Trade Effects of the Europe Agreements
AbstractThe eastern enlargement of the European Union (EU) brought and will bring full membership to countries whose trade barriers with the EU had to a large extent already been removed under Free Trade Agreements (FTAs) during the 1990s. We employ a theory-based new version of a gravity equation, whose specification allows for an assessment of the impact of the arrangements on extra- and intra-group imports. We find robust evidence that the agreements have substantially increased intra-group trade, in the case of the Czech and Slovak Republic at the expense of the Rest of the World (ROW).
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Department of Economics, University of Hohenheim, Germany in its series Diskussionspapiere aus dem Institut für Volkswirtschaftslehre der Universität Hohenheim with number 274/2006.
Date of creation: 2006
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: D-70593 Stuttgart
Web page: http://www.uni-hohenheim.de/institution/institut-fuer-economics-11
More information through EDIRC
Free Trade Agreements; Gravity equation; Central and Eastern Europe; Panel data;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- F15 - International Economics - - Trade - - - Economic Integration
- C23 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Single Equation Models; Single Variables - - - Models with Panel Data; Spatio-temporal Models
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2006-11-04 (All new papers)
- NEP-EEC-2006-11-04 (European Economics)
- NEP-INT-2006-11-04 (International Trade)
- NEP-TRA-2006-11-04 (Transition Economics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Jacques Melitz, 2005.
"North, South and Distance in the Gravity Model,"
2005-11, Centre de Recherche en Economie et Statistique.
- Tamim Bayoumi & Barry Eichengreen, 1997.
"Is Regionalism Simply a Diversion? Evidence from the Evolution of the EC and EFTA,"
in: Regionalism versus Multilateral Trade Arrangements, NBER-EASE Volume 6, pages 141-168
National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Bayoumi, Tamim & Eichengreen, Barry, 1995. "Is Regionalism Simply a Diversion? Evidence from the Evolution of the EC and EFTA," CEPR Discussion Papers 1294, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Tamim Bayoumi & Barry J. Eichengreen, 1995. "Is Regionalism Simply a Diversion? Evidence from the Evolution of the EC and EFTA," IMF Working Papers 95/109, International Monetary Fund.
- Tamim Bayoumi & Barry Eichengreen, 1995. "Is Regionalism Simply a Diversion? Evidence From the Evolution of the EC and EFTA," NBER Working Papers 5283, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Shang-Jin Wei & Jeffrey A. Frankel, 1995.
"Open Regionalism in a World of Continental Trade Blocs,"
NBER Working Papers
5272, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Shang-Jin Wei & Jeffrey A. Frankel, 1998. "Open Regionalism in a World of Continental Trade Blocs," IMF Staff Papers, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 45(3), pages 440-453, September.
- Jeffrey A. Frankel & Shang-Jin Wei, 1998. "Open Regionalism in a World of Continental Trade Blocs," IMF Working Papers 98/10, International Monetary Fund.
- James E. Anderson & Eric van Wincoop, 2003.
"Gravity with Gravitas: A Solution to the Border Puzzle,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 93(1), pages 170-192, March.
- James E. Anderson & Eric van Wincoop, 2001. "Gravity with Gravitas: A Solution to the Border Puzzle," NBER Working Papers 8079, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- James E. Anderson & Eric van Wincoop, 2000. "Gravity with Gravitas: A Solution to the Border Puzzle," Boston College Working Papers in Economics 485, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Claus-Friedrich Laaser & Klaus Schrader, 2002. "European Integration and Changing Trade Patterns: The Case of the Baltic States," Kiel Working Papers 1088, Kiel Institute for the World Economy.
- Soloaga, Isidro & Alan Wintersb, L., 2001.
"Regionalism in the nineties: what effect on trade?,"
The North American Journal of Economics and Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 12(1), pages 1-29, March.
- Soloaga, Isidro & Winters, L. Alan, 1999. "Regionalism in the Nineties: What Effect on Trade?," CEPR Discussion Papers 2183, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Baldwin, Richard & Taglioni, Daria, 2006.
"Gravity for Dummies and Dummies for Gravity Equations,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
5850, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Richard Baldwin & Daria Taglioni, 2006. "Gravity for Dummies and Dummies for Gravity Equations," NBER Working Papers 12516, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Carrere, Celine, 2006. "Revisiting the effects of regional trade agreements on trade flows with proper specification of the gravity model," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 50(2), pages 223-247, February.
- Baldwin, Richard E., 2006. "The euro’s trade effects," Working Paper Series 0594, European Central Bank.
- Luca De Benedictis & Roberta De Santis & Claudio Vicarelli, 2005.
"Hub-and-Spoke or else? Free trade agreements in the 'enlarged' European Union,"
European Journal of Comparative Economics,
Cattaneo University (LIUC), vol. 2(2), pages 245-260, December.
- Luca De Benedictis & Roberta De Santis & Claudio Vicarelli, 2005. "Hub-and-Spoke or else? Free trade agreements in the “enlarged” European Union," ISAE Working Papers 52, ISTAT - Italian National Institute of Statistics - (Rome, ITALY).
- Bergstrand, Jeffrey H, 1985. "The Gravity Equation in International Trade: Some Microeconomic Foundations and Empirical Evidence," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 67(3), pages 474-81, August.
- Kimberly A. Clausing, 2001. "Trade creation and trade diversion in the Canada - United States Free Trade Agreement," Canadian Journal of Economics, Canadian Economics Association, vol. 34(3), pages 677-696, August.
- Peter Egger, 2002.
"An Econometric View on the Estimation of Gravity Models and the Calculation of Trade Potentials,"
The World Economy,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 25(2), pages 297-312, 02.
- Peter Egger, . "An Econometric View on the Estimation of Gravity Models and the Calculation of Trade Potentials," WIFO Working Papers 141, WIFO.
- Antonis Adam & James McHugh & Theodora Kosma, 2003. "Trade Liberalization Strategies," IMF Working Papers 03/239, International Monetary Fund.
- Limao, Nuno & Venables, Anthony J., 1999. "Infrastructure, geographical disadvantage, and transport costs," Policy Research Working Paper Series 2257, The World Bank.
- Martin, Carmela & Turrion, Jaime, 2003.
"The Trade Impact of the Integration of the Central and Eastern European Countries on the European Union,"
Journal of Economic Integration,
Center for Economic Integration, Sejong University, vol. 18, pages 288-306.
- Carmela Martin & Jaime Turrión., 2001. "The trade impact of the integration of the Central and Eastern European Countries on the European Union," European Economy Group Working Papers 11, European Economy Group.
- Paas, Tiiu, 2003. "Regional Integration and International Trade in the Context of EU Eastward Enlargement," HWWA Discussion Papers 218, Hamburg Institute of International Economics (HWWA).
- de santis, roberta, 2011.
"Impact of environmental regulations on trade in the main EU countries: conflict or synergy?,"
37756, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Roberta De Santis, 2012. "Impact of Environmental Regulations on Trade in the Main EU Countries: Conflict or Synergy?," The World Economy, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 35(7), pages 799-815, 07.
- Oxana Babecka Kucharcukova & Jan Babecky & Martin Raiser, 2010. "A Gravity Approach to Modelling International Trade in South-Eastern Europe and the Commonwealth of Independent States: The Role of Geography, Policy and Institutions," Working Papers 2010/04, Czech National Bank, Research Department.
- Mitze, Timo & Alecke, Björn & Untiedt, Gerhard, 2008. "Trade, FDI and Cross-Variable Linkages: A German (Macro-)Regional Perspective," MPRA Paper 12245, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Katharina Eck, 2009. "Decomposing a decade's growth of Central and Eastern Europe's trade," Memoranda - Policy Papers 40, Institut für Ost- und Südosteuropaforschung (Institute for East and South-East European Studies).
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ulrike Berberich) The email address of this maintainer does not seem to be valid anymore. Please ask Ulrike Berberich to update the entry or send us the correct address.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.