Panel Cointegration of Chinese A and B Shares
AbstractThis paper uses panel unit root and cointegration methods to test the stationarity of the premium on domestic investors’ A shares over foreign investors’ B shares and cointegration between the A and B share prices on the Chinese stock exchanges. We find that the A share price premium is nonstationary until 2001, when the A and B share markets were partially merged, and that the A and B share prices are cointegrated in the panel.Cointegration is more likely to be found for firms in the service sector and for firms that issued B shares recently.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Hanken School of Economics in its series Working Papers with number 500.
Length: 18 pages
Date of creation: 31 Dec 2003
Date of revision:
Note: This paper is published as: Ahlgren, Niklas, Sjö, Bo and Zhang, Jianhua, 'Panel Cointegration of Chinese A and B Shares', Applied Financial Economics, 19, 1859-1871.
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Hanken School of Economics, Arkadiankatu 22, P.O.B. 479; FIN 00101 Helsinki, Finland
Phone: +358-9-431 331
Fax: +358-9-431 33 333
Web page: http://www.hanken.fi
More information through EDIRC
Chinese A and B shares; Cointegration; Information diffusion; Panel data; Segmentation; Unit root;
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Mookerjee, Rajen & Yu, Qiao, 1999. "An empirical analysis of the equity markets in China," Review of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 8(1), pages 41-60, June.
- Rolf Larsson & Johan Lyhagen & Mickael Lothgren, 2001.
"Likelihood-based cointegration tests in heterogeneous panels,"
Royal Economic Society, vol. 4(1), pages 41.
- Larsson, Rolf & Lyhagen, Johan & Löthgren, Mickael, 1998. "Likelihood-Based Cointegration Tests in Heterogeneous Panels," Working Paper Series in Economics and Finance 250, Stockholm School of Economics, revised 27 Aug 1998.
- John Fernald & John H. Rogers, 1998.
"Puzzles in the Chinese stock market,"
International Finance Discussion Papers
619, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Im, Kyung So & Pesaran, M. Hashem & Shin, Yongcheol, 2003.
"Testing for unit roots in heterogeneous panels,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 115(1), pages 53-74, July.
- Tom Doan, . "IPSHIN: RATS procedure to implement Im, Pesaran and Shin panel unit root test," Statistical Software Components RTS00098, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Pasaran, M.H. & Im, K.S. & Shin, Y., 1995. "Testing for Unit Roots in Heterogeneous Panels," Cambridge Working Papers in Economics 9526, Faculty of Economics, University of Cambridge.
- Chakravarty, Sugato & Sarkar, Asani & Wu, Lifan, 1998.
"Information asymmetry, market segmentation and the pricing of cross-listed shares: theory and evidence from Chinese A and B shares,"
Journal of International Financial Markets, Institutions and Money,
Elsevier, vol. 8(3-4), pages 325-356, December.
- Sugato Chakravarty & Asani Sarkar & Lifan Wu, 1998. "Information asymmetry, market segmentation, and the pricing of cross-listed shares: theory and evidence from Chinese A and B shares," Research Paper 9820, Federal Reserve Bank of New York.
- Grossman, Sanford J & Stiglitz, Joseph E, 1980.
"On the Impossibility of Informationally Efficient Markets,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 70(3), pages 393-408, June.
- Sanford J Grossman & Joseph E Stiglitz, 1997. "On the Impossibility of Informationally Efficient Markets," Levine's Working Paper Archive 1908, David K. Levine.
- Bergstrom, Clas & Tang, Ellen, 2001. "Price differentials between different classes of stocks: an empirical study on Chinese stock markets," Journal of Multinational Financial Management, Elsevier, vol. 11(4-5), pages 407-426, December.
- Lehmann, Bruce N., 2002. "Some desiderata for the measurement of price discovery across markets," Journal of Financial Markets, Elsevier, vol. 5(3), pages 259-276, July.
- Sjoo, Boo & Zhang, Jianhua, 2000. "Market segmentation and information diffusion in China's stock markets," Journal of Multinational Financial Management, Elsevier, vol. 10(3-4), pages 421-438, December.
- Maddala, G S & Wu, Shaowen, 1999. " A Comparative Study of Unit Root Tests with Panel Data and a New Simple Test," Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics, Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 61(0), pages 631-52, Special I.
- Levin, Andrew & Lin, Chien-Fu & James Chu, Chia-Shang, 2002.
"Unit root tests in panel data: asymptotic and finite-sample properties,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 108(1), pages 1-24, May.
- Tom Doan, . "LEVINLIN: RATS procedure to perform Levin-Lin-Chu test for unit roots in panel data," Statistical Software Components RTS00242, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Bailey, Warren, 1994. "Risk and return on China's new stock markets: Some preliminary evidence," Pacific-Basin Finance Journal, Elsevier, vol. 2(2-3), pages 243-260, May.
- Chui, Andy C W & Kwok, Chuck C Y, 1998. "Cross-Autocorrelation between A Shares and B Shares in the Chinese Stock Market," Journal of Financial Research, Southern Finance Association & Southwestern Finance Association, vol. 21(3), pages 333-53, Fall.
- Konstantin A. Kholodilin & Jan-Oliver Menz & Boriss Siliverstovs, 2007.
"What Drives Housing Prices Down?: Evidence from an International Panel,"
Discussion Papers of DIW Berlin
758, DIW Berlin, German Institute for Economic Research.
- Konstantin A. Kholodilin & Jan-Oliver Menz & Boriss Siliverstovs, 2010. "What Drives Housing Prices Down? Evidence from an International Panel," Journal of Economics and Statistics (Jahrbuecher fuer Nationaloekonomie und Statistik), Justus-Liebig University Giessen, Department of Statistics and Economics, vol. 230(1), pages 59-76, February.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Staffan Dellringer).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.