Excess use of Temporary Parental Benefit
AbstractIn this report we examine the excess use of Temporary Parental Benefit for parents who need to stay home from work when their children are sick. This study is based on a randomized experiment that took place during the spring 2006. The method used is rather new and more ambitious than those used in similar studies in the past. One advantage with this more elaborate technique is that a larger part of the veiled excessive use can be discovered. The result points to that as much as 22.5 percent of the costs for this social insurance are due to excess use. There are significant gender differences; women’s excess use amounts to 19 percent of their total use while the corresponding figure for men is 28 percent.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by IFAU - Institute for Evaluation of Labour Market and Education Policy in its series Working Paper Series with number 2007:18.
Length: 57 pages
Date of creation: 22 Aug 2007
Date of revision:
Temporary Parental Benefit; randomized experiment;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- J32 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Wages, Compensation, and Labor Costs - - - Nonwage Labor Costs and Benefits; Retirement Plans; Private Pensions
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2007-09-09 (All new papers)
- NEP-IAS-2007-09-09 (Insurance Economics)
- NEP-LAB-2007-09-09 (Labour Economics)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Angelov, Nikolay & Johansson, Per & Lindahl, Erica, 2013.
"Gender differences in sickness absence and the gender division of family responsibilities,"
Working Paper Series, Center for Labor Studies
2013:5, Uppsala University, Department of Economics.
- Angelov, Nikolay & Johansson, Per & Lindahl, Erica, 2013. "Gender differences in sickness absence and the gender division of family responsibilities," Working Paper Series 2013:9, IFAU - Institute for Evaluation of Labour Market and Education Policy.
- Angelov, Nikolay & Johansson, Per & Lindahl, Erica, 2013. "Gender Differences in Sickness Absence and the Gender Division of Family Responsibilities," IZA Discussion Papers 7379, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Persson, Malin, 2011. "Substitution between temporary parental leave and sickness absence," Working Paper Series 2011:19, IFAU - Institute for Evaluation of Labour Market and Education Policy.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Margareta Wicklander).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.