Caste Discrimination and Transaction Costs in the Labor Market: Evidence from Rural North India
AbstractThis paper is an empirical attempt to quantify caste-based discrimination in the labor market using household data taken from rural North India. In the regression analysis, transaction costs associated with entry into the labor market and reservation wages are estimated along with market wages. The estimation results provide evidence of the existence of transaction costs in the labor market and discrimination against backward classes with regard to access to regular employment. In line with previous studies, the results suggest that the achievements of India's reservation policy so far have at best been limited. In addition, a comparison between the estimates from the model employed in this paper and conventional (reduced-form) approaches shows that discrimination in labor market entry is likely to be underestimated in the conventional reduced-form approaches.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Institute of Economic Research, Hitotsubashi University in its series Hi-Stat Discussion Paper Series with number d06-200.
Date of creation: Jan 2007
Date of revision:
regular employment; casual employment; labor market; India;
Other versions of this item:
- Ito, Takahiro, 2009. "Caste discrimination and transaction costs in the labor market: Evidence from rural North India," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 88(2), pages 292-300, March.
- D23 - Microeconomics - - Production and Organizations - - - Organizational Behavior; Transaction Costs; Property Rights
- J22 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Demand and Supply of Labor - - - Time Allocation and Labor Supply
- J24 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Demand and Supply of Labor - - - Human Capital; Skills; Occupational Choice; Labor Productivity
- J71 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Labor Discrimination - - - Hiring and Firing
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2007-01-23 (All new papers)
- NEP-CWA-2007-01-23 (Central & Western Asia)
- NEP-DEV-2007-01-23 (Development)
- NEP-LAB-2007-01-23 (Labour Economics)
- NEP-SOC-2007-01-23 (Social Norms & Social Capital)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Alan S. Blinder, 1973. "Wage Discrimination: Reduced Form and Structural Estimates," Journal of Human Resources, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 8(4), pages 436-455.
- Deolalikar, Anil B, 1988. "Nutrition and Labor Productivity in Agriculture: Estimates for Rural South India," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 70(3), pages 406-13, August.
- Takahiro Ito & Takashi Kurosaki, 2007.
"Weather Risk, Wages in Kind, and the Off-Farm Labor Supply of Agricultural Households in a Developing Country,"
American Journal of Agricultural Economics,
Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 91(3), pages 697-710.
- Takahiro Ito & Takashi Kurosaki, 2007. "Weather Risk, Wages in Kind, and the Off-Farm Labor Supply of Agricultural Households in a Developing Country," Hi-Stat Discussion Paper Series d07-226, Institute of Economic Research, Hitotsubashi University.
- Osborne, Evan, 2001. "Culture, Development, and Government: Reservations in India," Economic Development and Cultural Change, University of Chicago Press, vol. 49(3), pages 659-85, April.
- Nigel Key & Elisabeth Sadoulet & Alain De Janvry, 2000. "Transactions Costs and Agricultural Household Supply Response," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 82(2), pages 245-259.
- Jacoby, H.G., 1990.
"Shadow Wages And Peasant Family Labor Supply; An Econometric Application To The Peruvian Sierra,"
73, World Bank - Living Standards Measurement.
- Jacoby, Hanan G, 1993. "Shadow Wages and Peasant Family Labour Supply: An Econometric Application to the Peruvian Sierra," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 60(4), pages 903-21, October.
- Vani K. Borooah, 2005. "Caste, Inequality, and Poverty in India," Review of Development Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 9(3), pages 399-414, 08.
- Geeta Gandhi Kingdon & Jeemol Unni, 2001. "Education and Women's Labour Market Outcomes in India," Education Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 9(2), pages 173-195.
- Borooah, Vani & Dubey, Amaresh & Iyer, Sriya, 2007. "The Effectiveness of Jobs Reservation: Caste, Religion, and Economic Status in India," MPRA Paper 19421, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Geeta Gandhi Kingdon, 1997.
"Does the Labour Market Explain Lower Female Schooling in India?,"
STICERD - Development Economics Papers - From 2008 this series has been superseded by Economic Organisation and Public Policy Discussion Papers
01, Suntory and Toyota International Centres for Economics and Related Disciplines, LSE.
- Geeta Gandhi Kingdon, 1998. "Does the labour market explain lower female schooling in India?," Journal of Development Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 35(1), pages 39-65.
- Ito, Takahiro & Kurosaki, Takashi, 2006. "Weather Risk and the Off-Farm Labor Supply of Agricultural Households in India," 2006 Annual Meeting, August 12-18, 2006, Queensland, Australia 25774, International Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Anjini Kochar, 1999. "Smoothing Consumption by Smoothing Income: Hours-of-Work Responses to Idiosyncratic Agricultural Shocks in Rural India," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 81(1), pages 50-61, February.
- Rose, Elaina, 2001. "Ex ante and ex post labor supply response to risk in a low-income area," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 64(2), pages 371-388, April.
- Kaivan Munshi & Mark Rosenzweig, 2006. "Traditional Institutions Meet the Modern World: Caste, Gender, and Schooling Choice in a Globalizing Economy," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 96(4), pages 1225-1252, September.
- Weinberger, Katinka, 2003. "The Impact Of Micronutrients On Labor Productivity: Evidence From Rural India," 2003 Annual Meeting, August 16-22, 2003, Durban, South Africa 25897, International Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Banerjee, Biswajit & Knight, J. B., 1985. "Caste discrimination in the Indian urban labour market," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 17(3), pages 277-307, April.
- Cogan, John F, 1981. "Fixed Costs and Labor Supply," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 49(4), pages 945-63, June.
- Takashi Kurosaki & Humayun Khan, 2006. "Human Capital, Productivity, and Stratification in Rural Pakistan," Review of Development Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 10(1), pages 116-134, 02.
- James J. Heckman & V. Joseph Hotz, 1986. "An Investigation of the Labor Market Earnings of Panamanian Males Evaluating the Sources of Inequality," Journal of Human Resources, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 21(4), pages 507-542.
- Junankar, Pramod N. (Raja) & Shonchoy, Abu, 2013. "The Informal Labour Market in India: Transitory or Permanent Employment for Migrants?," IZA Discussion Papers 7587, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Ray, Jhilam & Majumder, Rajarshi, 2012. "Wages & income mobility in Indian labour market: the post-reform scenario," MPRA Paper 42984, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Aryal, Jeetendra P. & Holden, Stein T., 2011. "Caste, Land and Labor Market Imperfections, and Land Productivity in Rural Nepal," CLTS Working Papers 6/11, Centre for Land Tenure Studies, Norwegian University of Life Sciences.
- Chen, Hung-Ju & Sultana, Rezina, 2013. "Job Reservation and Intergenerational Transmission of Preferences," MPRA Paper 45036, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Kamal Vatta & Takahiro Sato, 2012. "Indian Labour Markets and Returns to Education, 1983 to 2009-10," Discussion Paper Series DP2012-33, Research Institute for Economics & Business Administration, Kobe University.
- Takahiro Ito, 2009. "Education and Its Distributional Impacts on Living Standards," Global COE Hi-Stat Discussion Paper Series gd09-080, Institute of Economic Research, Hitotsubashi University.
- Jeetendra P. Aryal & Stein T. Holden, 2012.
"Livestock and land share contracts in a Hindu society,"
International Association of Agricultural Economists, vol. 43(5), pages 593-606, 09.
- Aryal, Jeetendra P. & Holden, Stein T., 2011. "Livestock and Land Share Contracts in a Hindu Society," CLTS Working Papers 7/11, Centre for Land Tenure Studies, Norwegian University of Life Sciences.
- Takahiro Ito & Kohei Kubota & Fumio Ohtake, 2011. "Noblesse Oblige? Preferences for Income Redistribution among Urban Residents in India," IDEC DP2 Series 1-8, Hiroshima University, Graduate School for International Development and Cooperation (IDEC), revised Mar 2013.
- Mahadevan, Renuka & Suardi, Sandy, 2013. "Is there a role for caste and religion in food security policy? A look at rural India," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 31(C), pages 58-69.
- Viktoria Hnatkovska & Amartya Lahiri, 2011. "The Post-Reform Narrowing of Inequality Across Castes: Evidence from the States," Working Papers 1117, School of International and Public Affairs, Columbia University, revised Jan 2011.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Tatsuji Makino).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.