Servicification of Manufacturing - Evidence from Swedish Firm and Enterprise Group Level Data
AbstractThe manufacturing industry in industrialised countries is often argued to servicify - use and sell more services - but knowledge is poor. We examine the phenomenon using detailed and com-prehensive micro level data at both the firm and enterprise group level for Sweden (1997-2006). We find that manufacturing is servicifying substantially. Services and qualified services are increasingly characterising in-house activity in manufacturing. The results imply that treat-ing services and manufacturing separately - for instance in trade policy negotiations - may be inappropriate in industrialised countries. Finally, the findings illustrate the value of enterprise group level data when studying structural economic changes.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Örebro University, School of Business in its series Working Papers with number 2010:3.
Length: 35 pages
Date of creation: 24 Mar 2010
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Örebro University School of Business, SE - 701 82 ÖREBRO, Sweden
Phone: 019-30 30 00
Fax: 019-33 25 46
Web page: http://www.oru.se/Institutioner/Handelshogskolan-vid-Orebro-universitet/
More information through EDIRC
servicification; manufacturing; deindustrialisation; enterprise group level data; firm data; outsourcing; offshoring;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- F14 - International Economics - - Trade - - - Empirical Studies of Trade
- L16 - Industrial Organization - - Market Structure, Firm Strategy, and Market Performance - - - Industrial Organization and Macroeconomics; Macroeconomic Industrial Structure
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Falk, Martin & Peng, Fei, 2011. "The increasing service intensity of European manufacturing," MPRA Paper 38600, University Library of Munich, Germany.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.