Financial and Institutional Change in Russian Higher Education
AbstractAt first glance, the higher education sector may look to have embraced the challenges and pressures of moving towards a market system. However, there remain longer term issues that must be addressed if the higher education sector is to survive and ultimately prosper. This paper examines more closely the financial and legislative reforms implemented in the Russian Higher Education sector. It outlines the institutional and structural changes that have taken place in response to these changes, and the effect of the external environment on the sector. The implications for further reform and institutional change are also discussed. These issues are analysed within a framework of the New-Institutional approach to economic organisations.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Centre for Economic Reform and Transformation, Heriot Watt University in its series CERT Discussion Papers with number 9805.
Date of creation: 1998
Date of revision:
Russian higher education; institutes of higher education; institutional; governance.;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- I20 - Health, Education, and Welfare - - Education - - - General
- P21 - Economic Systems - - Socialist Systems and Transition Economies - - - Planning, Coordination, and Reform
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-1998-11-30 (All new papers)
- NEP-FMK-1998-11-30 (Financial Markets)
- NEP-PUB-1998-11-30 (Public Finance)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Cave, Martin & Dodsworth, Ruth & Thompson, David, 1992. "Regulatory Reform in Higher Education in the UK: Incentives for Efficiency and Product Quality," Oxford Review of Economic Policy, Oxford University Press, vol. 8(2), pages 79-102, Summer.
- Kornai, Janos, 1992. "The Socialist System: The Political Economy of Communism," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780198287766, September.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Professor Mark Schaffer) The email address of this maintainer does not seem to be valid anymore. Please ask Professor Mark Schaffer to update the entry or send us the correct address.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.