing: Productivity, Offshoring, and Imports," Economics Bulletin, AccessEcon, vol. 31(4), pages 2875-2883.
- James Ted McDonald & Mita Bhattacharya & Harry Bloch, 2004. "Labour Productivity, Import Competition and Market Structure in Australian Manufacturing," Econometric Society 2004 Australasian Meetings 48, Econometric Society.
- Jayanthakumaran, Kankesu & Neri, Frank, 2004. "Trade Reforms and Changes in Australian Manufactured Exports," Economics Working Papers wp04-09, School of Economics, University of Wollongong, NSW, Australia.
- Priit Vahter, 2006. "Productivity in Estonian enterprises: the role of innovation and competition," Bank of Estonia Working Papers 2006-07, Bank of Estonia, revised 11 Dec 2006.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Jenny Chen).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.