An Empirical Model for Durations in Stocks
AbstractThis paper considers an extension of the univariate autoregressive conditional duration model to which durations from a second stock are added. The model is empirically used to study durations in two traded stocks, Ericsson B and AstraZeneca, on the Stockholm Stock Exchange. It is found that including durations from a second stock may add explanatory power to the univariate model. Ericsson B is Granger causing durations in AstraZeneca, while AstraZeneca is not Granger causing durations in Ericsson B. Volume, spread and trade intensity changes have significant effects for both series.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Umeå University, Department of Economics in its series Umeå Economic Studies with number 657.
Length: 23 pages
Date of creation: 05 Apr 2005
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Department of Economics, Umeå University, S-901 87 Umeå, Sweden
Phone: 090 - 786 61 42
Fax: 090 - 77 23 02
Web page: http://www.econ.umu.se/
More information through EDIRC
multivariate; duration; transaction data; market microstructure;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- C12 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric and Statistical Methods and Methodology: General - - - Hypothesis Testing: General
- C32 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Multiple or Simultaneous Equation Models; Multiple Variables - - - Time-Series Models; Dynamic Quantile Regressions; Dynamic Treatment Effect Models
- C41 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric and Statistical Methods: Special Topics - - - Duration Analysis; Optimal Timing Strategies
- G14 - Financial Economics - - General Financial Markets - - - Information and Market Efficiency; Event Studies
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2005-04-16 (All new papers)
- NEP-CFN-2005-04-16 (Corporate Finance)
- NEP-FIN-2005-04-16 (Finance)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Kurt Brannas & Ola Simonsen, 2007.
"Discretized time and conditional duration modelling for stock transaction data,"
Applied Financial Economics,
Taylor and Francis Journals, vol. 17(8), pages 647-658.
- Brännäs, Kurt & Simonsen, Ola, 2003. "Discretized Time and Conditional Duration Modelling for Stock Transaction Data," UmeÃ¥ Economic Studies 610, Umeå University, Department of Economics.
- Easley, David & O'Hara, Maureen, 1992. " Time and the Process of Security Price Adjustment," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 47(2), pages 576-605, June.
- Engle, Robert F & Lunde, Asger, 1998.
"Trades and Quotes: A Bivariate Point Process,"
University of California at San Diego, Economics Working Paper Series
qt8bh079sq, Department of Economics, UC San Diego.
- Spierdijk, L. & Nijman, T.E. & Soest, A.H.O. van, 2002. "Modeling Comovements in Trading Intensities to Distinguish Sector and Stock Specific News," Discussion Paper 2002-69, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Grammig, Joachim & Wellner, Marc, 2002. "Modeling the interdependence of volatility and inter-transaction duration processes," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 106(2), pages 369-400, February.
- BAUWENS, Luc & GIOT, Pierre & GRAMMIG, Joachim & VEREDAS, David, .
"A comparison of financial duration models via density forecasts,"
CORE Discussion Papers RP
-1746, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Bauwens, Luc & Giot, Pierre & Grammig, Joachim & Veredas, David, 2004. "A comparison of financial duration models via density forecasts," International Journal of Forecasting, Elsevier, vol. 20(4), pages 589-609.
- BAUWENS , Luc & GIOT, Pierre & GRAMMIG, Joachim & VEREDAS, David, 2000. "A comparison of financial duration models via density forecasts," CORE Discussion Papers 2000060, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Luc Bauwens & Pierre Giot & Joachim Grammig & David Veredas, 2000. "A Comparison of Financial Duration Models via Density Forecasts," Econometric Society World Congress 2000 Contributed Papers 0810, Econometric Society.
- Luc Bauwens & Pierre Giot & Joachim Grammig & David Veredas, 2004. "A comparison of financial duration models via density forecast," ULB Institutional Repository 2013/136218, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Hansen, Lars Peter, 1982. "Large Sample Properties of Generalized Method of Moments Estimators," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 50(4), pages 1029-54, July.
- BAUWENS, Luc & HAUTSCH, Nikolaus, 2003. "Dynamic latent factor models for intensity processes," CORE Discussion Papers 2003103, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Robert F. Engle & Jeffrey R. Russell, 1998. "Autoregressive Conditional Duration: A New Model for Irregularly Spaced Transaction Data," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 66(5), pages 1127-1162, September.
- Granger, C W J, 1969. "Investigating Causal Relations by Econometric Models and Cross-Spectral Methods," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 37(3), pages 424-38, July.
- BAUWENS, Luc & GALLi, Fausto & GIOT, Pierre, .
"The moments of Log-ACD models,"
CORE Discussion Papers RP
-2023, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Simonsen, Ola, 2006. "Stock Data, Trade Durations, And Limit Order Book Information," UmeÃ¥ Economic Studies 689, Umeå University, Department of Economics.
- Simonsen, Ola, 2006. "The Impact of News Releases on Trade Durations in Stocks -Empirical Evidence from Sweden," UmeÃ¥ Economic Studies 688, Umeå University, Department of Economics.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Kjell-Göran Holmberg).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.