Pricing in International Markets: A 'Small Country' Benchmark
AbstractThis study examines exchange rate pass-through in a 'small country' context. The study uses a panel of disaggregated exports from Hong Kong to its major flexible exchange rate destinations since 1992. Most existing evidence on pass-through is taken from G7 countries and finds that export prices (in the importing currency) respond less than fully to exchange rate changes. The notable exception is for exports from the United States. Existing evidence suggests that exporters from the U.S. apparently do not mitigate export prices in response to exchange rates, while other countries' exporters routinely pass-through less than 100% of exchange rate changes. This study provides a benchmark by which to interpret the puzzling behavior of U.S. export prices. Empirically, Hong Kong's export price behavior overwhelmingly supports the competitive paradigm. In only a few cases is there evidence of less than complete pass-through by Hong Kong's exporters. The panel data set also allows an additional question to be addressed. In particular, there is no evidence of differences in pass-through across export destinations. Thus, by inference, near complete pass-through by U.S. exporters suggests similar competitive behavior.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Hong Kong Institute for Monetary Research in its series Working Papers with number 112001.
Length: 17 pages
Date of creation: Oct 2001
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: 55th Floor , Two International Finance Centre , 8 Finance Street , Central, Hong Kong
Phone: (852)2878 1978
Fax: (852)2878 7006
Web page: http://www.hkimr.org
More information through EDIRC
Other versions of this item:
- David C. Parsley, 2004. "Pricing in International Markets: a "Small-country" Benchmark," Review of International Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 12(3), pages 509-524, 08.
- David Parsley, 2002. "Pricing in International Markets: a 'Small-Country' Benchmark," International Finance 0211002, EconWPA.
- F30 - International Economics - - International Finance - - - General
- F41 - International Economics - - Macroeconomic Aspects of International Trade and Finance - - - Open Economy Macroeconomics
- F42 - International Economics - - Macroeconomic Aspects of International Trade and Finance - - - International Policy Coordination and Transmission
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Knetter, Michael M, 1989. "Price Discrimination by U.S. and German Exporters," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 79(1), pages 198-210, March.
- Jonathan McCarthy, 2007.
"Pass-Through of Exchange Rates and Import Prices to Domestic Inflation in Some Industrialized Economies,"
Eastern Economic Journal,
Eastern Economic Association, vol. 33(4), pages 511-537, Fall.
- J. McCarthy, 1999. "Pass-through of exchange rates and import prices to domestic inflation in some industrialised economies," BIS Working Papers 79, Bank for International Settlements.
- Jonathan McCarthy, 2000. "Pass-through of exchange rates and import prices to domestic inflation in some industrialized economies," Staff Reports 111, Federal Reserve Bank of New York.
- Ilan Goldfajn & Sérgio Ribeiro da Costa Werlang, 2000.
"The Pass-through from Depreciation to Inflation: A Panel Study,"
Working Papers Series
5, Central Bank of Brazil, Research Department.
- Ilan Goldfajn & Sergio R.C. Werlang, 2000. "The pass-through from depreciation to inflation : a panel study," Textos para discussÃ£o 423, Department of Economics PUC-Rio (Brazil).
- Rudiger Dornbusch, 1985.
"Exchange Rates and Prices,"
NBER Working Papers
1769, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Catherine L. Mann, 1986. "Prices, profit margins, and exchange rates," Federal Reserve Bulletin, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.), issue Jun, pages 366-379.
- Parsley, David C, 1995. "Exchange-Rate Pass-through with Intertemporal Linkages: Evidence at the Commodity Level," Review of International Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 3(3), pages 330-41, October.
- Kenneth A. Froot & Paul Klemperer, 1989.
"Exchange Rate Pass-Through When Market Share Matters,"
NBER Working Papers
2542, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Froot, Kenneth A & Klemperer, Paul D, 1989. "Exchange Rate Pass-Through When Market Share Matters," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 79(4), pages 637-54, September.
- Atish R. Ghosh & Holger C. Wolf, 1994.
"Pricing in International Markets: Lessons from The Economist,"
94-21, New York University, Leonard N. Stern School of Business, Department of Economics.
- Atish R. Ghosh & Holger C. Wolf, 1994. "Pricing in International Markets: Lessons From The Economist," NBER Working Papers 4806, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Marston, Richard C., 1990. "Pricing to market in Japanese manufacturing," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 29(3-4), pages 217-236, November.
- Michael Bleaney, 1997. "Invoicing-Currency Effects in the Pricing of Japanese Exports of Manufactures," Canadian Journal of Economics, Canadian Economics Association, vol. 30(4), pages 968-74, November.
- Pinelopi K. Goldberg & Michael M. Knetter, 1996.
"Goods Prices and Exchange Rates: What Have We Learned?,"
NBER Working Papers
5862, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Pinelopi Koujianou Goldberg & Michael M. Knetter, 1997. "Goods Prices and Exchange Rates: What Have We Learned?," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 35(3), pages 1243-1272, September.
- Paul Krugman, 1986. "Pricing to Market when the Exchange Rate Changes," NBER Working Papers 1926, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Yushi Yoshida & Shinji Takagi, 1999. "Exchange Rate Movements and Tradable Goods Prices in East Asia," IMF Working Papers 99/31, International Monetary Fund.
- Irving B. Kravis & Robert E. Lipsey, 1975.
"International Trade Prices and Price Proxies,"
in: The Role of the Computer in Economic and Social Research in Latin America, pages 253-268
National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Taylor, John B., 2000. "Low inflation, pass-through, and the pricing power of firms," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 44(7), pages 1389-1408, June.
- Sven W. Arndt & J. David Richardson, 1987. "Real-Financial Linkages Among Open Economies," NBER Working Papers 2230, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Sarah Guillou & Stefano Schiavo, 2007.
"Export prices and increasing world competition : evidence from French, German and Italian pricing behavior,"
Sciences Po publications
2007-25, Sciences Po.
- Sarah Guillou & Stefano Schiavo, 2007. "Export prices and increasing world competition: evidence from French, German, and Italian pricing behavior," Documents de Travail de l'OFCE 2007-25, Observatoire Francais des Conjonctures Economiques (OFCE).
- Frankel, Jeffrey & Parsley, David & Wei, Shang-Jin, 2005.
"Slow Passthrough Around the World: A New Import for Developing Countries?,"
Working Paper Series
rwp05-016, Harvard University, John F. Kennedy School of Government.
- Jeffrey Frankel & David Parsley & Shang-Jin Wei, 2012. "Slow Pass-through Around the World: A New Import for Developing Countries?," Open Economies Review, Springer, vol. 23(2), pages 213-251, April.
- Jeffrey A. Frankel & David C. Parsley & Shang-Jin Wei, 2005. "Slow Passthrough Around the World: A New Import for Developing Countries?," NBER Working Papers 11199, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Guillaume Gaulier & Amina Lahrèche-Révil & Isabelle Méjean, 2008.
"Exchange-rate pass-through at the product level,"
Canadian Journal of Economics,
Canadian Economics Association, vol. 41(2), pages 425-449, May.
- Craig R. Parsons & Kiyotaka Sato, 2008. "New estimates of exchange rate pass-through in Japanese exports An earlier version of this paper was presented at the 10th International Convention of the East Asian Economic Association in Beijing, C," International Journal of Finance & Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 13(2), pages 174-183.
- Mallick, Sushanta & Marques, Helena, 2012. "Pricing to market with trade liberalization: The role of market heterogeneity and product differentiation in India’s exports," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 31(2), pages 310-336.
- repec:spo:wpecon:info:hdl:2441/6123 is not listed on IDEAS
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (HKIMR).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.