A Social Choice Approach To Primary Resource Management: The Rubber Tree Case In Africa
AbstractWe consider in the present paper an original approach to a decision making problem related to the management of a primary resource, namely the rubber tree. By using the social choice theory through approval voting, we show that it is possible to improve the return of the crop. Hence, by selecting the best varieties to be planted with respect to some environmental constraints, we demonstrate that approval voting can be easily used (opposed to classical operation research methods) by the African rubber tree planters in order to get a plantation at peak performance.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by HAL in its series Post-Print with number halshs-00804065.
Date of creation: Mar 2013
Date of revision:
Publication status: Published, Forest Policy and Economics, 2013, 28, 8-14
Note: View the original document on HAL open archive server: http://halshs.archives-ouvertes.fr/halshs-00804065
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://hal.archives-ouvertes.fr/
Natural resource management; Rubber tree; Social choice; Group decision making;
Other versions of this item:
- Moussa Diaby & Hélène Ferrer & Fabrice Valognes, 2013. "A Social Choice Approach to Primary Resource Management: The rubber tree Case in Africa," Economics Working Paper Archive (University of Rennes 1 & University of Caen) 201305, Center for Research in Economics and Management (CREM), University of Rennes 1, University of Caen and CNRS.
- NEP-AFR-2013-04-06 (Africa)
- NEP-ALL-2013-04-06 (All new papers)
- NEP-CDM-2013-04-06 (Collective Decision-Making)
- NEP-ENV-2013-04-06 (Environmental Economics)
- NEP-RES-2013-04-06 (Resource Economics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Fabrice Valognes & Hélène Ferrer & Moussa Diaby & André Clément-Demange, 2011. "A Comprehensive Decision Approach for Rubber Tree Planting Management in Africa," Post-Print halshs-00650533, HAL.
- Moussa Diaby & Fabrice Valognes & André Clément-Demange, 2010. "Utilisation d'une méthode multicritère d'aide à la décision pour le choix des clones d'hévéa à planter en Afrique," Post-Print halshs-00565246, HAL.
- Fishburn, Peter C., 1978. "Axioms for approval voting: Direct proof," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 19(1), pages 180-185, October.
- Martin, Wade E. & Shields, Deborah J. & Tolwinski, Boleslaw & Kent, Brian, 1996. "An application of social choice theory to U.S.D.A. forest service decision making," Journal of Policy Modeling, Elsevier, vol. 18(6), pages 603-621, December.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (CCSD).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.