Bargaining Versus Efficiency Wages in a Dynamic Labor Market: A Synthesis
AbstractWe construct a model integrating the efficiency wage model of Shapiro-Stiglitz (1984) with the matching-bargaining models of Diamond, Mortensen and Pissarides (DMP). Firms and workers form pairwise matches, workers may shirk on the job, and the wage is set in an asymmetric Nash bargain over the surplus created by nonshirking. The wage is then always higher, and employment lower, than in both the corresponding Shapiro=Stiglitz and DMP models.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Oslo University, Department of Economics in its series Memorandum with number 22/1998.
Length: 31 pages
Date of creation: 1998
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Department of Economics, University of Oslo, P.O Box 1095 Blindern, N-0317 Oslo, Norway
Phone: 22 85 51 27
Fax: 22 85 50 35
Web page: http://www.oekonomi.uio.no/indexe.html
More information through EDIRC
WAGES ; BARGAINING ; EFFICIENCY ; WAGES ; LABOUR MARKET;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- J31 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Wages, Compensation, and Labor Costs - - - Wage Level and Structure; Wage Differentials
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Strand, Jon, 1987. "Unemployment as a Discipline Device with Heterogeneous Labor [Equilibrium Unemployment as a Worker Discipline Device]," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 77(3), pages 489-93, June.
- Ellingsen, T. & Rosen, A., 1997.
"Fixed or Flexible? Wage Setting in Search Equilibrium,"
1997-17, Uppsala - Working Paper Series.
- Tore Ellingsen & Asa Rosen, 2003. "Fixed or Flexible? Wage-setting in Search Equilibrium," Economica, London School of Economics and Political Science, vol. 70(278), pages 233-250, 05.
- Ellingsen, Tore & Rosén, Åsa, 1997. "Fixed or Flexible? Wage Setting in Search Equilibrium," Working Paper Series in Economics and Finance 185, Stockholm School of Economics.
- Ellingsen, Tore & Rosén, Åsa, 1997. "Fixed or Flexible? Wage Setting in Search Equilibrium," Working Paper Series 1997:17, Uppsala University, Department of Economics.
- Dale T. Mortensen, 1978. "Specific Capital, Bargaining, and Labor Turnover," Discussion Papers 320, Northwestern University, Center for Mathematical Studies in Economics and Management Science.
- Diamond, Peter A, 1982. "Wage Determination and Efficiency in Search Equilibrium," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 49(2), pages 217-27, April.
- Ordover, Janusz A. & Shapiro, Carl, 1983.
"Advances in Supervision Technology and Economic Welfare: A General Equilibrium Analysis,"
83-18, C.V. Starr Center for Applied Economics, New York University.
- Ordover, Janusz A. & Shapiro, Carl, 1984. "Advances in supervision technology and economic welfare: a general equilibrium analysis," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 25(3), pages 371-389, December.
- Strand, J., 1992. "Employment and Wages with deferred Wage Payments in Models of Worker Moral Hazard," Memorandum 07/1992, Oslo University, Department of Economics.
- Lazear, Edward P, 1981. "Agency, Earnings Profiles, Productivity, and Hours Restrictions," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 71(4), pages 606-20, September.
- Carmichael, Lorne, 1985. "Can Unemployment Be Involuntary? Comment [Equilibrium Unemployment as a Worker Discipline Device]," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 75(5), pages 1213-14, December.
- MacLeod, W Bentley & Malcomson, James M, 1989.
"Implicit Contracts, Incentive Compatibility, and Involuntary Unemployment,"
Econometric Society, vol. 57(2), pages 447-80, March.
- W. Bentley MacLeod & James M. Malcomson, 1986. "Implicit Contracts, Incentive Compatibility, and Involuntary Unemployment," Working Papers 585, Queen's University, Department of Economics.
- Strand, Jon, 1991. "Unemployment and Wages under Worker Moral Hazard with Firm-Specific Cycles," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 32(3), pages 601-12, August.
- Albrecht, James W & Vroman, Susan B, 1998. "Nash Equilibrium Efficiency Wage Distributions," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 39(1), pages 183-203, February.
- Strand, Jon, 1999. "Efficient environmental taxation under moral hazard," European Journal of Political Economy, Elsevier, vol. 15(1), pages 73-88, March.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Rhiana Bergh-Seeley).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.