The Effect of Capital Flow Management Measures in Five Asian Economies on the Foreign Exchange Market
AbstractThis paper examines the effects of the capital flow management measures (CFMs) introduced by five Asian economies (Indonesia, Korea, Malaysia, the Philippines and Thailand) to deal with large capital inflows on the foreign exchange market. Using the GARCH methodology, this paper models the changes in these economies¡¦ exchange rates against the US dollar with the eight CFMs from February 2010 to March 2011 as the focal explanatory variable. The empirical results show that four CFMs stabilised the exchange rates by reducing exchange rate volatility and one had an effect on the exchange rate level. However, their effects on the currency option market were mixed.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Hong Kong Institute for Monetary Research in its series Working Papers with number 412011.
Length: 15 pages
Date of creation: Dec 2011
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: 55th Floor , Two International Finance Centre , 8 Finance Street , Central, Hong Kong
Phone: (852)2878 1978
Fax: (852)2878 7006
Web page: http://www.hkimr.org
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Mahmood Pradhan & Ravi Balakrishnan & Reza Baqir & Geoffrey Heenan & Sylwia Nowak & Ceyda Oner & Sanjaya Panth, 2011. "Policy Responses to Capital Flows in Emerging Markets," IMF Staff Discussion Notes 11/10, International Monetary Fund.
- Benedict J. Clements & Herman Kamil, 2009. "Are Capital Controls Effective in the 21st Century? The Recent Experience of Colombia," IMF Working Papers 09/30, International Monetary Fund.
- Bruno Coelho & Kevin Gallagher, 2010. "Capital Controls and 21st Century Financial Crises: Evidence from Colombia and Thailand," Working Papers wp213, Political Economy Research Institute, University of Massachusetts at Amherst.
- Edwards, Sebastian & Rigobon, Roberto, 2009. "Capital controls on inflows, exchange rate volatility and external vulnerability," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 78(2), pages 256-267, July.
- Robert Engle, 2001. "GARCH 101: The Use of ARCH/GARCH Models in Applied Econometrics," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 15(4), pages 157-168, Fall.
- Hoshikawa, Takeshi, 2008. "The effect of intervention frequency on the foreign exchange market: The Japanese experience," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 27(4), pages 547-559, June.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (HKIMR).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.