Intellectual Property Rights Protection and the Location of Research and Development Activities by Multinational Firms
AbstractWe develop a model of the location of global R&D investments by multinational firms, where research investments increase the number of varieties of goods sold globally by the firm, and development activities reduce the cost of producing existing varieties in specific countries. Intellectual Property Rights (IPR) protection in a country enhances the efficiency of the firms' local research as well as the profitability local development efforts. We test predictions of the model on survey data on foreign and domestic R&D for 605 Japanese multinational firms with manufacturing activities in 42 foreign countries in 1996. We find the strength of IPR protection to have a positive impact both on development expenditures and research expenditures in a country, while both research and development expenditures are also sensitive to local wage costs. Research expenditures depend positively on technological opportunities in the industry and country, while development expenditures are positively affected by potential local demand for the firm's products.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Institute of Economic Research, Hitotsubashi University in its series Hi-Stat Discussion Paper Series with number d06-167.
Date of creation: Jun 2006
Date of revision:
R&D; multinational firms; Foreign Direct Investment;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- F23 - International Economics - - International Factor Movements and International Business - - - Multinational Firms; International Business
- O32 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Technological Change; Research and Development; Intellectual Property Rights - - - Management of Technological Innovation and R&D
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2006-07-15 (All new papers)
- NEP-INO-2006-07-15 (Innovation)
- NEP-INT-2006-07-15 (International Trade)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Braga, Helson & Willmore, Larry, 1991. "Technological Imports and Technological Effort: An Analysis of Their Determinants in Brazilian Firms," Journal of Industrial Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 39(4), pages 421-32, June.
- James R. Hines, Jr., 1994.
"No Place Like Home: Tax Incentives and the Location of R&D by American Multinationals,"
NBER Working Papers
4574, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- James R. Hines, Jr., 1994. "No Place Like Home: Tax Incentives and the Location of R&D by American Multinationals," NBER Chapters, in: Tax Policy and the Economy, Volume 8, pages 65-104 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- repec:dgr:unuint:199501 is not listed on IDEAS
- Kumar, Nagesh, 1995.
"Intellectual Property Protection, Market Orientation and Location of Overseas R&D Activities by Multinational Enterprises,"
UNU-INTECH Discussion Paper Series
01, United Nations University - INTECH.
- Kumar, Nagesh, 1996. "Intellectual property protection, market orientation and location of overseas R&D activities by multinational enterprises," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 24(4), pages 673-688, April.
- Kumar, Nagesh & Saqib, Mohammed, 1996. "Firm size, opportunities for adaptation and in-house R & D activity in developing countries: the case of Indian manufacturing," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 25(5), pages 713-722, August.
- SUZUKI Shinya & Rene BELDERBOS & KWON Hyeog Ug & FUKAO Kyoji, 2012. "The Impact of Host Countries' University Research and University-Industry Collaboration on the Location of Research and Development: Evidence from Japanese multinational firms," Discussion papers 12080, Research Institute of Economy, Trade and Industry (RIETI).
- SHIMIZUTANI Satoshi & TODO Yasuyuki, 2007.
"What Determines Overseas R&D Activities? The Case of Japanese Multinational Firms,"
07010, Research Institute of Economy, Trade and Industry (RIETI).
- Shimizutani, Satoshi & Todo, Yasuyuki, 2008. "What determines overseas R&D activities? The case of Japanese multinational firms," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 37(3), pages 530-544, April.
- repec:ner:leuven:urn:hdl:123456789/340794 is not listed on IDEAS
- Martínez-Noya, Andrea & García-Canal, Esteban, 2011. "Technological capabilities and the decision to outsource/outsource offshore R&D services," International Business Review, Elsevier, vol. 20(3), pages 264-277, June.
- RenÃƒÂ© Belderbos, 2006. "R&D Activities in East Asia by Japanese, European, and US Multinationals," Microeconomics Working Papers 21887, East Asian Bureau of Economic Research.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Tatsuji Makino).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.