Vertical Pricing and Parallel Imports
AbstractWe generalize an earlier model of international vertical pricing to explain key features of parallel imports, or unauthorized trade in legitimate goods. When a manufacturer (or trademark owner) sells its product through an independent agent in one country, the agent may find it profitable to engage in parallel trade, selling the product to another country without the authorization of the manufacturer. Although parallel imports can be deterred when the manufacturer's wholesale price is sufficiently high, there is a trade-off between improving vertical pricing efficiency and reducing parallel imports. In equilibrium, parallel imports can come from a country with higher retail prices, which is consistent with some factual data. While countries have varying interests in such a policy, restricting parallel imports tends to increase global welfare when trade cost is high, but may reduce welfare when trade cost is low. This finding suggests that open parallel trading regimes may be most appropriate within regional trade agreements.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Taylor & Francis Journals in its journal The Journal of International Trade & Economic Development.
Volume (Year): 14 (2005)
Issue (Month): 1 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/RJTE20
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Granlund, David & Yesim Köksal, Miyase, 2012. "EU Enlargement, Parallel Trade and Price Competition in Pharmaceuticals - What’s to Blame? Derogation or Perception?," HUI Working Papers 59, HUI Research.
- Ganslandt, Mattias & Maskus, Keith E., 2005.
"Vertical Distribution, Parallel Trade, and Price Divergence in Integrated Markets,"
Working Paper Series
639, Research Institute of Industrial Economics.
- Ganslandt, Mattias & Maskus, Keith E., 2007. "Vertical distribution, parallel trade, and price divergence in integrated markets," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 51(4), pages 943-970, May.
- Ganslandt, Mattias & Maskus, Keith E., 2007.
"Wholesale Price Discrimination and Parallel Imports,"
Working Paper Series
702, Research Institute of Industrial Economics.
- Mattias Ganslandt & Keith E. Maskus, 2007. "Wholesale Price Discrimination and Parallel Imports," CESifo Working Paper Series 1951, CESifo Group Munich.
- Granlund, David & Köksal, Miyase Yesim, 2011. "Parallel Imports and Mandatory Substitution Reform - A Kick or A Muff for Price Competition in Pharmaceuticals?," HUI Working Papers 49, HUI Research.
- Hsiu-Li Chen, 2009. "Gray Marketing: Does It Hurt the Manufacturers?," Atlantic Economic Journal, International Atlantic Economic Society, vol. 37(1), pages 23-35, March.
- Granlund, David, 2012. "The effect of pharmacies’ right to negotiate discounts on the market share of parallel imported pharmaceuticals," HUI Working Papers 75, HUI Research.
- Ying Xiao & Udatta Palekar & Yunchuan Liu, 2011. "Shades of gray—the impact of gray markets on authorized distribution channels," Quantitative Marketing and Economics, Springer, vol. 9(2), pages 155-178, June.
- Raimondos-Møller, Pascalis & Schmitt, Nicolas, 2007.
"Commodity Taxation and Parallel Imports,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
6580, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Brekke, Kurt R. & Holmås, Tor Helge & Straume, Odd Rune, 2014.
"Price Regulation and Parallel Imports of Pharmaceuticals,"
Discussion Paper Series in Economics
1/2014, Department of Economics, Norwegian School of Economics.
- Kurt R. Brekke & Tor Helge Holmås & Odd Rune Straume, 2014. "Price Regulation and Parallel Imports of Pharmaceuticals," NIPE Working Papers 01/2014, NIPE - Universidade do Minho.
- Granlund, David & Yesim Köksal, Miyase, 2011. "EU Enlargement, Parallel Trade and Price Competition in Pharmaceuticals - What’s to Blame? Derogation or Perception?," UmeÃ¥ Economic Studies 831, Umeå University, Department of Economics.
- Shen Guo & Bin Hu & Hai Zhong, 2013. "Impact of parallel trade on pharmaceutical firm’s profits: rise or fall?," The European Journal of Health Economics, Springer, vol. 14(2), pages 345-355, April.
- Granlund, David & Yesim Köksal, Miyase, 2011. "EU Enlargement, Parallel Trade and Price Competition in Pharmaceuticals. What's blame? Derogation or perception?," Working Papers in Economics 499, University of Gothenburg, Department of Economics.
- Granlund, David & Yesim Köksal, Miyase, 2011. "Parallel Imports and Mandatory Substitution Reform: A kick or a muff for price competition in pharmaceuticals," Working Papers in Economics 496, University of Gothenburg, Department of Economics.
- Joan Costa-i-Font & Panos Kanavos, 2007. "Medicines in parallel trade in the European Union: a gravity specification," LSE Research Online Documents on Economics 28787, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.