Vertical Distribution, Parallel Trade, and Price Divergence in Integrated Markets
AbstractWe develop a model of vertical pricing in which an original manufacturer sets wholesale prices in two markets that are integrated at the distributor level by parallel imports (PI). The manufacturing firm needs to set these two prices to balance three competing interests: restricting competition in the PI-recipient market, avoiding resource wastes due to actual trade, and reducing the double-markup problem in the PI-source nation. These trade-offs imply the counterintuitive result that both wholesale and retail prices could diverge as a result of declining trading costs, even as the volume of PI increases. Thus, in some circumstances it may be misleading to think of PI as an unambiguous force for price integration.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Research Institute of Industrial Economics in its series Working Paper Series with number 639.
Length: 30 pages
Date of creation: 15 Apr 2005
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Research Institute of Industrial Economics, Box 55665, SE-102 15 Stockholm, Sweden
Phone: +46 8 665 4500
Fax: +46 8 665 4599
Web page: http://www.ifn.se/
More information through EDIRC
Vertical Restraints; Parallel Imports; Market Integration;
Other versions of this item:
- Ganslandt, Mattias & Maskus, Keith E., 2007. "Vertical distribution, parallel trade, and price divergence in integrated markets," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 51(4), pages 943-970, May.
- F12 - International Economics - - Trade - - - Models of Trade with Imperfect Competition and Scale Economies
- F15 - International Economics - - Trade - - - Economic Integration
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2005-05-07 (All new papers)
- NEP-COM-2005-05-07 (Industrial Competition)
- NEP-INT-2005-05-07 (International Trade)
- NEP-MIC-2005-05-07 (Microeconomics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Raff, Horst & Schmitt, Nicolas, 2004.
"Exclusive Dealing and Common Agency in International Markets,"
Economics Working Papers
2004,09, Christian-Albrechts-University of Kiel, Department of Economics.
- Raff, Horst & Schmitt, Nicolas, 2006. "Exclusive dealing and common agency in international markets," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 68(2), pages 485-503, March.
- Horst Raff & Nicolas Schmitt, 2004. "Exclusive Dealing and Common Agency in International Markets," CESifo Working Paper Series 1168, CESifo Group Munich.
- Horst Raff & Nicolas Schmitt, 2000.
"Endogenous Vertical Restraints in International Trade,"
CESifo Working Paper Series
284, CESifo Group Munich.
- Raff, Horst & Schmitt, Nicolas, 2005. "Endogenous vertical restraints in international trade," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 49(7), pages 1877-1889, October.
- Horst Raff & Nicolas Schmitt, 2000. "Endogenous Vertical Restraints in International Trade," Discussion Papers dp00-04, Department of Economics, Simon Fraser University, revised Feb 2000.
- Richardson, Martin, 2002. "An elementary proposition concerning parallel imports," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 56(1), pages 233-245, January.
- Yongmin Chen, 2005. "Vertical Disintegration," Journal of Economics & Management Strategy, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 14(1), pages 209-229, 03.
- Malueg, David A. & Schwartz, Marius, 1994.
"Parallel imports, demand dispersion, and international price discrimination,"
Journal of International Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 37(3-4), pages 167-195, November.
- Malueg, D.A. & Schwartz, M., 1993. "Parallel Imports, Demand Dispersion and International Price Discrimination," Papers 93-6, U.S. Department of Justice - Antitrust Division.
- Yongmin Chen & Keith Maskus, 2005. "Vertical Pricing and Parallel Imports," Journal of International Trade & Economic Development, Taylor and Francis Journals, vol. 14(1), pages 1-18.
- Friberg, Richard & Martensen, Kaj, 2001. "Endogenous Market Segmentation and the Law of One Price," Working Paper Series in Economics and Finance 471, Stockholm School of Economics.
- Keith E. Maskus, 2000. "Parallel Imports," The World Economy, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 23(9), pages 1269-1284, 09.
- Giorgio Matteucci & Pierfrancesco Reverberi, 2011. "Parallel trade and its impact on incentives to invest in product quality," DIS Technical Reports 2011-05, Department of Computer, Control and Management Engineering, Università degli Studi di Roma "La Sapienza".
- Raimondos-Møller, Pascalis & Schmitt, Nicolas, 2007.
"Commodity Taxation and Parallel Imports,"
04-2007, Copenhagen Business School, Department of Economics.
- Mattias Ganslandt & Keith E. Maskus, 2007.
"Wholesale Price Discrimination and Parallel Imports,"
CESifo Working Paper Series
1951, CESifo Group Munich.
- Ganslandt, Mattias & Maskus, Keith E., 2007. "Wholesale Price Discrimination and Parallel Imports," Working Paper Series 702, Research Institute of Industrial Economics.
- Mazumdar, Mainak & Banerjee, Dyuti S., 2012. "On price discrimination, parallel trade and the availability of patented drugs in developing countries," International Review of Law and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 32(1), pages 188-195.
- A. Mantovani & A. Naghavi, 2010.
"Parallel Imports and Innovation in an Emerging Economy,"
688, Dipartimento Scienze Economiche, Universita' di Bologna.
- Andrea Mantovani & Alireza Naghavi, 2010. "Parallel Imports and Innovation in an Emerging Economy," Center for Economic Research (RECent) 038, University of Modena and Reggio E., Dept. of Economics.
- Andrea Mantovani & Alireza Naghavi, 2010. "Parallel Imports and Innovation in an Emerging Economy," Working Papers 2010.40, Fondazione Eni Enrico Mattei.
- Kamal Saggi & Santanu Roy, 2011.
"Strategic Competition and Optimal Parallel Import Policy,"
Vanderbilt University Department of Economics Working Papers
1117, Vanderbilt University Department of Economics.
- Santanu Roy & Kamal Saggi, 2012. "Strategic competition and optimal parallel import policy," Canadian Journal of Economics, Canadian Economics Association, vol. 45(4), pages 1369-1396, November.
- Eichberger, Jürgen & Mueller-Langer, Frank, 2012. "On the Welfare Effects of Exclusive Distribution Arrangements," MPRA Paper 39691, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Li, Changying & Maskus, Keith E., 2006. "The impact of parallel imports on investments in cost-reducing research and development," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 68(2), pages 443-455, March.
- Witte, Mark David, 2009. "The currency denomination of external European Union imports after European Union expansion," Economic Systems, Elsevier, vol. 33(3), pages 245-258, September.
- McCalman, Phillip, 2010. "Trade policy in a "super size me" world," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 81(2), pages 206-218, July.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Elisabeth Gustafsson).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.