The performance of immigrants in the Norwegian labor market
AbstractThis paper tests the assimilation hypothesis with Norwegian data. Using both cross-section and cohort analyses, the results show that the 1970-1979 immigrant cohort experienced an earnings growth of about 11% between 1980 and 1990, when their earnings profile was compared to that of natives. This is lower than the 19% assimilation rate predicted by the cross-section method. On the contrary, the results reveal a rapid earnings divergence across cohorts, and between the 1960-1969 cohort and natives. It is also shown that the "quality" of successive immigrant waves has declined over time, thus biasing the cross-section estimates of assimilation.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Springer in its journal Journal of Population Economics.
Volume (Year): 11 (1998)
Issue (Month): 2 ()
Note: Received: 8 August 1995 / Accepted: 7 January 1997
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://link.springer.de/link/service/journals/00148/index.htm
More information through EDIRC
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- J15 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Demographic Economics - - - Economics of Minorities, Races, Indigenous Peoples, and Immigrants; Non-labor Discrimination
- J61 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Mobility, Unemployment, Vacancies, and Immigrant Workers - - - Geographic Labor Mobility; Immigrant Workers
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Galloway, Taryn Ann & Aaberge, Rolf, 2003.
"Assimilation Effects on Poverty Among Immigrants in Norway,"
07/2003, Oslo University, Department of Economics.
- Taryn Ann Galloway & Rolf Aaberge, 2005. "Assimilation effects on poverty among immigrants in Norway," Journal of Population Economics, Springer, vol. 18(4), pages 691-718, November.
- Bauer, Thomas K. & Lofstrom, Magnus & Zimmermann, Klaus F., 2000. "Immigration Policy, Assimilation of Immigrants and Natives' Sentiments towards Immigrants: Evidence from 12 OECD-Countries," IZA Discussion Papers 187, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Taryn Ann Galloway, 2006. "The Labor Market Integration of Immigrant Men and Women," Discussion Papers 483, Research Department of Statistics Norway.
- Aslan Zorlu & Joop Hartog, 2005.
"The effect of immigration on wages in three european countries,"
Journal of Population Economics,
Springer, vol. 18(1), pages 113-151, December.
- Hartog, Joop & Zorlu, Aslan, 2002. "The Effect of Immigration on Wages in Three European Countries," IZA Discussion Papers 642, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Aslan Zorlu & Joop Hartog, 2002. "The effect of immigration on wages in three European countries," NIMA Working Papers 19, Núcleo de Investigação em Microeconomia Aplicada (NIMA), Universidade do Minho.
- Christian Dustmann & Albrecht Glitz, 2011.
"Migration and Education,"
Norface Discussion Paper Series
2011011, Norface Research Programme on Migration, Department of Economics, University College London.
- Taryn Ann Galloway, 2008. "Re-Examining the Earnings Assimilation of Immigrants," Discussion Papers 570, Research Department of Statistics Norway.
- Abdeslam Marfouk, 2008. "The African brain drain: scope and determinants," DULBEA Working Papers 08-07.RS, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Barth, Erling & Bratsberg, Bernt & Raaum, Oddbjørn, 2003. "Local Unemployment and the Earnings Assimilation of Immigrants in Norway," Memorandum 19/2002, Oslo University, Department of Economics.
- Hammarstedt, Mats, 2007. "Intergenerational mobility among three generations of immigrants in Sweden," CAFO Working Papers 2007:4, Centre for Labour Market Policy Research (CAFO), School of Business and Economics, Linnaeus University.
- Longva,P. & Raaum,O., 2000.
"Earnings assimilation of immigrants in Norway : a reappraisal,"
05/2000, Oslo University, Department of Economics.
- Pål Longva & Oddbjørn Raaum, 2003. "Earnings assimilation of immigrants in Norway – A reappraisal," Journal of Population Economics, Springer, vol. 16(1), pages 177-193, 02.
- Eliasson, Tove, 2013. "Decomposing immigrant wage assimilation - the role of workplaces and occupations," Working Paper Series, Center for Labor Studies 2013:6, Uppsala University, Department of Economics.
- Longva, Pal, 2001. "Out-migration of immigrants : implications for assimilation analysis," Memorandum 04/2001, Oslo University, Department of Economics.
- Taryn Ann Galloway, 2006. "Do Immigrants Integrate Out of Poverty in Norway," Discussion Papers 482, Research Department of Statistics Norway.
- Eliasson, Tove, 2013. "Decomposing immigrant wage assimilation - the role of workplaces and occupations," Working Paper Series 2013:7, IFAU - Institute for Evaluation of Labour Market and Education Policy.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Guenther Eichhorn) or (Christopher F Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.