Routes to Equity Market Integration - The Interplay between Politicians, Investors and Managers
AbstractMost econometric studies of equity market integration suggest that national markets are increasingly becoming part of a global equity market. As regards the extent of this integration, however, the results are often inconclusive. Further analysis calls for a closer scrutiny of the basic requirements for perfect integration. This paper presents an analysis of market segmentation in terms of existing regulatory and informational wedges, based on conditions in the Nordic welfare states. It is found that no barriers remain to cross-border equity market transactions, nor consequently to the perfect global integration of Nordic equity markets in a capital-flow perspective. However, certain residual cross-border tax wedges do challenge the view of perfect equity market integration. Further, continuing cross-border information gaps for small and medium-sized companies indicate the presence of a two-tier equity market integration.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Research Institute of Industrial Economics in its series Working Paper Series with number 526.
Length: 35 pages
Date of creation: 09 Feb 2000
Date of revision:
Publication status: Published in Journal of Multinational Financial Management, 2001, pages 183-211.
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Research Institute of Industrial Economics, Box 55665, SE-102 15 Stockholm, Sweden
Phone: +46 8 665 4500
Fax: +46 8 665 4599
Web page: http://www.ifn.se/
More information through EDIRC
Equity market integration; Foreign equity issue; Cross-listing;
Other versions of this item:
- Oxelheim, Lars, 2001. "Routes to equity market integration -- the interplay between politicians, investors and managers," Journal of Multinational Financial Management, Elsevier, vol. 11(2), pages 183-211, April.
- F30 - International Economics - - International Finance - - - General
- F36 - International Economics - - International Finance - - - Financial Aspects of Economic Integration
- G15 - Financial Economics - - General Financial Markets - - - International Financial Markets
- G18 - Financial Economics - - General Financial Markets - - - Government Policy and Regulation
- G38 - Financial Economics - - Corporate Finance and Governance - - - Government Policy and Regulation
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Naranjo, Andy & Protopapadakis, Aris, 1997. "Financial market integration tests: an investigation using US equity markets," Journal of International Financial Markets, Institutions and Money, Elsevier, vol. 7(2), pages 93-135, July.
- French, Kenneth R & Poterba, James M, 1991.
"Investor Diversification and International Equity Markets,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 81(2), pages 222-26, May.
- Kenneth R. French & James M. Poterba, 1991. "Investor Diversification and International Equity Markets," NBER Working Papers 3609, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Errunza, Vihang & Losq, Etienne, 1985. " International Asset Pricing under Mild Segmentation: Theory and Test," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 40(1), pages 105-24, March.
- Hamao, Yasushi & Masulis, Ronald W & Ng, Victor, 1990. "Correlations in Price Changes and Volatility across International Stock Markets," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 3(2), pages 281-307.
- Bansal, Ravi & Hsieh, David A & Viswanathan, S, 1993. " A New Approach to International Arbitrage Pricing," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 48(5), pages 1719-47, December.
- Eun, Cheol S & Janakiramanan, S, 1986. " A Model of International Asset Pricing with a Constraint on the Foreign Equity Ownership," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 41(4), pages 897-914, September.
- Lau, Sie Ting & Diltz, J. David, 1994. "Stock returns and the transfer of information between the New York and Tokyo stock exchanges," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 13(2), pages 211-222, April.
- Eun, Cheol S. & Shim, Sangdal, 1989. "International Transmission of Stock Market Movements," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 24(02), pages 241-256, June.
- Mervyn King & Enrique Sentana & Sushil Wadhwani, 1990.
"Volatiltiy and Links Between National Stock Markets,"
NBER Working Papers
3357, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- King, Mervyn & Sentana, Enrique & Wadhwani, Sushil, 1994. "Volatility and Links between National Stock Markets," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 62(4), pages 901-33, July.
- Liljeblom, Eva & Loflund, Anders & Krokfors, Svante, 1997. "The benefits from international diversification for Nordic investors," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 21(4), pages 469-490, April.
- Black, Fischer, 1974. "International capital market equilibrium with investment barriers," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 1(4), pages 337-352, December.
- Susmel, Raul & Engle, Robert F., 1994. "Hourly volatility spillovers between international equity markets," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 13(1), pages 3-25, February.
- Tesar, Linda L. & Werner, Ingrid M., 1995. "Home bias and high turnover," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 14(4), pages 467-492, August.
- Cho, D Chinhyung & Eun, Cheol S & Senbet, Lemma W, 1986. " International Arbitrage Pricing Theory: An Empirical Investigation," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 41(2), pages 313-29, June.
- Harvey, Campbell R, 1991. " The World Price of Covariance Risk," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 46(1), pages 111-57, March.
- Hietala, Pekka T, 1989. " Asset Pricing in Partially Segmented Markets: Evidence from the Finnish Market," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 44(3), pages 697-718, July.
- Jorion, Philippe, 1985. "International Portfolio Diversification with Estimation Risk," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 58(3), pages 259-78, July.
- Glen, Jack & Jorion, Philippe, 1993. " Currency Hedging for International Portfolios," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 48(5), pages 1865-86, December.
- Oxelheim, Lars & Randoy, Trond & Stonehill, Arthur, 2011. "What Can International Finance Add to International Strategy?," Working Paper Series 888, Research Institute of Industrial Economics.
- Oxelheim, Lars, 2008.
"Globalization, Transparency and Economic Growth: The Vulnerability of Chinese Firms to Macroeconomic Shocks,"
Working Paper Series
768, Research Institute of Industrial Economics.
- Oxelheim, Lars, 2010. "Globalization, transparency and economic growth: The vulnerability of Chinese firms to macroeconomic shocks," Journal of Asian Economics, Elsevier, vol. 21(1), pages 66-75, February.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Elisabeth Gustafsson).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.