Earnings assimilation of immigrants in Norway : a reappraisal
AbstractThe relative earnings growth for immigrants in Norway is computed. Unlike Hayfron (1998, this journal) we define immigrants by country of origin rather than citizenship and perform separate studies of immigrants from inside and outside the OECD region. Replicating Hayfron op.cit. we find that the earnings assimilation is considerably weaker. Further, we find that the earnings of OECD immigrants are comparable to those of natives, while Non-OECD immigrants earn considerably less than natives at the time of entry, but that their relative earnings improve gradually over time. Earnings of different immigrant cohorts converged from 1980 to 1990, indicating a non-linear rate of assimilation. Copyright Springer-Verlag Berlin Heidelberg 2003
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Oslo University, Department of Economics in its series Memorandum with number 05/2000.
Date of creation: 2000
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Department of Economics, University of Oslo, P.O Box 1095 Blindern, N-0317 Oslo, Norway
Phone: 22 85 51 27
Fax: 22 85 50 35
Web page: http://www.oekonomi.uio.no/indexe.html
More information through EDIRC
Other versions of this item:
- Pål Longva & Oddbjørn Raaum, 2003. "Earnings assimilation of immigrants in Norway – A reappraisal," Journal of Population Economics, Springer, vol. 16(1), pages 177-193, 02.
- J31 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Wages, Compensation, and Labor Costs - - - Wage Level and Structure; Wage Differentials
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Longva, P. & Raaum, O., 1998. "Unemployment and Relative Earnings of Immigrants," Memorandum 02/1998, Oslo University, Department of Economics.
- Borjas, George J., 1999. "The economic analysis of immigration," Handbook of Labor Economics, in: O. Ashenfelter & D. Card (ed.), Handbook of Labor Economics, edition 1, volume 3, chapter 28, pages 1697-1760 Elsevier.
- John E. Hayfron, 1998. "The performance of immigrants in the Norwegian labor market," Journal of Population Economics, Springer, vol. 11(2), pages 293-303.
- Haegeland, Torbjorn & Klette, Tor Jakob & Salvanes, Kjell G, 1999.
" Declining Returns to Education in Norway? Comparing Estimates across Cohorts, Sectors and Over Time,"
Scandinavian Journal of Economics,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 101(4), pages 555-76, December.
- Haegeland, T. & Klette, T.J. & Salvanes, K.G., 1999. "Declining Returns to Education in NOrway? Comparing Estimates Across Cohorts, Sectors and Over Time," Papers 14/99, Norwegian School of Economics and Business Administration-.
- Borjas, George J, 1985. "Assimilation, Changes in Cohort Quality, and the Earnings of Immigrants," Journal of Labor Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 3(4), pages 463-89, October.
- Cristina Fernández & Ana Carolina Ortega Masagué, 2006.
"Labor Market Assimilation of Immigrants in Spain: Employment at the Expense of Bad Job-Matches?,"
- Cristina Fernández & Carolina Ortega, 2008. "Labor market assimilation of immigrants in Spain: employment at the expense of bad job-matches?," Spanish Economic Review, Springer, vol. 10(2), pages 83-107, June.
- Fernandez, Cristina & Ortega, Carolina, 2006. "Labour market assimilation of immigrants in Spain: employment at the expense of bad job-matches?," IESE Research Papers D/644, IESE Business School.
- Longva, Pal, 2001. "Out-migration of immigrants : implications for assimilation analysis," Memorandum 04/2001, Oslo University, Department of Economics.
- Akay, Alpaslan & Tezic, Kerem, 2007. "Local Unemployment and the Earnings-Assimilation of Immigrant Men in Sweden: Evidence from Longitudinal Data, 1990-2000," Working Papers in Economics 277, University of Gothenburg, Department of Economics, revised 21 Jan 2007.
- Nekby, Lena, 2004.
"The Emigration of Immigrants, Return vs. Onward Migration: Evidence from Sweden,"
Research Papers in Economics
2004:7, Stockholm University, Department of Economics.
- Lena Nekby, 2006. "The emigration of immigrants, return vs onward migration: evidence from Sweden," Journal of Population Economics, Springer, vol. 19(2), pages 197-226, June.
- Akay, Alpaslan & Karabulut, Gokhan & Tezic, Kerem, 2006. "Economic Performance of Turkish Immigrant Men in the European Labour-Market: Evidence from Sweden," Working Papers in Economics 240, University of Gothenburg, Department of Economics.
- Vikman, Ulrika, 2013. "Paid parental leave to immigrants: An obstacle to labor market entrance?," Working Paper Series, Center for Labor Studies 2013:4, Uppsala University, Department of Economics.
- Barth, Erling & Bratsberg, Bernt & Raaum, Oddbjørn, 2003. "Local Unemployment and the Earnings Assimilation of Immigrants in Norway," Memorandum 19/2002, Oslo University, Department of Economics.
- Nielsen, Chantal Pohl, 2007. "Immigrant overeducation : evidence from Denmark," Policy Research Working Paper Series 4234, The World Bank.
- Akay, Alpaslan, 2009. "Dynamics of the Employment Assimilation of First-Generation Immigrant Men in Sweden: Comparing Dynamic and Static Assimilation Models with Longitudinal Data," IZA Discussion Papers 4655, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Taryn Ann Galloway, 2006. "Do Immigrants Integrate Out of Poverty in Norway," Discussion Papers 482, Research Department of Statistics Norway.
- Christian Dustmann & Albrecht Glitz, 2011.
"Migration and Education,"
CReAM Discussion Paper Series
1105, Centre for Research and Analysis of Migration (CReAM), Department of Economics, University College London.
- Akay, Alpaslan & Tsakas, Elias, 2006. "Second Order Approximation for the Average Marginal Effect of Heckman's Two Step Procedure," Working Papers in Economics 239, University of Gothenburg, Department of Economics.
- Taryn Ann Galloway, 2006. "The Labor Market Integration of Immigrant Men and Women," Discussion Papers 483, Research Department of Statistics Norway.
- Akay, Alpaslan, 2007. "Dynamics of Employment- and Earnings-Assimilation of First-Generation Immigrant Men in Sweden, 1990-2000," Working Papers in Economics 279, University of Gothenburg, Department of Economics.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Rhiana Bergh-Seeley).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.